Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham LOLnehan

Started by Hank_Kingsley, April 20, 2015, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Miguel Delaney behaving like a prick. Always amusing to see a spluttering retort from Glinner, but justified on this occasion.

up_the_hampipe

Graham Linehan looks like a mirror image of himself.

Anyway, he's being a baby.

He is an insufferable twat on Twitter. Sets the hounds on anyone he doesn't like all the while decrying "abuse" his mates get.
Never meet follow your heroes.

Thomas

Just had a quick scan through this Delaney fella's Twitter feed. Seems that, as I suspected, somebody else had added Linehan's Twitter 'handle' into the conversation, and Delaney replied without deleting it. Clumsy, but not a deliberately aimed criticism.

Still, Linehan's blocked him now, so needless to say.

NoSleep

He acts like a bad loser when he's lost nothing.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: NoSleep on April 20, 2015, 03:22:26 PM

Except his #dignity

finnquark

Delaney is just awful. Constantly making grandiose statements about x, y and z, and a ludicrous sense of his own importance. Shame to see him come out of this well.

Bhazor

The Duck Man

Quote from: Thomas on April 20, 2015, 03:09:09 PMJust had a quick scan through this Delaney fella's Twitter feed. Seems that, as I suspected, somebody else had added Linehan's Twitter 'handle' into the conversation, and Delaney replied without deleting it. Clumsy, but not a deliberately aimed criticism.
Delaney said because someone had added in Linehan's handle, he left it in his vaguely critical reply to the thread, as removing it would be "cowardice", given that Linehan would see his reply anyway. I don't agree with him, even if Linehan's reading the full text of every discussion of his work (you'd hope not) and happened to come across his reply, he probably wouldn't have replied had he seen it (he may well have blocked, because he's like that). There's a distinction between stumbling across criticism and being sent it directly.

But yes, clumsy, but Linehan's reaction was colossally over the top as it always is. He regularly misconstrues mundane replies to his tweets as outright abuse and goes on the offensive.

Delaney's since sent numerous tweets explaining the whole thing to Linehan collaborator Andrew Ellard. Again, he's not expressed why he did it especially well at times, but Ellard's dickishly dismissed him without giving any sort of leeway. Conversation is sort of here, although it doesn't pick up half of what Delaney's saying as he's not threading properly. Just to go his profile and scroll down if you're especially interested. He replies to Simon Blackwell too.

tomasrojo

Just another day on the beat for PC Glinner.

Caprilusa

I've changed my opinion on Linehan over the years. I remember posting on these threads when I was younger, having just discovered CaB, caught up in the fervour of being surrounded by people that were interested in the same things that I was. He's just a guy on twitter who's done some things, and Delaney was being a shithead.

Thursday

They were both being shitheads. Spread the hate around!

Dont rate Linehan. Never have, never will.

The only interesting thing about the disagreement was the Spaniard talking about how Glinner skewered targets or something.

Crock of shit, he's useless.

Rev

Unless there's a hidden part of this story, they weren't both being shitheads.  I don't know who this Delaney guy is, but on this evidence the harshest thing that can be said is that he copied Linehan in on a bit of very mild criticism.  First two series of Father Ted are gold, the third is generally quite good but shows clear signs of writing to a formula and grinding it out a bit.  That could be proven in a laboratory.

I don't think anyone in the entertainment business has ever disappointed me as much as Linehan.  It seemed at one point that he was just a bit thin-skinned about criticism, but it's not even that.  He seems to genuinely rely on a band of enablers who applaud his every move and assure him that nothing he does could ever be in any way sub-par, and now he's comfy with that, he's vicious when the rest of the world doesn't treat him in the same way.  It's the kind of entitled fuckwittery you expect from someone in a boy band.

dr beat

I think Series 2 is where Father Ted really hits the sweet spot but I certainly couldn't regard S3 as 'dreadful'.  Plenty to enjoy there, including 'The Mainland' which is one of my favourites.  And Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Arse.

Spiral King

This is a million miles away from the Linehan who did incredibly critical commentaries of his work on the Father Ted DVDs. What on earth happened to the poor fellow?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Rev on April 21, 2015, 06:13:43 AM
Unless there's a hidden part of this story, they weren't both being shitheads.  I don't know who this Delaney guy is, but on this evidence the harshest thing that can be said is that he copied Linehan in on a bit of very mild criticism.  First two series of Father Ted are gold, the third is generally quite good but shows clear signs of writing to a formula and grinding it out a bit.  That could be proven in a laboratory.

I do think Linehan is a prickly arsehole, but in this case he deserves the benefit of the doubt. That bloke doesn't just say that the third series isn't as good as the first two, he says they were only in it for the money. That's almost certainly an unfair criticism, and a very cunty thing to say to the creator himself.

Ray Travez

Quote from: dr beat on April 21, 2015, 08:06:16 AM
I think Series 2 is where Father Ted really hits the sweet spot but I certainly couldn't regard S3 as 'dreadful'.  Plenty to enjoy there, including 'The Mainland' which is one of my favourites.  And Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Arse.

I've always liked series three best- Chirpy Burpy Cheap Sheep is my favourite episode, also Are You Right There Father Ted? and Speed 3 are well up there. I don't know how anyone can say it's sub-par as a series, though it does have a slightly different feel to the other two.

