Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

E3 2015

Started by Bored of Canada, May 17, 2015, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

I think... I think I just bought Shenmue 3.

I don't understand.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Thursday

I was thinking if they announced one of Last Guardian, FFVII Remake or Shemue 3 it'd be a successful conference. Just what?

Junglist

Pretty much the best E3 conference of all time. Sagged a little in the middle but all those three, plus Uncharted 4, Horizon, Hitman, Streetfighter 5 and No Man's Sky (which looks incredible) blew it out of the water.

Onken

Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront and Batman. All day one purchases. Disappointed by Media Molecule's Deviant Art puppet shite and I wanted some Morpheus information but guess they're saving it for Gamescom in August.

I'll watch Square for Just Cause 3 and attempt to struggle through Nintendo's tomorrow.

Kelvin

Love this compilation of highlights from the Super Mario Maker competition that happened over the weekend, as part of the lead in to Nintendo's E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4z7PJPeU-8

A full level here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJnKdzYLSyY

Made all the better by the audience reactions to these utterly deranged, sadistic levels.

Probably eight games there I can't wait to get my hands on. Dark Souls 3 is pretty far down my list.

I've not really followed the whole Last Guardian thing but I was gripped by that trailer. So atmospheric. Likewise, Horizon looks amazing, completely gripping. It was like the best bits of Tomb Raider with the bow and fluidity, mixed with I don't know what. Looked amazing and stuff like shooting off the mounted weapon to use it against the enemy gets me excited. My bros will be so excited for FF7 remake, I'll finally finish it perhaps after my eighty hour save got wiped accidentally. Shenmue. Joking by now. Wow. SFV I'm not that arsed but I'll get it and hammer it. Uncharted 4 looks much the same gameplay wise but hey, that's the game. The destructible environments look great and I'm happy with an on rails romp. Great stuff all round. Psyched.

Lee Van Cleef

So an announcement of a kickstarter for a game (Sony really wasn't willing to shell out that 2mill? Marketing stunt much?) And a remake of FF7 that doesn't even look like it is going to be a platform exclusive (timed exclusive? Like Tomb Raider?).

The most exciting thing to me so far is backwards compat on Xbone. That's a low bar.

biggytitbo

That U4 demo looks amazing of course, but I'm confused by the gameplay. Is it on rails? If it is, what are you actually controlling during the gameplay? If it isnt, how can the scripted dialogue actually fit the action?

Onken

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on June 16, 2015, 07:53:50 AM
So an announcement of a kickstarter for a game (Sony really wasn't willing to shell out that 2mill? Marketing stunt much?)

Only speculating here but Sony have most probably contributed a fair sum of money to the project. Two million is a pretty low number to fund the entire game and on the Kickstarter page its only listed for PS4 and PC platforms (December 2017). As a marketing stunt it's worked perfectly in getting people to talk about it. They've reached 1.8M in less than 8 hours and at £20 for a digital copy it won't stop any time soon.

Thursday

Yeah it does seem like it's a kind of marketing stunt more than anything. Also I guess a way of making more money from it is being able to sell things like Ryo's jacket for 10,000 and Kickstarter makes that easier.

Ignatius_S

One of the plus aspects of crowd-funding is that gets publicity, that's a given. However, I think it's worth noting that Kickstarter had already been mooted for this game last year. Given what's been happening, they would be crazy not to. One of the advantages of something like Kickstarter is that developers can use that to demonstrate demand for the proposed game and get some money to play around with – it puts them in a far stronger position when dealing with publishers, than if they're *entirely* dependent on pitching to the publisher.

In some cases, developers are able to obtain funds from other sources, who are investing because they see that there's definitely a demand. Again, this puts developers in a stronger position. Also, it lets developers work out what kind of demand/interest there is in the game.

We have no idea what the deal is with Sony or what other funding is going to be available, so it's a bit early to make a judgement. However, if Sony was bankrolling the whole thing, I doubt it would be on more than one format – and FWIW, my gut feeling is that the team had gone down the traditional publishing route, we would have longer to have wait for the game.

