Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Batman V Superman

Started by DukeDeMondo, April 18, 2015, 01:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

I hate Zack Snyder but I did love Man Of Steel.

Here's the trailer for the Batman versus the Superman

https://youtu.be/IwfUnkBfdZ4

Artemis

Batman's voice is just silly now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Zack Snyder is the one who should be sorry. Just in general.

DukeDeMondo

Yes he should, but I thought Man of Steel was fuckin excellent. By far his best film.

Replies From View

Capeman 1 V Capeman 2, I call it.

I reckon there should be a scene where a caveman comes out of a cave, all prepared for action, and the two capemen look at him and pause what they are doing, there's one of those "record scratch / music stops" moments and they say, "Not you, can't you hear the difference between a v and a p?" so he goes back into his cave muttering about how it's unfair because the language was a bit different in his day.

SavageHedgehog

There is doom and gloom when things go boom

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on April 18, 2015, 02:11:01 AM
Yes he should, but I thought Man of Steel was fuckin excellent. By far his best film.

I agree.

SavageHedgehog

I hope it's actually Jigsaw saying "do you bleed? You will" and Batman and Superman become allies after he puts them in one of those games he does.

Kelvin

I continue to think that the complaints about the DC films being too serious stems from a kind of snobbery that persuades us that blockbuster films, and more specifically comic book films, ought to be inherently light and fun, and that a film like this, which seems to take itself more seriously, is therefore either pompous or misjudged. If a trailer had just been released for a serious drama and no jokes were apparent in the two minutes shown, no-one would be saying that it was taking itself too seriously or doesn't look "fun". The film would be taken on it's own merits and judged on different criteria. The weird thing is that, even after a  decade of successful Marvel films, a large portion of the audience still doesn't think comic books should be taken seriously - even ones like The Dark Knight Returns, on which this is clearly heavily based.

All that said, this trailer does concern me for entirely different reasons. Firstly, following so soon on the heels of the Star Wars trailer, there is a worrying gap between the quality of their CGI, and once again, we're reminded, especially in that shot of Superman lifting a rocket, that practical effects are always preferable in close up. Secondly, I don't like how heavy handed certain elements seem to be. The shot of adoring people halfheartedly clawing at Superman stands out, as does the ridiculous shot of soldiers kneeling in front of him, which I desperately hope has some explanation in the film itself.

Also, it's just a small thing, but on a purely script writing level, the line "Do you bleed? You will" is totally illogical when you think about it for a second. If he doesn't bleed, Batman, he won't bleed.

Other than that, I like a lot of it; the various themes have potential, Jeremy Irons sounds amazing as Alfred and I really like the distortion on Batman's voice. Although I do wonder if that's just when he's wearing that battle suit to fight Supes.

Its a really dull teaser to be honest. It tells us that they have gone for the Orange and Teal filtering. There using the Inceptions fog horns. Everything's over CGI'd, that's something that ruined Man Of Steel for me. Its like they haven't been able to find there own identity.

As with yer Man Of Steel, I reckon this is a decent trailer that hints at a good film that could have existed but won't.

The shot of Superman sillhouetted against the sun with a man reaching out to him is evocative and beautiful, shades of Kingdom Come. I love the whole idea that Superman's appearance on the planet would lead to the kind of discussions the first half of the trailer implies - that's not been approached before in film or even in comic or TV form as far as I'm aware, everyone's just meant to be in awe and have no opinion about an alien God appearing. Billions would be terrified, and their first desire would just be to kill him before he decides to kill us.

I'm interested to see how they contrive the fight, and how far into the film it comes. I'll also be interested to see if the 3rd or 4th trailers will hint at all to the idea that they do actually team up at the end, which presumably they have to. Of course, that would make the title a bit silly too. How do you shoehorn Aquaman and Wonder Woman into this too?

Nah, it's going to be shit isn't it.

Blumf

Who's the big baddie supposed to be in this one?

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on April 18, 2015, 02:14:42 PM

Ian Gunpowder.

Kelvin

Quote from: Blumf on April 18, 2015, 02:14:42 PM

Lex Luthor is in it, so probably him. He's the guy in the trailer saying "Devils don't come from Hell beneath us. No. They come from the sky."

