Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fresh Meat - Series 4

Started by BritishHobo, May 31, 2015, 02:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Quote from: https://twitter.com/jackwhitehall/status/603981722271784960Jack Whitehall
‏@jackwhitehall
Just shot the last ever scene of Fresh Meat. *violin music* What an amazing journey!!! I will miss these guys!

neveragain

I thought it had been cancelled already.

Bhazor

QuoteJack Whitehall
‏@jackwhitehall

Why does that annoy me so much?

Petey Pate

Why four seasons, don't most university degrees last three years?

up_the_hampipe

It's been so long since series 3, I don't even remember what happened. I don't even remember their names.

Queneau

That Inbetweeners twat even manages to annoy me in a still picture. Look at him.

MuteBanana

Greg McHugh really should be in more things.

I don't like Gary but I see he was in two episodes of Bob Servant and he was in Marvellous which I still haven't seen. So, yeah, more than that though. I dunno.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 31, 2015, 04:35:59 PM
Why four seasons, don't most university degrees last three years?

They have to do 4 years now because A-levels were made easier.

Noodle Lizard

If I remember correctly, the first series was just the first term/semester of the first year.  I don't remember what timespan the others took place over.

Noodle Lizard

Either way, it's a good thing it's ending.  I reckon this meat is actually starting to look a bit gamey!!!!

MuteBanana

Maybe this series is them being out there in the working world.

BritishHobo

I never finished series 3, so I'm working my way through at the moment. I am enjoying it, although it feels a bit loose and aimless generally.

Also, while I disagree with the mad CaB hate for Joe Thomas (I think he's genuinely funny in The Inbetweeners, and the problem here is, just like with Kimberly Nixon, the crap characterisation itself - not the acting), Kingsley is an unbelievable cunt. I despise his relationship with Josie, I despise Josie, and I despise him. I can only hope that they drown in a lake at the end of series 3.

BritishHobo

That's me caught up. No lake-drowning, sadly.

Anyone who wants a refresher and can't be arsed to check Wikipedia (like me last series) - Vod realizes she's been a bit of a shit to Oregon (although, to be fair, Oregon herself's been a massive shit) so she throws the student election which she was only running in to piss Oregon off, by announcing a homophobic policy. Oregon wins but the previous president leaves her with an SU in crisis. Howard and Candice end up together, which is pretty sweet.

Josie and Kingsley try an open relationship to solve their problem of being fucking awful together, but in the end they both love each other too much to go through with it, but then in the actual end they finally finally acknowledge that it isn't going to work. Although they do it in a way that implies they've ever been anything other than hateful twats to each other, which is a bit disingenuous.

JP, uh... does a load of coke and cleans the house. He wanks off a guitar and says 'God I'm horny.' Roll credits.

Queneau

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 01, 2015, 04:09:41 AMAlso, while I disagree with the mad CaB hate for Joe Thomas (I think he's genuinely funny in The Inbetweeners, and the problem here is, just like with Kimberly Nixon, the crap characterisation itself - not the acting), Kingsley is an unbelievable cunt. I despise his relationship with Josie, I despise Josie, and I despise him. I can only hope that they drown in a lake at the end of series 3.

Is the reverse not true of him in The Inbetweeners. The writing seems slightly better for him in that and yet whatever he says or does is always always done very badly indeed. There really can be no mistaking his lack of acting ability.

Noodle Lizard

Aye, no defending Joe Thomas.  He is dreadful, through and through.  Jack Whitehall shines next to him, what's that tellin ya

Norton Canes

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 02, 2015, 01:25:58 AMVod realizes she's been a bit of a shit to Oregon (although, to be fair, Oregon herself's been a massive shit) so she throws the student election which she was only running in to piss Oregon off, by announcing a homophobic policy. Oregon wins but the previous president leaves her with an SU in crisis. Howard and Candice end up together, which is pretty sweet

That sounds disconcertingly familiar. I think it's the only episode of Fresh Meat I've ever watched.

dr beat

If memory serves, Series 3 was a bit of mess all round, which is a shame as I'd really enjoyed the first two.

So will this see them back at uni? A postgrad series would be good, showing them having to adjust to life immediately after graduation, and I think there's plenty of material to be mined from such a scenario.

momatt

So more Zawe Ashton on telly.  This can only be a good thing.
I'm still not really sure if I fancy Vod, or if she terrifies me.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 02, 2015, 07:29:23 AM
Aye, no defending Joe Thomas.  He is dreadful, through and through.  Jack Whitehall shines next to him, what's that tellin ya

I won't have it. I simply won't, I tell you.

