Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Suicide Squad

Started by Ja'moke, April 25, 2015, 10:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

The two on the far right are Killer Croc and El Diablo, I'm told. No idea who the one on the far left is, except he is played by Adam Beach, apparently.

Kelvin

Quote from: Spiteface on May 04, 2015, 12:24:11 AM

Okay, so it's unknown soldier goon, Captain Boomerang, Enchantress, Katana, Rick Flagg or Deathstroke, Harley, Deadshot, Killer Croc and El Diablo.

They all look fine, except El Diablo, who looks utterly ridiculous.

EDIT: The guy on the left is apparently some guy called Slipknot. My money's on him not making it past 30 minutes.

SteveDave

Is the Joker taking the photo?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Has Will Smith's box office appeal taken a real nosedive recently? This seems like a fairly obscure looking picture for him to be playing this fiddle in.

SteveDave

I've just learnt not to attempt any humour on a post about this photo on Facebook. Sweet Jesus.

The Joker isn't actually in the Suicide Squad although he is in the movie.

OK guys?

Custard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 04, 2015, 01:36:30 AM
Has Will Smith's box office appeal taken a real nosedive recently? This seems like a fairly obscure looking picture for him to be playing this fiddle in.
I thought much the same thing. Though there's been rumours that he's banging Margot Robbie/Harley on the quiet, so I guess the chance to spend six months with his bit on the side might sweeten the deal

Yeah, in the Assault On Arkham animated film, Joker isn't part of The Suicide Squad,
Spoiler alert
but turns up about halfway through, so I guess they might be going that route
[close]

Kelvin

newbridge

So glad to see Sugar Slam getting some mainstream work.

Mister Six

Looks like we have a first look at the Suicide Squad:

That's what GAP looks like in Chechnya.

I think it's fucking awful, myself. Three generic soldier-carrying gun men, two burly blokes with big heads and coats[nb]One of them apparently having mugged Bane on his way to the photo shoot.[/nb] and a Juggalo jock - not a huge variety in silhouettes or designs (especially once you factor in The Joker, who's another pale guy with tats). The women acquit themselves better, but the shit-brown palette and lack of colouration on the clothes (little bits of red on Deadshot, Harley and Katana woman, but that's it) make everything look muddy and samey.

Jesus, what a wash.

Mango Chimes

GUN MAN
COCKNEY
SADAKO MERMAID
GUN MAN
PROSTITUTE
GUN MAN
BIG ZOMBIE
LITTLE ZOMBIE
JAPANESE JAPAN LADY FROM JAPAN

I guess it was inevitable they'd go 'distressing prostitute' for Harley Quinn.  At least she's smiling.  I don't know much about the others – what's Katana's ethnicity?

brat-sampson

I think I just realised Death Stroke and Dead Shot aren't the same thing. I've watched all of Arrow. If you remove the girls and the unfortunate case of greyscale it looks like the Expendables if they weren't so old and famous.

Ian Benson

Here's a good recent article about how Warner Bros. doesn't really know what it's doing and has no clue as to where this shared universe stuff is going and really just wants lots and lots of money now now now: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superman-batman-dcs-real-battle-792190.

In that photo the only person I vaguely trust when it comes to making good choices for their career - and actually having something at stake in this regard - is Robbie. Smith's utterly lost the plot, Hardy dropped out early on citing scheduling probs, but then we hear rumours that he was dissatisfied with the script (perhaps because he wasn't going to be getting as much screen time as he thought he was, or perhaps because the script is shit), and everyone else save for Leto is lucky to be there so who cares what they think? It's not inconceivable that Warner Bros. could have turned things around after Man Of Steel, but now it seems like they're just doubling down on the tacky, misguided awfulness. Everything they're doing is sort of fascinatingly incomprehensible and mad. For example, I would genuinely love to watch a documentary that details all the things that had to happen for us to see that fucking photograph of Leto as the Joker. This photo is similarly ridiculous, albeit in a different way. I suppose casual moviegoers might think "oh, it's Will Smith, comic book stuff, yeah I might check this out, whatever" but I do feel bad for proper the DC comics fans who might feel obligated to put a brave face on it out of loyalty, all the while knowing deep down that all of this looks like complete and utter shit.