Kickstarter isn't perfect (see past posts) but it has meant that we've had certain games like Wasteland 2, which publishers simply weren't interested in producing.

*edit* Not sure how long it's been on the Kickstarter FAQ, but it's stated that other formats haven't been decided, which doesn't make me think that Sony are stumping up the cash for it all. I assume that they didn't say anything about console exclusivity at the presentation?

Onken

Obel

It's great that Shenmue clearly has fan support and is already on the threshold of achieving it's $2m within the same day of being put on Kickstarter... but adjusting for inflation the original Shenmue came to around $99 million! And it's not like with Shenmue 2 where they already had an engine and assets... I know this will easily clear $2m, but to make a satisfying, fleshed out conclusion to the Shenmue franchise in this age of inflated budgets and over the top focus on graphics over gameplay?

I mean I'm hopeful, but I just want a satisfying continuation, ie full of all the smaller details and little things that made the Shenmue world feel alive... I hope it's not really linear, basically.

Pdine

Closing in on the target just now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Personally I played both originals on the DC when they came out and I think they are horrifically overrated.

brat-sampson

The Last Guardian was the biggest reveal for me by a large margin. This will be the first Team Ico game in a decade, after having skipped a generation, and it's not been seen in years. If you've not, absolutely go grab the Ico/Shadow HD collection and see why people were so excited yesterday. I am hyped.

FFVII remake is basically fan service. It has to be said though the original has not aged well visually and the talk around it as being one of the classics will shift a ton of units, so I think it's a good idea. Only 'coming to PS4 first' though, which is not surprising considering budgets etc so Sony got the reveal and some timed exclusivity. People seem less up in arms about this than they were about Tomb Raider, but w/e. I actually never played through the entire original, so maybe now I will.

Shenmue, I don't know. I'm backing it just to see what the hell happens and be part of the ride w/ updates etc. $2M is nowhere near the budget required for a fully realised PS4 game like that, so this must be largely an exercise in demonstrating demand, and no doubt it'll smash the target, maybe even beat the 5M that Bloodstained just received. But we're still talking about the third game in a series that's 15 years old. Largely a direct sequel too. How are people going to get on board? I can see Sega porting them to Steam as the most obvious method, though it's entirely up to them, they've nothing to do with this KS but still have all the rights to 1 and 2. Something will have to be done with those for this to stand a chance in the wider market, and even then these were slow plodding games with very experimental gameplay ideas like QTEs and, well, going to work for a few weeks. I'm cautiously optimistic, but 100% in.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on June 16, 2015, 05:55:12 AM
Love this compilation of highlights from the Super Mario Maker competition that happened over the weekend, as part of the lead in to Nintendo's E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4z7PJPeU-8

A full level here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJnKdzYLSyY

Made all the better by the audience reactions to these utterly deranged, sadistic levels.

I can't wait for Mario Maker.  I've been using Super Mario Bros X to make levels of that nature for years now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsbdecF4rc) and it's awesome to see Nintendo's far more polished take on it, that embracing of their community, of the "kaizo" hacks.

Pdine

I believe Nintendo are Japanese.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Onken on June 16, 2015, 11:09:11 AM
Shenmue 3 Reveal reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRWL0s0l10

Calm down mate.

That was them being calm!

Quote from: Obel on June 16, 2015, 11:09:46 AM
It's great that Shenmue clearly has fan support and is already on the threshold of achieving it's $2m within the same day of being put on Kickstarter... but adjusting for inflation the original Shenmue came to around $99 million! And it's not like with Shenmue 2 where they already had an engine and assets... I know this will easily clear $2m, but to make a satisfying, fleshed out conclusion to the Shenmue franchise in this age of inflated budgets and over the top focus on graphics over gameplay?

I mean I'm hopeful, but I just want a satisfying continuation, ie full of all the smaller details and little things that made the Shenmue world feel alive... I hope it's not really linear, basically.

FWIW, that $99 million figure is disputed - http://www.destructoid.com/yu-suzuki-teases-shenmue-3-at-gdc-though-not-guaranteed-195502.phtml - and that $47 million amount, I believe is for both games. However...

