Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Class Enemy (Razredni sovražnik)

Started by Buttress, May 12, 2015, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttress

Class Enemy (in Slovenian, Razredni sovražnik), 2013.

Anyone else seen this? I thought of putting it in 'recently watched' but I figure that interesting discussion could be had relating to it (and I have not spotted a topic for it here).

Basically plot is that a new German teacher arrives at a Slovenian high school to replace the (quite popular with the students) previous teacher and something of a conflict brews between the students and their new tutor. A classmate's suicide spurs the class into a pseudo-political row against the new teacher who they say has effectively caused the death of their classmate. Fun ensues.

Interesting questions relating to the necessity of authority, rebelling against authority (the space TO rebel as well) and the problematic ideology that often gets people rallying for the wrong thing at the right time. I thought the actor playing the authoritarian German teacher, Igor Samobor, did a good job portraying a complex figure who we are almost solicited (esp. by the student characters) to hate, despite his approach clearly being something that the students themselves have been so sorely seeking from their academic authorities. It is also interesting to read the film as a parallel to real political struggle and especially as a critique of the left on the question of authority vs so-called anti-authoritarianism (which seems to generate an obscene totalitarian authority just through their disengagement with the question itself).

Recommended, and would be good to hear what you guys think.