The football guy gives his opinion here like it's a really important judgement that carries some weight, rather than the musings of a sports pundit. He appears to think he's being magnanimous by admitting he likes series 1 and 2. "well done glinner for those two, pat on the old head for you!"

Noodle Lizard

Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse.  I love Night Of The Nearly Dead as well.  It's a solid series.

amnesiac

Quote from: The Duck Man on April 20, 2015, 06:59:49 PM

He replies to Simon Blackwell too.

can you tell me what Simon Blackwell said, he always gets involved in these things, just sitting prone at his desk waiting for comedy-related controversy before he's parachuted in.

tomasrojo

The increased reliance on TV/movie parodies in S3 isn't any more flagrant than what Galton and Simpson did with Hancock all the time.  Nothing wrong with that.  The quirky (and sometimes piercingly accurate) observations of Irish culture diminished as well, as I recall it, with more mainstream British references, such as in "Escape from Victory".  Nothing wrong with that either though.

Puce Moment

His opinion is incorrect as far as I am concerned, and his accusation is stupid and unfounded. I really love the direction the show took in the third series, in many ways you could argue it was less whimsical and more inaccessible, certainly it's use of surrealist elements were ramped up.

paolozzi

I can't work out what part of this is meant to be interesting.

Utter Shit

Difficult one.

Miguel Delaney (great name, one Linehan might have come up with himself) is entitled to his opinions about the quality of the show - personally I don't notice a big difference in quality between 2 and 3, although 3 is obviously broader in scope - but the money-grabbing bit was unfounded and unnecessary.

At the same time though...the strange tale of Graham Linehan. How on earth can someone remain SO thin-skinned for SO long? And even if Delaney was being deliberately nasty and aiming it directly at Linehan - which he wasn't, on either count - did it really deserve that level of vitriol? Fucking cunt...shithead...fuck off out of my replies. Just barmy.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: NoSleep on April 20, 2015, 03:22:26 PM

It's curious how he seems to rise to these things. Why he doesn't just ignore it is baffling. He could just ignore it but he loses it and thinks "No, fuck him, I'm not letting him away with that, how many award winning comedies has this prick written? I'm giving him a piece of my mind".

He seems very angry. I understand anger, I have deep reserves of it. I just think Twitter is one of the worst places to express it. He could just go to his bedroom and scream into a pillow but prefers to bash away at his keyboard to loads of strangers.

The guy criticising him was saying nice things as well but I can't see what we can learn from this.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: tomasrojo on April 21, 2015, 09:53:39 AM
The increased reliance on TV/movie parodies in S3 isn't any more flagrant than what Galton and Simpson did with Hancock all the time.  Nothing wrong with that...

Personally, I don't think there was anything 'wrong' about such parodies in Father Ted. However, I'm not sure that the comparison works that well – and 'all the time' is stretching it a bit. With the radio show of Hancock's Half-Hour, the following were parodies:

The Diary
The Hancock Festival
Anna and the King of Siam
The Blackboard Jungle

Pretty sure that there was another film parody (or the idea was lifted). There was also The Chef That Died of Shame, which diverted from the usual format (with Hancock playing Higgins, the titular chef) and could be considered a parody but I don't think it was sending up anything specific.

Although there's a direct reference to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty mentioned at the end (about being sued), it's one that is not defined by the inspiration. Personally, I see it as rather separate to the others.

There were a couple of pantomime episodes, again not conforming to the format of the show, but those would be in line of doing a special show at Christmas. It's not markedly different to The Clitheroe Kid having an episode where he dreams he and the usual cast were Aladdin characters.

Galton and Simpson freely say that when they did these parodies, it was because inspiration wasn't flowing – something forgivable considering how many episodes they were writing to tight deadlines. However, it was considered rather novel for the time and Anna and the King of Siam was regarded as being fresh and of a high standard by listeners.

With the TV show, I can only think of 12 Angry Men off the top of my head that was clearly influenced by film. G&S had a keen eye on popular culture and what was happening in society, which permeated their work but that rather separate to parodying movies.

There were over 100 episodes of the radio series, the above episodes were interspersed over the run of a show. A show, which it's important to remember that evolved and the writers were experimenting. British sitcoms were still in their infancy, after all.

If the parody element was something that Galton and Simpson only employed towards the end of both versions of the sitcom, then the comparison – for me, at any rate – would be more appropriate. However, the reverse happened - I'm pretty sure there was no parody episode in the final radio series and the closest with the television one was The Bowmans/Archer send-up and the swipe at adverts; the former enhances the episode but doesn't rely on the parody, whilst the second was a recurring motif. More importantly, the final series when it became Hancock, meant a radical reworking for the show that was not only ambitious (e.g. two episodes where Hancock was the only person on screen for the entire time) but executed brilliantly.

DrGreggles

I've met Linehan and he was a lovely, funny, self-depreciating man.
Maybe Twitter brings out the cunt in everyone, and that's why it shouldn't exist.

NoSleep

Maybe it should exist but people should learn how to use it effectively.

Thursday

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 21, 2015, 02:01:13 PM
Maybe Twitter brings out the cunt in everyone,

No, mainly just Graham Linehan.