Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wild Tales

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 04, 2015, 05:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Saw this a few weeks back, I had seen in the papers some controversy about the similarity of the first scene to recent real life events, but until the film started I hadn't realised this was the film they were talking about!

Really liked the film, my favourites were the car parking guy but most of all the wedding scene. I guess these ones started off most like 'real life' so the twists and shocks were more effective.

Didn't really like the 'road rage' piece. Too much of the shock effect was from close ups of all too realistic violence. I guess this is partly because I was with my wife and she doesn't like that kind of thing.

I'd recommend seeing it.

brat-sampson

Really liked this one, a couple of entries are longer than they need to be but the first and last at least are complete blinders. I got the twist on the 'Getting away with murder' piece a bit early, but it still had some good gags in it. Roadside diner was the weakest for me as it managed to feel long while being short.

Very worth watching.

Noodle Lizard

I liked it too.  Not much more to say than that, really.  The Bombita one especially felt like a perfect example of how something can feel just as satisfying and fully-formed as a feature whilst being significantly less than half the length.  I hope things like this will make studios take note of that.

Reports are that the budget was only around $3 million.

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, I've got mixed feelings. I liked the first one, though that could be partially due to the shock value considering recent events, and the wedding one at the end was fun once she
Spoiler alert
reached the rooftop and went mental
[close]
, but the others were dull in places. The parking lot one was predictable from the get go,
Spoiler alert
bar the final birthday surprise bit
[close]
, and the getting away with murder one was too heavily sign posted, especially when it zoomed in
Spoiler alert
on the husband saying "I'm going to fucking get you fucking right now you fucking cunt"
[close]
, or words to that effect. And the diner segment was just all a bit rubbish in general.

Still, not a terrible film by any means, and it's nicely shot and all that, I just wish it had been a bit more inventive.

popcorn

I liked the road rage one the best because the violence was fucking hilarious. I love a good shit punch-up.

Serge

Finally got around to checking this out. My least two favourites were the diner scene (didn't really seem to go anywhere) and the wedding, which had some funny moments but seemed to go on forever. Although both the parking and getting away with murder ones had endings that you could see a mile off, I still enjoyed them, especially the escalating run of bad things happening to the guy in the parking one (although the ending in the prison was a bit daft - even if he was a folk hero, they wouldn't really let his wife and daughter into a room with a horde of wild cons, would they?) The opening scene was fucking blinding, worth seeing the film for on its own. And I liked the craziness of the road rage section, again, the wild escalation of events to lead to the inevitable deadly ending. Overall, pretty good and, Wes Anderson films aside, the best new movie I've seen in years.

zomgmouse

I thought this was really fun overall. My favourites were the aeroplane and the wedding, and I can kind of see that they would choose the two strongest to bookend the film so you get a skewed impression of how much you enjoyed it, but I was conscious of feeling a bit bored during the negotiation and a bit during the car fight. The diner was okay and the car fines one was quite good. I think I might have enjoyed those four more had they been on their own, but if you bunch them up with the two belters that opened and closed the piece then you're in trouble.

Someone pointed out to me that you aren't expected to like everything in an anthology film, but I think that's more what happens if you have multiple directors stitching together short films; if it's just one person in charge of the entire film then I think it's their duty to make sure every single short segment delivers. But I appreciated the common thread between the films of a tiny thing that escalates into something otherwise incomprehensible and absurd.