I used to think he was the weakest one on The Inbetweeners, but re-watching it recently he's really not bad. A really spoilt child in the guise of a normal teenage boy.

It just strikes me that the problem with Kingsley is that he's a massive cock. Thomas' performance doesn't really matter either way, because it's the entire concept of the affected 'cool' musician persona with the shit soul patch and all his bollocks that gets stripped away because he's constantly acting like an over-sensitive dick. He's a chore to watch because he's a fucking cunt, same as with Josie.

BritishHobo

Series 3 was the first semester of their second year, right? It lost all semblance of being about uni really, so it's quite hard to tell. I'd assume since it's the last series that they've probably done it over their third year.

mook

he's a chore to watch because he is a very limited actor not because the character is a cunt. as you said josie is a cunt too, but the girl playing her can act so it's not a chore. so there. now say sorry for getting stuff wrong. ta.

BritishHobo

momatt

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 02, 2015, 12:13:00 PM
It lost all semblance of being about uni really, so it's quite hard to tell.

Ha, this is very true.  I don't think any of them went to a single lecture in the whole series.
So if they were attempting any sort of realism they'd all have failed and be back living with their parents now.

Thursday

Or graduated successfully and still be unemployed living with their parents now.

BritishHobo

Quote from: mook on June 02, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
he's a chore to watch because he is a very limited actor not because the character is a cunt. as you said josie is a cunt too, but the girl playing her can act so it's not a chore. so there. now say sorry for getting stuff wrong. ta.

But sometimes it seems like it legitimately can't be placed at his feet. There's a bit in the last episode where Josie cries delivering a speech about why they should break up because if they stay together then she's afraid they'll end up hating each other. Even though they're a crap couple, it's genuinely sweet. Then Kingsley just goes 'yeah alright'. But, like... did the writer/director not want more out of him than that? Surely even a crap attempt at looking sad is better than undermining your own emotional moment with a crap non-joke.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Queneau on May 31, 2015, 05:25:24 PM

Wot no Candice? Poor Howard

Spoiler alert
All the same- good riddance.
[close]

BritishHobo

She could still be back, I suppose. It may just be that they only want the core, original cast in the publicity shot.

Because Jack Whitehall's Twitter is apparently the main source of marketing for this series, he's announced that the show will return on January 5th.

BritishHobo

Fuck knows what happened to that date. The trailer is here, and it'll start on the 22nd.

Looks like they're refocusing it on university stuff for the final term, which should be fun.

Blue Jam

I was about to start a thread on this... the air date was put back numerous times, maybe that's not a good sign, or maybe there's a good reason for it.

I'm hoping the new series is better than the lacklustre series 3, made when Bain and Armstrong were presumably also bogged down/perhaps overstretched with the lacklustre Peep Show series 8 and the lacklustre Babylon, but the series 4 preview doesn't look too promising:

https://www.facebook.com/all4/videos/750035301797825/

Subplots include
Spoiler alert
the arrival of JP's brother
[close]
:

LINK WITH SPOILERY URL

QuoteIn the first episode of the upcoming series,
Spoiler alert
Jack Whitehall's posho student JP introduces his flatmates to his brother, a smoothie-chops banker called Tomothy (who was given his name because their parents couldn't decide on Timothy or Thomas).

"Tomathy lingers throughout like a spectre," says Whitehall of the new character who is fresh faced, ever so slightly podgy and speaks with a thoroughbred posh voice.

When RadioTimes.com asked writers Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong about the new character, they admit that the rather unscrupulous chap, played by Richard Goulding, bears more than a close physical and vocal resemblance to a certain David Cameron.

But they assured RadioTimes.com that the likeness wasn't deliberate.

"At no point does it say David Cameron in the script!," says Bain.
[close]

...and yet more
Spoiler alert
sexual tension bollocks between Kingsley, JP and Josie
[close]
. Arrrghh:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-25/
Spoiler alert
fresh-meat-series-4-to-have-a-very-sexy-tension-y-triangle-between-josie-jp-and-kingsley
[close]
[/url]

There is also
Spoiler alert
a graduation episode
[close]
[/url] so it looks like this really is the end, bar any spin-off series. I for one would love to see a series about Vod in Graduateland if only it would definitely, definitely be better than Not Safe For Work.