Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the fall shakespeare-inspired lyrics question

Started by Rumpelwilskin, September 22, 2004, 03:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumpelwilskin

currently reading richard iii in a grad-level shakespeare course, makes me ponder which song by the fall contains the line "this is the summer of our discontent" (obviously a play upon the opening soliloquy in the aforementioned play). was under the impression this utterance by smith was on one of their peel sessions, as i searched the fall lyrics database to no avail. by the way, did anyone ever figure out if the lyrics to mark e. smith's songs have any meaning  they sound ace, but... is it him just doing stream of conscious spoken word? can't sleep unless i know this...
cheers, fall fans.
Rumpelwilskin

From Free Range, from 1992's Code Selfish album:

"This is the spring without end
This is the summer of malcontent
This is the winter of your mind"

elderford

Go and see them live, and you will be able to watch MES shuffling through his plastic carrier bag of lyrics written on various scraps of paper and envelopes.

Although I expect that's more to do with memory loss nowadays.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: "elderford"Go and see them live, and you will be able to watch MES shuffling through his plastic carrier bag of lyrics written on various scraps of paper and envelopes.

At the last Fall gig I went to, an Alsatian dog ran on stage at the end. It didn't seem out of the ordinary, somehow.

Speaking of Fall lyrics, it's well-known that MES has covered R. Dean Taylor's 'There's A Ghost In My House' and 'Gotta See Jane' (maybe he'll get round to doing 'Indiana Wants Me' sometime) - I just purchased a great Taylor compilation and heard the track 'Sunday Morning Coming Down' for the first time, in which R. Dean talks about looking for "my cleanest dirty shirt" - obviously inspiring Smith's "I took my last clean dirty shirt out of the wardrobe/I took my last clean dirty shirt out of the wardrobe" from 'Hip Priest'.