Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hatefull Eight

Started by VegaLA, May 07, 2015, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

But Fassbender plays an English character doesn't he?

Dr Rock

I rewatched it again the other night, and unlike some other QT movies, liked it less the second time. The whodunnit angle is more whocareswhodunnit. Shouldn't there be some kind of interesting reveal rather than 'oh it's these guys and this is what they did.' Did not care by that point, as I didn't care about any of the characters (if you had made Russell or Jackson's character do a 360, maybe).

He wastes so many great actors on nothingy roles. It features some of his least memorable dialogue. And as it's his second attempt at a western, it's just not his genre. The story could've taken place anywhere really, it could've been a gangster movie or something. A western where 90% of it is set in a bar? Jennifer Jason Leigh, as most people agree, is the best thing in it, but she never really gets a moment to shine. She's just the best because people like Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern and Michael Madsen make so little impact, and all are capable of amazing stuff. Maybe he should have given the script a few more rewrites, or worked with that fella he did Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs with again.

NoSleep

Have you watched John Carpenter's The Thing? The whole thing seemed like an homage to that film, and more than snippets of music (as mentioned upthread) from that film used - including sections that Morricone wrote that never made the original film (on the OST, however). Your criticisms are largely a result of that homage.

Dr Rock

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2016, 12:36:59 PM
Have you watched John Carpenter's The Thing? The whole thing seemed like an homage to that film, and more than snippets of music (as mentioned upthread) from that film used - including sections that Morricone wrote that never made the original film (on the OST, however). Your criticisms are largely a result of that homage.

Yeah of course, love it. I see your point, food for thought.

Puce Moment

It is amazing that the man who made a film as exhilarating, tense and lovingly written as Reservoir Dogs, also churned out The Hatefull Eight, but then I also think it is amazing that the man who made a film as exhilarating, tense and lovingly written as Inglorious Basterds, also churned out The Hatefull Eight.

Wet Blanket

I thought it was really bad writing that after 90 minutes of exposition and riffing, he couldn't find a way to dramatically introduce the poisoned coffee scenario, he just threw in an arbitrary voice over "oh aye, and the coffee's been poisoned, waahey!"

He did the same thing in IB with the Samuel L Jackson v/o glossing over any troublesome plot points. This from the man who linked the various disparate threads of Pulp Fiction together so elegantly

Twed

I hated "oh and by the way all of these characters aren't really themselves, so you're watching actors playing actors. Now here's some innocent women being slaughtered and a lot of bollocks action to tie everything up in the only way I know how".

I'm probably the only person who wants Tarantino to make a movie that's just talking, so maybe I'm not the best critic here.

greenman

It did definitely play against expectations in having such a big name cast but really the focus was almost entirely on Jackson, Goggings and Jason Leigh with the other characters being pretty perfunctory with more of a focus on building atmosphere.

Blinder Data

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2016, 09:44:54 AM
But Fassbender plays an English character doesn't he?

That speaks fluent German, and it just so happens Fassbender does so too.

Maybe QT wasn't including Fassbender as an example of really trying to be accurate with nationalities and languages. But he wanted Simon Pegg at first, who doesn't speak fluent German. His claims that he wanted it be 100% accurate don't hold water if Fassbender only got the gig after Pegg turned it down.

Dr Rock

He didn't seem to care that Uma Thurman's Japanese in Kill Bill was largely gibberish.

NoSleep

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 12, 2016, 01:58:55 PM
His claims that he wanted it be 100% accurate don't hold water if Fassbender only got the gig after Pegg turned it down.

It was a fiction. Written by QT. I guess he could change a character to fit the actor if required (it would make a lot of sense).

Blinder Data

Perhaps accurate was the wrong word to use. I was referring to this quote from QT, which I think goes against the idea of trying to get a guy like Pegg, who doesn't speak German, to play someone who speaks German like a native speaker.

QuoteFor this film, "I didn't want a Dutch guy playing the German Nazis. I didn't want the Swedish guy playing the German Nazis. So bye bye Max von Sydow. No thank you, Rutger Hauer. I wanted Germans, playing Germans, speaking German... I wanted every country to represent their own team, more or less."

Thank fuck Pegg was unavailable so Fassbender could fill in. That scene between Myers and his character could have been unbearably hammy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can not for the life of me imagine Pegg in a Fassbender role.

Glebe

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2016, 09:44:54 AMBut Fassbender plays an English character doesn't he?

And another!

Glebe