Tiny Poster

But... devils don't come from the sky. What? Just because you say stuff in a po-faced whysoseeeeeeeeerious manner doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Unless Luthor is meant to be a Bush Administration parody? We're long overdue a critical examination of those lot.

Kelvin

Quote from: Tiny Poster on April 18, 2015, 03:17:59 PM
But... devils don't come from the sky. What? Just because you say stuff in a po-faced whysoseeeeeeeeerious manner doesn't mean it makes any sense.

You're ignoring, or haven't heard, the bit before that, though, where he says something like "We know better now. Devils don't come hell beneath us. They come from the sky", which makes perfect sense in the context.

Tiny Poster

Ah, anti-Kryptonian propaganda! So it is a Bush parody.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on April 18, 2015, 03:24:48 PM
You're ignoring, or haven't heard, the bit before that, though, where he says something like "We know better now. Devils don't come hell beneath us. They come from the sky", which makes perfect sense in the context.

Okay clever clogs what does "Devils don't come hell beneath us" mean?

Kelvin

Quote from: Tiny Poster on April 18, 2015, 03:26:34 PM
Ah, anti-Kryptonian propaganda! So it is a Bush parody.

What? It's clearly based on the Lex Luthor from the last 50 years of comics. It has nothing to do with Bush, nor religion. Luthor hates superman for a variety of fairly interesting reasons, and simple xenophobia is only a small part of that. It's more about feeling like people idealise superman to their own detriment. The line is in keeping with decades of comics, published long before Bush.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on April 18, 2015, 03:29:07 PM
Okay clever clogs what does "Devils don't come hell beneath us" mean?

I don't know if you're joking or not.

Post a clown face if you're joking next time.

Tiny Poster

Come on RFV, take this seeeeeriously!

Pit-Pat

It doesn't really look very good though.

I wholeheartedly agree with the criticisms of Superman as well. He's not just a godlike alien and he's not just a boy scout, but there's supposed to be a dignity, a nobility, a generosity and a compassion to him. The way Captain America's been handled by Marvel recently is much more how he should be.

I guess part of the problem is adapting Miller, who's always been more or less a fascist. I wish they could adapt A Superman for All Seasons. I read it just before I left home for university and it made me a little damp-eyed.[nb]As I imagined all the people I was going to save[/nb]

Replies From View

I genuinely don't know what "come hell" means.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on April 18, 2015, 03:40:25 PM
I genuinely don't know what "come hell" means.

It's a film that got banned when the law changed last year.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Kelvin on April 18, 2015, 03:31:05 PM
What? It's clearly based on the Lex Luthor from the last 50 years of comics. It has nothing to do with Bush, nor religion. Luthor hates superman for a variety of fairly interesting reasons, and simple xenophobia is only a small part of that. It's more about feeling like people idealise superman to their own detriment. The line is in keeping with decades of comics, published long before Bush.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on April 18, 2015, 03:42:13 PM
It's a film that got banned when the law changed last year.

Wasn't that "When hell comers over"?  The story about when hell comes round to do a poo at Paul's house, and ends up breaking loose?

Kelvin

Quote from: Tiny Poster on April 18, 2015, 03:45:25 PM

What's you're point? That older interpretations of the character were different from the modern one? That one isolated comic doesn't match my description of Luthor's motivations, when I could just as easily pick hundreds that do? For several decades Luthor has usually (not always) been portrayed as someone who hates the false hope and stalling influence that Superman offers humanity. The trailer is in keeping with that portrayal, not every portrayal of Luthor that's ever existed. 

Custard

I'm surprised some are saying they loved Man Of Steel. I mean, I thought parts were sort of alright, maybe, sort of. But overall it was quite the disappointment for me. Not a crushing, almost offensive one, like The Matrix Reloaded, or Prometheus, but still.

It just felt so empty. Like they were going through the motions, with no real love for the character or heart behind it.

That said, Cavill makes for a good Supes, and Amy Adams a decent Lois, and Affleck looks like a great Bats, so maybe they will get it right this time. Eh?

The animated films (was split into two parts) of The Dark Knight Returns were pretty great, nearly as good as the comic, so hopefully it'll be in that vein. Deffo worth checking them out