Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The dodgiest sleeves in your music collection

Started by Spiteface, September 22, 2004, 09:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

I think we all have at least one CD that has iffy artwork.

for me, it's this...

In a word, Gay.  One of my fave albums at the moment though.

king_tubby

http://www.theunsane.com/photos.html

I have the first one. Good album, trying far too hard to be 'offensive' cover. Goes back to the thread on GD about the beheading vids on the net, I think it's just unecessary and pointless really. Of course, when I bought it 13 (?) years ago I thought it was 'cool', but then, we all grow up don't we?

Fuckwittio

This is a fine LP, but I try to keep the sleeve turned around when I listen to it. Aretha did the 'art'work herself, so she only has herself to blame for the LP's poor sales.

Worst. Sleeve. Ever.

fanny splendid

Bought purely for the back cover. Wheelchair epidemic by The Jesus Lizard

Sulphagne

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001GNKSW.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001E5SRA.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">

Sigh. You're right, it just doesn't compare to what's already on show.

NaN

not one i actually own... but worth a mention anyway

there is nothing right with that image

Duffy

Amongst albums I've put back on the shelf because their covers were just wrong are Kevin Rowland's "My Beauty" and a Butthole Surfers one I can't remember that had a deformed kid on the front.

Ambient Sheep

"Blind Faith" is of course notorious, and I don't really feel like getting locked up by posting it on here.  I don't own it, even though it's supposed to be a really good album, mainly because of the cover.

One that always made me gawp was an album by Princess Tinymeat about 20 years ago.  A websearch hasn't found it (although it found a similar but more inoffensive cover), so sadly I can't post it here.  Suffice to say it features a man in drag with a very tiny penis.

Ciarán2

I really don't like the sleeve to XTC's "Go 2". I think they got their undeserved "clever-clever" reputation from there, really.

"This is the sleeve. And you are looking at it. With your eyes." (or whatever it is).

Oh, fuck off.

They made up for it with "English Settlement" and "Oranges and Lemons" though.

Dr David V

Fatboy Slim's new one:

Fatboy Slim's old one:

Take a close look at them both. On that note, good night.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't own it, but I saw this one the other day and it made me laugh heartily:

ColinBradshaw

I own this.

And this - worst record in my collection.

Marty McFly

Best album title ever.

Second best album title ever.  Does exactly what it says on the tin.

I've still got 5Star's Luxury of Life album somewhere, bought from Asda for £4.49 about 20 years ago.  It features the whole band sitting around in a gold room sipping tea.  I'd post a picture of it, but it's such a naff delight that I'll let  you discover it for yourselves.  See also: Popped In Souled Out by Wet Wet Wet.

Jack Skellington

Unicorn, you just made me cry laughing. THE BEST ALBUM COVER EVER!!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Ciarán"I really don't like the sleeve to XTC's "Go 2".
Well I do, so nerrr.  Brilliant stuff, had me absolutely enthralled in the record shop.  It's a Hipgnosis design, and I *think* is an idea that Pink Floyd rejected; not 100% sure on that though.

Quote from: "Ciarán""This is the sleeve. And you are looking at it. With your eyes." (or whatever it is).
You mean
Quote from: "XTC"This is a RECORD COVER. This writing is the DESIGN upon the
record cover.  The DESIGN is to help SELL the record.  We hope
to draw your attention to it and encourage you to pick it up.
When you have done that maybe you'll be persuaded to listen to
the music - in this case XTC's Go 2 album.  Then we want you
to BUY it.  The idea being that the more of you that buy this
record the more money Virgin Records, the manager Ian Reid and
XTC themselves will make.  To the aforementioned this is known
as PLEASURE...
And so on and so on.  If anyone wants to read the whole thing (well the front only, not the back or the inside), it's here.

I suppose these days it might seem quaintly naff to us post-modern sophisticates, but back when it came out it was - compared to all the other 70s hideousness you see around you on this thread - a work of genius.

Elastic Spastic Shashlik

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep""Blind Faith" is of course notorious, and I don't really feel like getting locked up by posting it on here.

Lock me up!

Fuckwittio

I don't have this LP, but I wish I did just for the cover. Isn't it great?

Duffy

By a bizarre coincidence, there's a "Top 10 Worst Album Sleeves" feature in this month's Q. So, well done to AS & ESS for getting the number 1 (Blind Faith).

The highest placings in my collection were numbers 5 (Lovedrive) and 9 (Home Invasion). There's several others listed that were posted or linked to here, and a couple of truly revolting ones we didn't mention, including the following charming farmyard scene:

Fuckwittio

Oh fuck, that's wonderful, Duffy! That's gone straight on to my desktop at work. Quite surprised none of those sneery 'Worst LP Covers' lists on the internet (like this smug Charlie Brooker lookalike: http://porktornado.diaryland.com/albumcover.html) have mentioned this one. I reckon we have a winner here.

I'm sad to say I own a vinyl copy of Blind Faith, it probably is in the running for all time worst LP cover, but it's not as bad as this (which, I must stress, I DO NOT own):

Lumiere

Lumiere

Lumiere

Lumiere

BetaKarraTene

I haven't got many really dodgy covers. The sleeve for The Smell Of Our Own is probably the most iffy, although the inside sleeve for their new album has lots of phallic cartoons that aren't particularly pleasing on the eye.

I've been meaning to get this album in the sales

Dirty Boy

Residents-Duck Stab

Very much to the point :roll:

boki

Remember being really chiffed finding this at a car boot sale for 50p and showing it to someone else there that I knew from work who wasn't quite so impressed for some reason.

And Mr Dirty Boy, I do believe you missed this out:

errr, thanks, Dev...

Lumiere

What beck thought he was playing at with the Midnite Vultures sleeve I DO NOT know.

MrManson

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"
I've been meaning to get this album in the sales

*Distillers - Coral Fang*

Do so, it's very good.

Also, I have a signed copy of the Devin Townsend - Infinity record:)