What amuses/confuses me most about all of this is that nobody is looking at what Warner Bros. is attempting and not thinking that it's an attempt to do what Marvel is doing. This being the case why not also blatantly rip-off how Marvel actually did it? If the results were good who'd care? When Marvel made Ironman they had people who'd worked on the comics, knew the character, etc. in a bunch of the meetings. I'd be fucking amazed if something similar happened with Man Of Steel. Maybe it did, but if so, and given the utterly shit final product, the people who actually knew the character certainly weren't listened to. I seem to recall that Geoff Johns was involved on a creative level with 2011's Green Lantern, which was Warner Bros.' first attempt at kicking off a shared universe, so maybe, as a reaction to that film not being very good, or, more importantly, not making a lot of money, they decided to hand absolutely everything over to Zak fucking Snyder on the second go-round. But then they still could've started smaller, or at least held off a bit before doing their Avengers. By the first Avengers movie you had casual movie goers/non-comic book fans giving a shit about Thor. Who's going to give to a shit about Wonder Woman in BvS? The thought process seems to have been "we want money" then "we want Marvel-level money" then "we want Avengers-level money" and then "let's just do our Avengers pretty much straight away actually."

Warner Bros. haven't made a single creative decision, from hiring Zak Snyder and going with his utterly fucked-up vision for Superman to these latest promo images, that inspires any confidence in the fact that they know what they're doing. They just want money, and don't give two shits if amazing characters get the shaft in the process. I'd love all of this to fail, so they could start over, do it properly right from the fucking start, but unfortunately there are enough dickheads, clueless to the fact that they deserve much better, who'll turn up for all of this shit that it'll likely go on for at least a decade.

In case you missed it this post by Mister Six in the BvS thread is very good:  http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,47487.msg2520311.html#msg2520311

Thursday

Looks like we have a first look at the Suicide Squad:

Could have been worse, could have been much better. Y'know, Harley's look in Arkham City would have worked just fine as a movie outfit for Harley, if they didn't want to go for the classic Bruce Timm design.

P.S. - whoever tagged this thread "Cyclone! Joker!" gets a big hug from me. I'm just coming to the end of Kamen Rider W now, 5 episodes left...

Another picture here

Thursday

Thursday

Oh and one more

(I could do this all day)

Mister Six

Quote from: Ian Benson on May 04, 2015, 02:18:14 PM\I do feel bad for proper the DC comics fans who might feel obligated to put a brave face on it out of loyalty, all the while knowing deep down that all of this looks like complete and utter shit.

Christ, tell me about it. I genuinely love the DCU and have no attachment to the Marvel comics universe beyond the bits of She-Hulk and Punisher that I've read,[nb]Oh! And Nextwave! Nextwave was great.[/nb] but feel the exact opposite about the movie franchises at the moment. Gutted. Because there's so much great material to work with!

QuoteI'd love all of this to fail, so they could start over, do it properly right from the fucking start, but unfortunately there are enough dickheads, clueless to the fact that they deserve much better, who'll turn up for all of this shit that it'll likely go on for at least a decade.

It's crazy how representative of DC's comic management the film side of things is - ploughing the 90s comic market even though that's now basically just a bunch of 30-something nerds and there are so many other people from other demographics who would happily engage with these films; handing creative direction of entire franchises over to tired old hacks; endlessly chasing their own narrative tales... having to do a new reboot every couple of years[nb]New 52! Newer 52! Crisis of Infinite Crises![/nb] because they keep fucking it all up would be the perfect horse-cum icing on the two-ton turd cake they're making.

Blumf

Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it

(I'm not sure who comes off worse in this comparison)

Dr Rock

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 04, 2015, 01:36:30 AM
Has Will Smith's box office appeal taken a real nosedive recently?