In a discussion recently that I think relates to this, it was pointed out that due to advances in technology, a lot of processes are quicker/cheaper now.  The industry has changed massively.

Although there are obviously still games that have huge budgets, I wouldn't say those are the rule. Personally, I think the days of 'overinflated budgets' are well past – there's so much at risk and the market can't sustain that.

Shenmue is going to be a relatively niche title and cloth will be cut accordingly. They will be using funds other from Kickstarter – Sony is going to be providing some cash but I'm sure there will be others, plus they'll continue selling pre-orders after the Kickstarter. I did note that if you get a PS4 copy via Kickstarter, it's been stated that it will be a PSN download; it'll be interesting if it gets a retail release and I would bet yes.

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 16, 2015, 09:57:48 AM
That U4 demo looks amazing of course, but I'm confused by the gameplay. Is it on rails? If it is, what are you actually controlling during the gameplay? If it isnt, how can the scripted dialogue actually fit the action?

Sorry, not literally on rails, I was just exaggerating my point. This looks to have a little more freedom and choice on how you traverse the environment, from that brief footage. I've no problem with linear.

Pdine

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 16, 2015, 11:42:15 AM
Sorry, not literally on rails, I was just exaggerating my point.

Imagine the shipping costs.

garbed_attic

Cuphead looks ludicrously tasty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg

Fleischer style gummy graphics with constant plasmatic movements! Parping insistent jazz score! Hopefully not too much old-school 1920s racism!

Very excited for this.

brat-sampson

With U4 I want to see what happens if you try and steer the other way. In U3 if you made such a bold statement of independence the screen faded out and you had to try again. The rooftop escape sequences were a complete pain.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 16, 2015, 11:42:15 AM
Sorry, not literally on rails, I was just exaggerating my point. This looks to have a little more freedom and choice on how you traverse the environment, from that brief footage. I've no problem with linear.

I don't see how the player can be in cntrol of that car chase as it was full of scripted events. How would you know which way to go?

Pdine

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 16, 2015, 11:59:12 AM

I don't see how the player can be in cntrol of that car chase as it was full of scripted events. How would you know which way to go?

It'll be like the roof chase at the beginning of U3; go the wrong way and you die. It's a shitty gameplay mechanic but ND seem quite fond of it.

Danger Man

Quote from: brat-sampson on June 16, 2015, 11:24:37 AM
The Last Guardian was the biggest reveal for me by a large margin.

Two predictions:

1)
Spoiler alert
At the end it looks like the cat-thing has died but it hasn't really, it survives with the boy and they live happily ever after
[close]

2)
Spoiler alert
I will cry my eyes out.
[close]

Pdine

I know one thing: you're not going to be able to fuck it.

chand

All the previous games had scripted events that happen while you're in control, and dialogue that's triggered when you hit certain points/do certain things. With the car chase you're told that the objective is to head downhill, and all the roads basically lead the same way. I imagine it will funnel you to the points it needs you to be at even if you miss a turn and have to take the next one.

Benevolent Despot

I wept with elation into my cereal over Shenmue III this morning. I really thought it would never happen.

Onken

I checked out the Horizon Zero Down trailer again with a fresh pair of eyes and it might be the most exciting new IP announced at this year's E3. Guerrilla are making an ambitious open world RPG and bringing in experienced talent with the Fallout New Vegas head writer and Witcher 3 quest writers all on board.

Anything with a fantasy setting, dragons, goblins all that guff is always an instant turn off. I deliberately skipped over SkyRim and Oblivion. This being set in the future with civilisation sent back to the dark ages and the added the twist of robot dinosaurs inhabiting the place makes for an interesting premise I can get behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5UVTsKCE

mobias

The player is fully in control of the vehicle. Uncharted 4 is apparently made up of  multiple levels with each level being a mini open world unto itself with numerous different paths through it. It's all to make the game seem less linear and scripted. You should be able to play through the game multiple times and have a somewhat different experience each time. Sounds interesting if it all works out.