Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An artist for the new £20 note

Started by Alberon, May 19, 2015, 12:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

The Bank of England wants an artist to feature on their next version of the £20 note. They'd prefer a lady artist as at the moment only one of the four banknotes feature a person of the non-male persuasion despite women making up well over 30% of the population.

QuoteThey can include artists, sculptors, printmakers, designers, craftspeople, ceramicists, architects, fashion designers, photographers and filmmakers.

Speaking at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, the governor of the Bank, Mark Carney, said people should consider artists "beyond the most obvious and most famous" but they must also be "beyond the grave".

So who would you have? And what would your version of the new £20 look like?

fit bird

"BEYOND THE MOST OBVIOUS...BEYOND THE GRAVE" -Mark Carney

Onken

I was going to Photoshop Tracy Emin onto one to see how she would look.

I didn't know this but I received a warning message that its illegal.

Mijkediablo

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on May 19, 2015, 12:03:36 PMdespite women making up well over 30% of the population.

Are you sure about that? There's only 29% in Parliament and I'm given to understand they're representative of the population as a whole.

Bad Ambassador

thenoise

There is a woman on every bank note (not to mention every stamp and coin) in circulation.  The most common - five pound note - has two women on it.

Edit: da fuck!?  Winston bloody Churchill is replacing Elizabeth Fry?  What a trite, obvious choice.

Elizabeth Fry was an good choice - somebody famous-ish but not famous enough that you immediately knew who it was, so more people got to know something about them.

Captain Z

Hmm, which of those non-obvious, dead, female ceramicists shall I go for...?

Don_Preston

Noodle Lizard

It'll be Sarah Millican or Catherine Tate, I reckon.

EDIT:  Wait "beyond the grave" is a really stupid way of saying (I assume) dead as fuck.

MoonDust

MoonDust

thenoise

Sorry can't do photoshop, but this lady is talented, influential, British, dead and a woman, so appears to meet all the requirements....

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Was going to say the same. Otherwise, we just bide our time until Kate Bush expires.