Oh very much so.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/10/will-smith-broken-after-earth_n_6652194.html

QuoteWill Smith's films have grossed more than $6.6 billion at the box office and he was once named by Forbes' as the most bankable star. But there was one major flop that almost ruined him: "After Earth."

The M. Night Shyamalan sci-fi film was reportedly made for $130 million and co-starred his son, Jaden. Though it did well overseas, it was a complete disaster in North America, earning only $60 million. (It also garnered three Razzies, including worst actor and supporting actor for the Smiths.) In a new interview with People, Smith says the movie left him a mess. "After the failure of 'After Earth,' a thing got broken in my mind," he told the magazine. "[Afterward] I was like, 'Oh, wow. I'm still alive. Oh, wow. Actually, I still am me, even though the movie didn't open number one. Wait. I can still get hired on another movie.'"

He spoke to reporters during a press run for his new film, "Focus," in which he plays a con man opposite Margot Robbie. "I realized that I still was a good person," he said. "So when I went into 'Focus,' I completely released the concept of goal orientation and got into path orientation. This moment, this second, these people, this interaction ... It is a huge relief for me to not care whether or not Focus is number one or number 10 at the box office."

Lucky.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2015/03/02/41782/focus-continues-will-smith-s-trend-of-box-office-d/

QuoteWill Smith's latest film, "Focus," debuted at number one at the box office this weekend, yet it only grossed $18.7 million. That's significantly less than Smith's expensive 2013 flop,  "After Earth," which opened to $27.5 million and grossed just over $60 million domestically.

...the poor debut of "Focus" — which some experts predicted would debut to as much as $22 million — might mark the continuing box office decline for the actor, who previously was one of Hollywood's most bankable names.

kitsofan34

Will Smith looks depressed.

DrunkCountry

Custard

Bloody ell, Killer Croc looks terrible

checkoutgirl

Killer Croc looks like Pinhead. Who the fuck is Deadshot? I've never heard of any of these characters. Or the Suicide Squad. Nothing can kill Will Smith's career. Not even this.

The Roofdog

So we've had a Batman origin series without Batman and now we're getting Arkham Asylum/Arkham City without Batman. OK then.

MuteBanana

So with no build up to the 'squad' this reminds me of those GI Joe films. Just a bunch of characters thrown together.

Are any of them getting films of their own after this? I imagine Leto will regardless of how well this film does.

Spiteface

Although it hasn't been announced, a Batfleck solo movie is surely inevitable. My guess is we will see Leto's Joker there, maybe Harley Quinn pops up as well.

Consignia

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 05, 2015, 10:36:29 AM
Are any of them getting films of their own after this? I imagine Leto will regardless of how well this film does.

The only thing Leto's Joker is getting after this is a job in Gamestation or Cex.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Spiteface on May 05, 2015, 10:45:50 AM
Batfleck solo movie is surely inevitable

Unless Superman kills him. He's fighting Superman so the chance of being killed has to be a possibility at least.

It's a bit weird because they are pitching the two biggest characters against each other at the start. But at the same time they will be doing a load of films based on them. So the chances of either one dying in Bat Vs Supe is practically nil. So why the fuck will I go and see it then? DC are doing this arse ways with team assemble type films at the start.

checkoutgirl

And bloody Wonder Woman. Who's going to bother going to see Wonder Woman?

Harley Quinn is just a dumb character altogether. She works in cartoon form only, but how is anyone meant to take her serious in a grimdark Batfleck "do you bleed? you will." universe? Hi, my name is HARLEEN QUINZEL because I was named specifically to be the perfect female companion to the madman Joker that I arbitrarily fall in love with even though he's literally clownshoes and in Arkham Asylum where I am a doctor despite clearly being insane myself, good thing there wasn't any kind of psych evaluation for the staff.

So now I'm called Harley Quinn, get it like Harlequin?

Also, those set pictures reveal yet more bizarre Joker branding - "Property of Joker" on the back of her jacket, all perfectly embroidered. Starting to think those tattoos aren't just for the photoshoot...