Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars Battlefront (PS4, XBO, PC)

Started by Onken, April 16, 2015, 10:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
My top tip is to pause and restart until it goes faster. Might take half a dozen attempts but it always works for me eventually. I've no idea why it does but it does. I've also noticed it's a lot faster with the recent update. Again, for me, but I have had similar issues to yours in the past. I downloaded it in an hour and the Uncharted trilogy in an afternoon, which surprised me.

mobias

I recommend giving the Hoth 40 player map another go for those that thought it was a bit too randomly chaotic the past few days. The games have become noticeably better recently as people have worked out exactly what you're supposed to do. Now the Rebel team seems to win as often as the Imperials. Basically if you're the Rebel team your objective is to take over 3 uplink sites and keep them up (its basically in essence a zones type game). If you keep them up Y Wing fighters (controlled by AI) can take shots at the AT-AT's taking out their shields and causing damage, on top that the players can also cause damage with rocket launchers and ION gun shots etc. If you're in the Imperial team you obviously have to keep pushing forward and stop the uplink sites from working.

I've had a couple of great games this evening. If its an evenly matched game its really full on. The satisfaction from seeing an AT-AT come crashing down is really immense if you're in the Rebel team.

I had my first shot of being Darth Vader this afternoon which was fun. It was good doing the old Force choke hold on Rebel scum players.

Charles Babbage

Beagle 2

Just an hour-long bash but it seems just the ticket to me.

Onken

The season pass is same cost as the game. For this reason I'm almost certainly not buying it anywhere in the first six months if ever. EA have shown their intensions too early and will have scared a lot of people off.

mobias

Looking at the menus of the beta version, and the way they were laid out with extra room in mind for more content to be flung in there,  its pretty clear they're going to sell half a game at launch and flog you the rest of it later on. Its EA after all. That being said I had way too much fun with the beta for this be anything other than a day one purchase for me. Counting down the days to release now.

mobias

Those long winter nights are just going to fly by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xp-qtUlsQ  I'm so much more looking forward to this than I am the new movie.

Onken

7/10 from VideoGamer. Understandable after the beta.

It already appeared shallow and the other modes aren't much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzs1iddOmM

mobias

Reading round other forums like Neogaf the user reviews seem to say that where its good its totally amazing but where is bad its just a bit dull and shallow. It does sound utterly lacking in content.  Its pretty clear that with this being an EA game and it being Star Wars they can get away with selling people the bare bones of a game with the full knowledge that much more of it will be flogged as DLC incrementally at a later date.

I know people are criticising it because its a very arcady pick up and play casual sort of game but thats why I can see myself liking it. I don't have to feel I have to devote vast chunks of my life to it to enjoy it properly. I  loved Warhawk on the PS3 for the same reason.

Yeah, that commitment issue is what's pretty much killed my enthusiasm for Destiny, which I think has the best feel and mechanics of any FPS I've played. I just don't have the inclination or time to do the endgame stuff which is actually the meat, so I'll be forever stuck with average gear to the point where I just stopped playing. On the other hand, this was just froth, to my tastes. It looks good, sounds great but the gameplay was terribly basic. Someone mentioned that the lack of a double jump - in this day and age - felt like a step into the past, which I hadn't thought about. Maybe.

Onken

The rest of the reviews are starting to trickle in this morning. 6/10 Destructoid, 7/10 Gamespot. Battlefront is basically the multiplayer version of The Order. Over reliance on visual presentation and lacking in gameplay.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mobias on November 13, 2015, 09:16:35 PM
Sure is pretty though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lllhdIO0WI

Aye – FWIW, personally, I liked the demo. Performance was excellent and enjoyed how easy it was to dive in.

I also loved authentic touches like when playing a Stormtrooper and sneaking up on a rebel scum; all my shots missed at point blank range and got killed by return fire.

mobias

Quote from: Onken on November 17, 2015, 07:19:58 AM
Over reliance on visual presentation and lacking in gameplay.

Certainly lacking in maps and a single player campaign mode anyway. Sounds like you've got to buy it at full price in the knowledge that EA will flog you more content, which arguably should have been in the original game, at a later date. Like Ignatius_S I had more than enough fun with the beta to know that i'm going to enjoy this. I'll be getting it on Friday for sure.

Pit-Pat

Called it

Quote from: Pit-Pat on October 09, 2015, 06:35:42 PM
Otherwise, as I say, I found it good if fairly basic and bare-bones. I can't help but feel, on the basis of the beta, that it's a bit of a wasted opportunity to really make a Star Wars Battlefield game, with all of the tactility and scale that implies.

mobias

Looks like this is going to be available from midnight tonight here in the UK on the PS4. Downloading it now.

Been playing it a bit now, when I got a chance.  It isn't bad at all, quite manic and Wtf but am getting into it now and getting perks, weapons etc. much better, for me, with the music turned off.

mobias

Gave it a good go last night and been playing it a bit more today. My main criticism of it so far is that its pretty much the bare bones of a game in terms of content. The single player stuff is really just there so you can practice and fine tune your skills before venturing online. There really isn't much of it. EA really are shitty for doing this. Its difficult to recommend buying it going on the fact that its £55 from PS store. Its a lot of dosh to fork out knowing that quite a lot more game is going to be flogged to you at a later date and you're going to have to buy it because the game as it stands is going to get old fast.

