Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

KLF

Started by the psyche intangible, May 17, 2015, 02:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Pretty sure that video has been confirmed to be made my a fan already. We might get something about the million quid, but I really, really doubt we'll have an actual KLF reformation ever.

Twed

Hmm, indeed. They still know how to be the KLF, don't they? Or somebody else is really good at pretending.

Is it the case for anybody that when they see the word KLF, they will unavoidably hear in their head (or sing out loud) "Kale-F! Uh huh, uh huh uh huh! Beep boop, boop beep! KLF is gonna rock ya"? I don't mean once in a while, I mean every damned time. No bad thing of course.

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 19, 2015, 04:53:42 PM
I'm giving Space another chance after reading this thread.  That bit of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star gave me the bloody fear the first time I tried it out.
I know what I'm putting on right now.

purlieu

Drummond earlier today: "We have no plans to reform The KLF or exploit our back catalogue in any way"
http://www.nme.com/news/music/bill-drummond-responds-klf-reunion-rumours-1935404

Drummond sold all his records and started a campaign to end recorded music. He's not going to suddenly put out a new album.

Twed

The poster above has almost the same words on it (more effusively if anything) along with promising a release from The JAMS (could be an art installation?) in August. Sorry I realise the article says all of this essentially.

mobias

Quote from: purlieu on January 05, 2017, 06:18:45 PM

Drummond sold all his records and started a campaign to end recorded music. He's not going to suddenly put out a new album.

Then again he's Bill Drummond so he may do exactly the opposite.

Joy Nktonga

Just got an email about this:

https://bleep.com/merch/81308-the-justified-ancients-of-mu-mu-the-klf-2023-a-trilogy

QuotePress Release
Well we're back again, They never kicked us out, twenty thousand years of SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT

Down through the epochs and out across the continents, generation upon generation of the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu have told variants of the same story - an end of days story, a final chapter story. But with one hope, even if the hope at times seems forlorn.

The story contained in this trilogy is the latest telling. Here it is presented as a utopian costume drama, set in the near future, written in the recent past.

Read with care.

REMEMBERED - TOLD - TRANSCRIBED for K 2 Plant Hire Ltd

Colour me excited! Still keeping my beady eyes out for anything actually musical/recorded sounds, but for now this will do.

Twed

KLLLFFFFF
UH HUH
UH HUH UH HUH

BOOP BLEEP BOOP

buzby

Quote from: Twed on February 15, 2017, 01:46:39 PM
KLLLFFFFF
UH HUH
UH HUH UH HUH

BOOP BLEEP BOOP
Souinds like the KLF vs Extreme Noise Terror version from the Brit Awards.
(it's sung by PP Arnold on the other versions of 3AM Eternal, part of the session work she did for the aborted The White Room OST album)

Twed

I thought it was just the standard, canonical version:

https://youtu.be/LXEOESuiYcA?t=68

buzby

Quote from: Twed on February 15, 2017, 02:45:59 PM
I thought it was just the standard, canonical version:

https://youtu.be/LXEOESuiYcA?t=68
It was the use of all caps that made me think of the way the ENT frontman (Dean Jones?) shouts/growls it
https://youtu.be/h_I0b05zpJ4?t=27s

Twed

I appreciate your attention to detail buzby.

Billy

As someone who was still learning how to speak and eat with the correct utensils during their commercial peak years, I'll always remember switching on VH1 as a bored fifteen year old circa 2003-04, hearing '3AM Eternal' for the first time and my mind being fucking blown by it. Even just over a decade later it sounded better than anything else in the charts, and in those pre-Youtube days I had to wait months until I heard it again. I remember they did an 'Every Number 1 of the 90s' countdown that year, and the closer they got to the start of 1991 the more excited I got, as I knew that song was about to come on.

The rest of their catalogue I discovered a few years later when Youtube arrived. Fucking brilliant even now, I wish I heard any of their songs somewhere other than through the headphones of my computer/smartphone tho. The millions of times I've heard Rihanna's 'We Found Love' or similar modern bollocks in a club and I'd kill for a blast of Last Train To Trancentral at some point in my life. I'll make sure it's on the playlist for my 30th birthday, even if I'll be the only one who knows what the fuck they're dancing to...

The Masked Unit

Well it was certainly a glorious time to be an 12 year old at under 18s discotheques, I can tell you.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Billy on February 17, 2017, 03:02:43 AM
As someone who was still learning how to speak and eat with the correct utensils during their commercial peak years, I'll always remember switching on VH1 as a bored fifteen year old circa 2003-04, hearing '3AM Eternal' for the first time and my mind being fucking blown by it. Even just over a decade later it sounded better than anything else in the charts, and in those pre-Youtube days I had to wait months until I heard it again. I remember they did an 'Every Number 1 of the 90s' countdown that year, and the closer they got to the start of 1991 the more excited I got, as I knew that song was about to come on.

The rest of their catalogue I discovered a few years later when Youtube arrived. Fucking brilliant even now, I wish I heard any of their songs somewhere other than through the headphones of my computer/smartphone tho. The millions of times I've heard Rihanna's 'We Found Love' or similar modern bollocks in a club and I'd kill for a blast of Last Train To Trancentral at some point in my life. I'll make sure it's on the playlist for my 30th birthday, even if I'll be the only one who knows what the fuck they're dancing to...

