Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where you misheard the lyrics and like your version better

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, April 10, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Quote from: EFB on November 12, 2015, 02:25:11 PM
Blur - Song 2

Woohoo
Well I feel heavy metal
Woohoo
And I'm pins and I'm needles
Woohoo
Well I lie and I'm easy
All of the time well I never know why I need you
Is there any jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk

Go listen and try telling me that he's not asking for jam. After hearing it this way, I saw an NMTB episode where they "misheard" it in exactly the same way. No no no, we did not mishear. He is asking for jam.

Are you Tony Hawks?

Black Ship

Blur - thought the last lines of "Lot 105" was "Anderson's a weirdo" about his ongoing spat with Sir Brett of Suede

Is actually "Eighteen times a week, love."

Bhazor

Used to think the chorus of Subterranean Homesick Blues went "Daddy's in the basement mixin' up the medicine/ Momma's on the pavement thinkin' bout the government". Which I always thought was about a mother resorting to prostitution to pay for medical costs.

JesusAndYourBush

Steven

Quote from: MoonDust on January 13, 2016, 10:14:59 PM
Listening to Bowie's Life on Mars? and the line:

I always misheard it as "Lenin", not "Lennon".

I think that was the point, also Elvis used to call him John Lenin.

MoonDust

zomgmouse

I thought the Lenin/Lennon homophone was deliberate, given the previous line "Now the workers have struck for fame"...?

MoonDust

Well that was my original point. Given the previous line I just assumed it was "Lenin". Never entered my head it could have been "Lennon" as well.

But apparently it was deliberate, which is fair enough, but still I don't get it. Why would it make sense if it sounds like Lennon? Given "the workers have struck for fame", Lenin would be the only person to mention that would make sense between Lenin and Lennon.

Unless it's the fact they've struck "for fame" which makes Lennon relevant here. Since "fame" is more associated with celebrities rather than historical figures? Is that it?

This could be posted in the lyrics not being relate-able thread. I have a hard time understanding lyrics...

Black Ship

I thought the line was "the workers have struck a vein"  as in a mining reference, but also a drug reference if you think about it

Entropy Balsmalch

Berthas Fat Leg

Nirvana - Dumb.
"I'm so horny - that's ok, my willy's good.."

Kane Jones

MoonDust

Quote from: Berthas Fat Leg on January 15, 2016, 12:28:55 PM
Nirvana - Dumb Lithium.
"I'm so horny - that's ok, my willy's good.."

Phonetically he actually does say that, though. Just change "willy's" to "will is".

Pseudopath

On the subject of misheard Bowie lyrics, I've spent the past 38 years of existence unquestioning of the belief that the lyrics of Ziggy Stardust include the line:

QuoteMaking love with a seagull

Apparently I'm not alone.

buttgammon

That song's full of them. I thought it was 'leather messiah' rather than 'leper messiah' until a year or two ago. At around the same time, I also realised "just the beer light to guide us" is the lyric, even though it sounds like a bizarre mishearing.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: iamcoop on October 09, 2015, 09:50:26 AM
An ex work colleague once asked me what a minesheerun was after Golden Brown came on the radio.

'....Lays me down, with my minesheerun...'

I told him it was probably some sort of persian opium pipe.

Yup, me too, only I spelt it "mancheera" and thought it was either some kind of variation on a mandala, or, as you suggested, some kind of drug apparatus.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: phantom_power on January 13, 2016, 10:56:04 PMI thought it was "black gas"

It is.  Holly Johnson even talked about it in interviews, that it meant oil (for those fans who hadn't quite worked that out), along with explaining how Ronald Reagan used to do TV adverts for Van Heusen shirts.

Although I refuse to believe that the pre-coda half-yelled "something must give now!" (which would make perfect sense in the context of both song and video) is actually "sock it to me biscuits now", which is what all the official sources say.

