Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:11:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2DS issues - please either help or mock

Started by Cerys, April 11, 2015, 07:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Bethan threw up last night, and her 2DS doesn't seem too happy about being lightly splattered.  This morning its screens decided to start flashing, and now there's no display at all - not least because it only powers up for about four seconds and then gives up with a pop.  She's only had it for five months, so the warranty shouldn't be a problem ... but for the puke.  Is there any chance that this is a coincidence?

Steven

Don't try to turn it on, take out any batteries, put it in bag of rice or cat litter for a couple of days and then try powering on again. Liquid doesn't cause electrical damage unless the power is on, so you need something to extract the moisture.

Cerys

madhair60

It's probably not working because it's got all sick in it. I hope this helps.

Cerys

That's just it - it only got lightly splattered.  Her original DS got dropped in a bucket of the stuff, and that's still going strong.  Cleaning it was delightful.

Mister Six

Quote from: Cerys on April 12, 2015, 01:37:47 PM
That's just it - it only got lightly splattered.  Her original DS got dropped in a bucket of the stuff, and that's still going strong.  Cleaning it was delightful.

Is your house permanently awash with gastrointestinal fluids?

Cerys

madhair60

I mean no offence by this, but it sounds awful at your house. Not only is it awash with vom, but SNG is there.

Haha! Just a playful rib, there. We all have fun here on CaB.

Quote from: madhair60 on April 12, 2015, 07:27:44 PM
I mean no offence by this, but it sounds awful at your house. Not only is it awash with vom, but SNG is there.

Haha! Just a playful rib, there. We all have fun here on CaB.

I don't.

:(

Consignia

I used to think that Nintendo represented indestructible quality, but these days I'm not so sure. My GBA was built like a brick shit house and has survived tons of abuse. But I've lost two DS's to wear and tear and I've got feeling my 3DS is made out of spider webs and magic. My cousin's kid was sick on my PS3 and that still works, but I'm not sure that proves anything.

Cerys

Everything's getting flimsier so more can be sold.  It's the only explanation.

Quote from: madhair60 on April 12, 2015, 07:27:44 PM

That's where you're wrong - he was absent at the time of the chundering and is currently on a train somewhere between here and Cardiff.

Apparently the 3DS is built so you can drop it five feet onto concrete at least three times.

It's like a visit from the Shit Genie.

Consignia

The original 3DS? No way, the hinge is way too flimsy. I've got a 3DS LL as well, it feels more like a toy, but ironicly stronger built.

Cerys

I think it's dead.  Fused motherboard is a likelihood.  Bah.  Cheers for the help anyway.

Steven

Probably from the attempts to turn it on, next time turn off and take out the battery ASAP and use one of the above methods to absorb the moisture. Have dropped smartphones in the bath and rescued them via this method. Resist the urge to stick in an oven or use a hairdryer on them as this just pushes the water further into the circuitry!

Cerys

Yeah, I take the blame for this one.  Although 'next time'?  Hopefully her aim will get a bit better and there won't be a next time.

Consignia

I think that'll teach you to have an ipecac drinking competition with your daughter.

Cerys

Steven

Quote from: Cerys on April 17, 2015, 08:50:08 PM
Although 'next time'?

Aren't you Welsh? There must be saliva constantly going everywhere in your house.

Cerys

Cerys

Update - after contacting Nintendo and forking out seventy-four pounds and fifty shiny pennies, the 2DS is now back with us, with a new motherboard and a renewed warranty.  It was liquid contamination, but I still feel not a little gouged on the repair price.  Bethan has been informed that we're not going to be paying for repairs again, and that she is to look after it better.  And not puke near it.