That's set against the fact that what there is is hugely enjoyable to play and absolutely gorgeous to look at. The Endor maps in particular really are stunning environments. The sound design is incredible and its a solid 60fps as far as I can see. Its technically amazing. Walker Assault and fighter squadron are my two favourite modes so far. Some of the reviews have said its all very vacuous and for the casual gamer only but it is what it is - an arcade shooter with a Star Wars skin wrapped over it. I think some people forget Star Wars is basically a kids franchise with cross generational appeal. To that end the game is just really good fun. I was playing it last night with my partner's 11 year old son and we were having shots turn about and both of us were really into it and got good enough at it pretty quickly. I think they've done a good job balancing it in that regard.

I need to play it a bit more and get to know the maps better and unlock a few more bits and pieces before knowing whether I can fully recommend it or not.

Beagle 2

I'm a bit gutted because I expected this to be incredible, but it sounds like I'll be more than happy with what it is because like others I don't have time to invest in games any more, and a pick up and play arcade experience with incredible visuals and atmospherics is very, very appealing. It sounds like the perfect game to wait to open on Christmas Day and have a bash through while high on champagne and selection boxes.

mobias

Waiting until Xmas to get this is probably a good thing to do. There may be a bit more content released between now and then. The more I've played it this evening the more I've realised what a big divide there is in it between what works and what doesn't. It is so short on good multiplayer maps for various modes as well and decent stuff to do offline in single player.

Anyway my cat likes it and is trying her best the fight the evil Empire. Here she is trying to claw an AT-AT to the ground.

Just got this today but haven't played it yet. I'm a mad keen battlefield player with more than 1000 hours on BF4, is it going to flick my switch?

mobias

I've never played a Battlefield game so no idea. Battlefront is good mindless fun but I'm really not sure its worth 55 quid. Fighter Squadron is probably my favourite mode so far. Its just a huge dog fight between rebel and imperial forces but I'm finding it hugely addictive. Walker Assault is the other really good game mode but its slightly dependent on the map. The Endor map looks amazing graphically but I'm finding the gameplay quite frustrating there. Its a bit of a labyrinth of trees and its difficult to get a sense of whats going on. A lot of the rest seems very aimed at kids. There's only so long you can walk around as a badly voiced Darth Vader force choking rebels before it gets boring. The same goes for the other Hero modes.

I read over on Neogaf that the main reason the game seems half complete in terms of content is that they were behind schedule with it but were basically told to get it released at all costs before The Force Awakens hits the cinemas. Hence a lot was put on hold to then flog later as DLC. According to the in game menu it looks like there are four big DLC packs on their way with new maps and game modes etc. All stuff that should have been in the game as it is really.

mobias

The new map and game mode for this is out and pretty good fun. I've ranked up a lot and unlocked some cool stuff, which has added to my enjoyment of it a fair amount. Battlefront is quite annoying because, lack of content aside, its so close to being a great game but part of its problem is that on the one hand its trying to be easy and accessible for kids that are into Star Wars yet on the other it needs to appeal to the more hardcore gamer too. It ends being not one thing or the other. That being said I'm still loosing a lot of time to it and and I keep saying to myself I'll grab quick game of Walker Assault and  I'll end up playing it for about 3 hours. It I can be very good fun when it all comes together.

Played about 12 hours now and have reached the conclusion that it's a load of old bollocks. Shit maps, shit spawns, no squads, no classes etc etc.

Oh well, now to put it on Ebay before the xmas break.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Having finally emerged from the pile of work I've been under these last few weeks, I dipped my toe into the online modes of this, only to find it marred by crappy server connections that left me unable to do anything. It was peak hours I guess, but we've got fibre optic broadband and the game was running smoothly all around me. What's that all about?

mobias

I've got fibre optic broadband from Virgin and have virtually no problems with it. There's the occasional annoying stuttering but most of the time its really stable. The biggest problem now is finding full games. Its clearly got old and boring for people very quickly. Also, because there's no penalty for leaving games early there's a lot of people deserting their teams the moment it starts to look like they're loosing. I'm still having fun with it as an online arcade shooter you just dip in and out of. There's so little to it though and the ranking up and unlocking of stuff actually doesn't give any sense of achievement.

Onken

This has gone from a no thanks maybe in 6-12 months when all the content is available at a lower price to now holding the game in contempt and wanting them to learn a lesson from it all. Such a wasted opportunity it pisses me. Jim Sterling's most recent video addresses this and Rainbow Six cutting out single campaigns and not only failing to replace it with content but holding even more shit back on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuN78zNufSI

colacentral

I feel like a mug for buying this. I've never known there to be such a disparity between how good a game looks and how good (shit) it actually is.

It feels like the time I asked my parents for Banjo-Kazooie for Christmas and they got me Buck Bumble instead because the man in the shop persuaded them it was better (cunt).