Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hatefull Eight

Started by VegaLA, May 07, 2015, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbridge

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 12, 2015, 05:47:47 PM
Trailer!

https://youtu.be/gnRbXn4-Yis

It looks awfa purdy.

Also, didn't teaser trailer used to mean "bit of a flash of someone's arm, a glimpse of a logo, maybe, if you're lucky, some gruff voice or other saying something about this is coming or that's coming"?

That there's a trailer, and that's all there is to it.

Looks purdy awfa to me.

DukeDeMondo

Hollow

I wonder who's idea it was to tell us exactly what number film this is by Quentin Tarantino? And why?

Cause anyone that cares about that already knows and people that don't wont remember it.

It couldn't be just simple self-aggrandising could it?

non capisco

He's been doing that from at least Jackie Brown.

DukeDeMondo

What's wrong with self aggrandizing? I'm all for it.

In any case, I much prefer "the Nth film from so and so" to "from the guys that brought you such and such."

That makes me shit in my piss a bit every time.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Glebe on August 12, 2015, 09:04:30 PMBut yeah, it certainly looks gorgeous (as does that snowy cabin poster above)... nice to see Tarantino championing 70mm - along with Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson and Christopher Nolan, he's part of a sadly dying breed of film-over-digital champions.

Like cunt it does.  You're not championing good ol' analogue filmy film if you then digitally colour grade it to fuck, and that trailer looks ruddy awful in its blue/brown binary palette.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Is the "8th film" thing not just cos of the eponymous eight, or has he really been doing it all this time?

DukeDeMondo

Not sure when he started doin it, but he's been doin it for a while.

Like here, for example:

greenman

Looking back the posters it seems like they were only numbering his films for both Kill Bill parts and they did actually have that as his 4th and 5th films so a bit of a shift there in retrospect to have this as his 8th film to match in with the title.

Depends if you count Deathproof as a stand alone film or as its collaborative form of Grindhouse.

QDRPHNC

At first I thought the performances seemed a bit subdued and half-hearted, but it could also be the fault of the trailer, trying to puff it up into something it's not.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Hollow on August 13, 2015, 01:30:15 AM
I wonder who's idea it was to tell us exactly what number film this is by Quentin Tarantino? And why?

Cause anyone that cares about that already knows and people that don't wont remember it.

It couldn't be just simple self-aggrandising could it?

Hasn't he declared in the past that he is only going to make 10 films? I think this numbering of the films has something to do with that.

I've always wondered if the 10 films stuff was bollocks though. He could possibly make 9 and 10 in the next 5 or 6 years. So that would mean he would retire from film-making at the age of 57-58. I just can't see that somehow.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 13, 2015, 02:17:03 AM
Like cunt it does.  You're not championing good ol' analogue filmy film if you then digitally colour grade it to fuck, and that trailer looks ruddy awful in its blue/brown binary palette.

Gosh it is very blue and brown isn't it? That's going to bother me now. I think Kill Bill was the first film where he buggered about with the colours, not just the black and white bits, there's something fishy about a lot of the shots. The one before being Jackie Brown when I don't think it was an option.

Custard

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on August 14, 2015, 07:31:44 PM
Hasn't he declared in the past that he is only going to make 10 films? I think this numbering of the films has something to do with that.

I've always wondered if the 10 films stuff was bollocks though. He could possibly make 9 and 10 in the next 5 or 6 years. So that would mean he would retire from film-making at the age of 57-58. I just can't see that somehow.
He was saying last year that this is very much still the plan. Wants to go out while he's still good, etc

But yeah, won't happen will it

Blinder Data

That trailer is fucking awful. I assume it misrepresents the film, because on the basis of that my expectations have been revised considerably.

Is Tim Roth really going to play a posh English man? Can Michael Madsen even act anymore?

It looks like a parody of a Tarantino film[nb]I know you could say that about most of his recent output, but it's especially so in this case[/nb].

Sam

Trailer makes it look like floor-scrapings fallen out of the barrel of bits too shit to be deleted scenes in Django.

Dr Rock

It looks like a hastily thrown together sketch from the first series of 3-2-1.

Puce Moment

It looks like Helen Keller edited together a trailer for a Tommy Wiseau movie.

Not really, it looks fine. I'm delighted he has shrunk down his narrative - finally.

I bet Tarantino turns up in the final act doing a terrible cockney accent[nb]Even worse than his South African[/nb] calling them the 'ateful eight.

Mango Chimes

The Q&A podcast has the SDCC panel on this.  Of note:

• Tarantino is asked about if he really meant the 10 films thing. He didn't. So that's that.
  • Tim Roth said he kept asking Quentin if he was going to far. He was told, no: go further. What-what, pip-pip, tally-ho, cup of tea.

Pit-Pat

I thought the trailer looked pretty alright.

There, I said it.

And I don't really like any of his films after Jackie Brown very much.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 19, 2015, 01:16:27 PM
The Q&A podcast has the SDCC panel on this.  Of note:

• Tarantino is asked about if he really meant the 10 films thing. He didn't. So that's that.
  • Tim Roth said he kept asking Quentin if he was going to far. He was told, no: go further. What-what, pip-pip, tally-ho, cup of tea.

oh god

Sgt. Duckie

Mango Chimes

Oh, the last bit is just my guess of what that direction will mean, based on the sliver of him in the trailer (and Mike Bloody Myers' hilarious[nb]shit[/nb] turn in IB.)

Glebe

http://www.afp.com/en/news/new-york-police-union-calls-boycott-tarantino-films

It's weird to see Tarantino joining in a bit of socio-political campaigning like this. Anyhoo:

Quote..."It's no surprise that someone who makes a living glorifying crime and violence is a cop-hater, too," said Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association. "It's time for a boycott of Quentin Tarantino's films," he said....

..."The police officers that Quentin Tarantino calls 'murderers' aren't living in one of his depraved big screen fantasies -- they're risking and sometimes sacrificing their lives to protect communities from real crime and mayhem," said Lynch. "New Yorkers need to send a message to this purveyor of degeneracy that he has no business coming to our city to peddle his slanderous 'Cop Fiction.'"

Well, on-screen violence is slightly different than real-life violence.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on June 07, 2015, 06:58:24 PM
I stumbled across this interview with Tarantino circa 2007/8. In it he discusses why he never uses composers or original music in his films, and comes across as a complete prick in the process.

https://youtu.be/qtR5Cxscnu4?t=2m

This perfectly encapsulates why he's produced a load of childish horse shit since Jackie Brown. Tarantino's films are completely unable to transcend his innate limitations. What a terrible blind spot for a director to have, to dismiss the notion of collaboration as an intrinsically undesirable series of compromises.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 27, 2015, 10:33:12 AM
This perfectly encapsulates why he's produced a load of childish horse shit since Jackie Brown. Tarantino's films are completely unable to transcend his innate limitations. What a terrible blind spot for a director to have, to dismiss the notion of collaboration as an intrinsically undesirable series of compromises.

Django Unchained featured five original songs and Ennio Morriconne is composing a full score for The Hateful Eight, so I guess Quentin has grown at least a little in that regard over the last few years.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 27, 2015, 12:12:09 PM
Django Unchained featured five original songs and Ennio Morriconne is composing a full score for The Hateful Eight, so I guess Quentin has grown at least a little in that regard over the last few years.

Wow, I didn't know that Morriccone was on board for this. Don't I feel the dunce.

surreal

New trailer looking very nice in 70mm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_UI1GzaWv0

I still reckon this will be a Tarantino rug-pull and he's actually
Spoiler alert
remaking The Thing
[close]