EDIT: I've spent nearly 32 years trying to work out what the fuck that would mean, and it's only now just occurred to me that if you read "me" as meaning "my", then "biscuits" is probably Liverpudlian slang for something filthy.  Urbandictionary tells me it can mean "buttocks", which - if that slang meaning existed in 1984 - would make some kind of sense I suppose... but it has fuck all to do with nuclear war.

"Something must give now!" is far better, and that's what I shall always hear it as.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Another Nirvana one:

Quote from: all apologies
What else should I be
All apologies
In the sun
In the sun I feel as one
In the sun
In the sun

Mary Berry

Steven

The strange with Come As You Are for me is the famous line 'soaked in bleach' as with the name of the movie, I always thought was 'served in bleach' which to me sounds better. But if I listen to the line with 'served' in my head you can definitely hear it as that, and then if you listen to it with the word 'soaked' in your head you can hear that as well, very strange.

phantom_power

I always thought it said "Sefton Beach" which I thought was where they used to hang out in Seattle

pigamus

Quote from: thraxx on January 13, 2016, 10:57:53 PM
Are you Tony Hawks?

Yeah, he likes to ride his skateboard as the girls with colitis go by.

Mr Banlon

The missus[nb]My one, not everybody's[/nb]hates some advert with the Matthew Wilder song 'Break My Stride' in it. She thinks it's a really annoying earworm of a song.
She thought the lyrics were : "Ain't nothing gonna break-a my spine, nobody gonna slow me down. Oh no, I got to keep on moving."
I prefer her lyrics. 

georgetaylor

A-ha - The Swing of Things...

Oh, but how can I sleep
With your voice in my head
With an ocean between us
And poo in my bed

...something about the way he sings poo as if it's the most awful thing and he can't bear to say it.

buttgammon

From Bowie's Suffragette City - "the smell of fat chicks just put my spine out of place". I'm still not 100% convinced this isn't the lyric but it's so ridiculous, it can't be.

the

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 20, 2016, 06:02:24 PMAlthough I refuse to believe that the pre-coda half-yelled "something must give now!" (which would make perfect sense in the context of both song and video) is actually "sock it to me biscuits now", which is what all the official sources say.

Looking at the vid, I'd say it IS "something must give now":

Even being charitable about the 'biscuits' line, in order for it to scan it would have to be "sock me bis-cuits nooooow" anyway.

You could argue that biscuits = bollocks (as in the biscuit barrel), ie. 'kick me in the bollocks then'. But that's a bit testicular tentative.

Vodka Margarine

I've been on a bit of an early 80s synthpop binge of late and was reminded of the chanty bit in The Human League's wonderful 'The Things That Dreams Are Made Of' that I can never hear correctly, either by accident or design -

New York, ice cream, TV, travel, good times
Norman Wisdom, Joey Joey Deacon, good times

Correct version:

New York, ice cream, TV, travel, good times
Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times

Entropy Balsmalch

Girl VII by Saint Etienne on Foxbase Alpha contains a very reverby sung bit throughout which I've never been able to work out.

https://youtu.be/6URiNDEQA-s?t=11m57s

I thought it was "From days away..." or "Five days away"

I've also heard someone say it was "Raise a waiver"

You can also hear "Carrie's got a boyfriend" if you listen really closely - but that was shot down by the band themselves.

Any clues anyone?

Serge

In my head it's always been 'days of wigwam', which I know isn't correct, but it's stuck there now.

If the band have pooh-poohed 'Carrie's got a boyfriend', why can't they just tell us what it is?

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: Serge on May 19, 2016, 03:53:35 PM
In my head it's always been 'days of wigwam', which I know isn't correct, but it's stuck there now.

If the band have pooh-poohed 'Carrie's got a boyfriend', why can't they just tell us what it is?

It comes out on the commentary for Foxbase Beta.

The guys say they can't remember - but remember at the time people asking them if it was Carrie's got a boyfriend, but it wasn't.

Richard X - who did the reproduction was one of the "raise a waiver" camp - but says he now knows exactly what it is - but deliberately recorded versions of all the suggested lines to drop in to the new version to muddy the waters.