To be fair, other than maybe your local Ritzy, I'm not sure where you would have heard it out in 1991/2

buzby

Quote from: monkfromhavana on February 17, 2017, 04:35:04 PM
To be fair, other than maybe your local Ritzy, I'm not sure where you would have heard it out in 1991/2

Yes, the Stadium House versions were'nt particularly aimed at clubs. You used to hear the various Pure Trance mixes of What Time Is Love and the Break For Love mix of 3AM Eternal (and Kylie Said Trance and Kylie Said Harder) a lot around 88-90 though. The Stadium House versions seem to have been Bill and Jimmy using the methods they developed for Doctorin' The Tardis (which Pete Waterman claims Bill and Jimmy picked up when they worked with him as Brilliant) to make them as chart and radio-friendly as possible while still retaining the club feel.

It was pretty fascinating at the time for me to see how they developed though the various versions and remixes from bona fide underground club bangers to chart topping singles. Having been a fan since the beginning (I was given a tape of 1987 by a work colleague of my sister as I didn't manage to get a copy from Probe before they were withdrawn) it was interesting to see how after their experience with the lawyers on that album they basically started sampling themselves. Little bits like the 'Justified Ancients of Mu MU' chant from All You Need Is Love, and the 'Mu Mu' chants from Burn The Bastards (PP Arnold and Katie Kissoon doing the session vocals again) crop up again, and of course their last single as The KLF was a rerecording of the first track on 1987

purlieu

Yeah, their way of reinventing their own material is one of the things that made their work so fascinating. Quite a large proportion of Chill Out was based on their singles. They only really had a handful of songs, but they did so much with them that they managed to turn them into a career.

phantom_power

Yeah they made a little go a long way without it seeming like barrel-scraping. One of my favourites is the Echo and the Bunnymen mix of What Time is Love

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on February 18, 2017, 03:25:02 PM
Yeah they made a little go a long way without it seeming like barrel-scraping. One of my favourites is the Echo and the Bunnymen mix of What Time is Love
"I'll just say the magic word - Herbidacious"
That and the Virtual Reality mix are ones I obsessively replayed back then. The blending of acid house and 60s psychedelia on the Bunnymen mix is superb. The Virtual Reality mix is a reprise of Chill Out, and it's the only place fragments of what was going to be the Pure Trance version of Go To Sleep appear.

phantom_power

Does anyone know where the sample of the woman in that Bunnymen mix is from? The "this is what's happening now" bit

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on February 18, 2017, 06:36:36 PM
Does anyone know where the sample of the woman in that Bunnymen mix is from? The "this is what's happening now" bit
No, the 'Where are the kids gonna go?" sample and that one have never been identified. Presumably it's from some news report or documentary. They must have had access to some really obscure stuff though, like the local radio news report from Bellmore in New York about Jack Atsidakos's fatal crash on Merrick Road in Montauk (the Lindencrest Diner is still there and seems to be run by his brother now).

purlieu

Another confirmation that they'll be doing no new music in there, too.

Squink

This doesn't look very promising, a novel...more stuff about them burning a million quid. Meh. Maybe they should have left it as is?

Not sure how many people were genuinely expecting music..   

Alternatively there is this book coming soon which sounds like it will be an excellent read.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/turn-up-the-strobe-the-klf-the-jams-the-timelords-a-history/

purlieu

Quote from: Squink on July 20, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
This doesn't look very promising, a novel...more stuff about them burning a million quid. Meh. Maybe they should have left it as is?
They said at the time they wouldn't discuss the burning until the end of their 23 year moratorium, so this has always been coming. Together and separately they've created plenty of books, installations, situationist art projects and all-sorts, so the novel is just a continuation of that. They're certainly most famous for their three years of music as The KLF, but that's only a small part of their output.

Quote from: Psychotic Mongoose on July 20, 2017, 03:20:31 PM
Not sure how many people were genuinely expecting music..   
From my interactions online, a lot.

Twed

I was because I don't pay close enough attention to things

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Clicked the Waterstones link expecting to be outraged at the mark up on an "exclusive stamped copy" but 18 quid's not that bad.

Thought whatever the event was going to be would be a good excuse to finally visit Liverpool but not sure I'm going to even bother trying. 400 tickets and fuck knows what you'll be volunteering to do. I don't mean that in a lazy way or that for 100 quid I expect a mind blowing concert I just mean I know deep down the ticket would be utterly wasted on me and everything would probably go right over my head haha

daf

Quote from: purlieu on July 20, 2017, 02:32:17 PM
Another confirmation that they'll be doing no new music in there, too.

Can't imagine any new music would be up to much - has anyone manage to reheat a souffle after such a long lay-off?

BJBMK2

Went on to buy tickets for this Liverpool thing at the exact time they were said to be announced (11:23am, naturally), and there's no link anywhere on the page, no matter how many times you refresh it. Surely they couldn't have gone THAT quick?