Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars Battlefront (PS4, XBO, PC)

Started by Onken, April 16, 2015, 10:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 26, 2016, 07:14:03 PM

Surprisingly, this one is free too. The question is, will anyone care?

I've got back into playing this again recently. There's definitely been a big drop off in players. I only ever play the Walker Assault mode though and only stick to about 3 of the maps. 

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I haven't played it since before Christmas. I was actually quite enjoying it (after many hours of levelling-up, so that I wasn't just cannon fodder) but just haven't felt compelled to go back to it. I might have a look once the new stuff has downloaded.

mobias

There's nothing in this free DLC that interests me although it'll be interesting to see what balance changes they make. I just had a couple of really good games tonight. Came 2nd in my team in Walker Assault which is my new record. I'm really not the best shot in the world so its a case of find the right balance of weapons. Once you play it long enough you realise certain maps really benefit from the use of certain weapons as do the use of certain unlocks like the personal shield, which is a great thing to have, especially if you upgrade it so it lasts longer. I've unlocked pretty much everything now so you can really play about with whats available to you and set that against what best suits any given map.

I like Battlefront despite its many failings. Its such a shame there's so little of whats genuinely good about it, the large 40 player maps and game modes basically, and it takes too long to unlock stuff that should really be available much earlier on.

Its the sort of game I get bored of very quickly and turn off but after about an hour I'm over come by a huge urge to play it again, until I get quickly bored of it again.

Edit. So it looks like there is some cool stuff coming. Some free and some not.

The next free update, which will hit in February, will add a new survival mission on Hoth, a new Hoth multiplayer map that will support larger game modes including Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point. The game will also expand the Turning Point game mode for play on all maps that currently support Walker Assault and Supremacy.

March adds another multiplayer map on Endor that will support Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point, and an additional Tatooine Survival map.

March is also when the paid content will start hitting as part of the game's Season Pass. Here's the run down of what we now know about paid DLC by month:

Star Wars Battlefront Outer Rim (March 2016) - Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine.
Star Wars Battlefront Bespin (Summer 2016) - It's hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin.
Star Wars Battlefront Death Star (Fall 2016) - That's no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
Star Wars Battlefront Expansion Pack 4 - Title TBA (Early 2017) - We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.

I guess the Death Star map is the one everyone is waiting for. Hope people are still playing by that point.

thraxx

I went round my mates house and his kids were playing this.  I was staggered that the only thing to do was run around shooting other online players.  Everyone was dying every 20 seconds or so. With a bit of solo player content, imagine how good this could have been.  Also it just looked silly with Darth Vader running round getting slotted by some random rebel grunt.  But maybe if you are 10 or something that's cool.

mobias

Quote from: thraxx on January 26, 2016, 10:36:13 PM
I was staggered that the only thing to do was run around shooting other online players.  Everyone was dying every 20 seconds or so.

Putting aside its many flaws for a moment it is a fast paced online shooter. I don't know what else you'd expect to do in it other than shoot people? You can stay alive for longer if you play it well and modes like Walker Assault do require a certain amount of strategy and team playing.

With a bit of solo player content, imagine how good this could have been. 

Apparently there is a single player Star Wars campaign oriented game in development using the same engine as Battlefront. Don't think it'll be out for a while though.

Also it just looked silly with Darth Vader running round getting slotted by some random rebel grunt.  But maybe if you are 10 or something that's cool.

The hero battles can be funny though. Its quite entertaining to see about 10 players gang up and kick fuck out of Darth Vader or the Emperor. Equally there's a real sense of satisfaction from blowing Luke Skywalker to smithereens with a thermal imploder.

colacentral

It's notable that all of the paid DLC maps will be indoors (I'm guessing Bespin will be built up even when it's outdoors, so corridors etc.) Presumably to respond to the criticism about the current maps being big splodges of nothing. With game modes taking place within more tight spaces there may be greater control over the tactical side.

I'm not going to bother touching the game again until those maps are released.