Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK 'is a wanker' accusations resurface

Started by kngen, June 04, 2015, 12:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

I remember there being some rumours about this a few years back, then it all went quiet, but here we are again:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/250286/jen-kirkman-louis-ck-gross-behavior-podcast/

Well, my wife says I quote him far too much anyway, so that'll probably put an end to that.

Paaaaul

Was it Kirkman who brought it up a couple of years ago too?
I can't remember.

kngen

up_the_hampipe

Seems like a bunch of nonsense speculation at this point. I'd like to hope it isn't true because the logic in his stand-up doesn't point to that, unlike Bill "Spanish Fly" Cosby.

Depressed Beyond Tables

If it's true make the clear allegation and if you're also a comedian then maybe get some material out of it. You could build a whole show on that.

Or else you're just lying/wasting people's time.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Very depressing if true. Not just because he's really good, but because multiple bits of his standup point to him being aware, intelligent and seemingly sincere with regards to this kind of thing. You never know, I suppose. This would hit me harder than the Cosby allegations I think, he was one of the first comedians I was properly obsessed with.

Squink

I'm guessing Louis got lawyered up, hence the podcast removal. Is Louis CK really that powerful? To me the most powerful American comics have all starred in big feature films, which he hasn't at all. His TV show is surely more on the cult-y level.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I guess "power" in the comedy world is something more specific than A-list celebrity power. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get people blacklisted from the circuit, though I would be dismayed if it turns out he's the sort of person to use that power.

tomasrojo

As I mentioned in the previous thread, Marc Maron, who used to share a house with Louis CK, mentioned in one of the live WTF podcasts that male US comedians have a common habit of asking ladies who come back to watch them, if the ladies aren't willing to have sex.  He didn't mention forcing anyone to do anything.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on June 04, 2015, 03:09:40 PM
he's really good
I've tried a few times but can never get into anything of his.

Anyone care to link me some youtube smash-hits which might sway me into liking him?

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

Tiny Poster

Remember that ep of Louie where Chole Sevigny compulsively masturbates next to him in a coffee shop?

Pseudopath

Quote from: Morrison Lard on June 04, 2015, 03:38:21 PM

Anyone care to link me some youtube smash-hits which might sway me into liking him?

It's as old as the hills, but I've always loved this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_XiA4U_XsE

It's a weird predicament. It took over twenty women to accuse Cosby of drugging and raping them before people finally went "Well, maybe at least one of them is telling the truth". People always find reasons not to believe someone. This seems a bit of an uphill battle.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Just because somebody or twenty people say things or hint at something doesn't mean it's true. If they say it in a court of law then at least they are willing to be scrutinised by professionals and risk prosecution if they are lying.

20 people say stuff that isn't true about celebs on the internet everyday - sorry, that's not the way to convict anybody.

Richard Herring & his high-backed armchair.

Steven

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on June 04, 2015, 04:56:49 PM
20 people say stuff that isn't true about celebs on the internet everyday - sorry, that's not the way to convict anybody.

Victim blamer!

Just because somebody or twenty people say things or hint at something doesn't mean it's true. If they say it in a court of law then at least they are willing to be scrutinised by professionals and risk prosecution if they are lying.

Not saying it makes it true. But I don't think an unwillingness to face professional scrutiny means anything either. I've never been the victim (or perpetrator) of such a crime, but I was once a witness, and I know how terrifying it can be and how difficult it is on a simple biological level to turn in somebody who you once trusted, and how tempting it is to pretend it didn't happen. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of what the victim goes through. To, a, have the worst thing that ever happened to you, and b, put all your energy into persuading people that it happened at all. It also assumes that legal justice is the be-all and end-all of closure. When people say "Well, why didn't they just go through the proper legal procedure?" they're often envisioning a world that's so idealistic that crimes like this would never happen at all.

comic630

Richard Herring & his high-backed armchair.

Exactly. A perfect example of deception is: a couple of weeks ago, there was an internal election in a small party in my country. Since forming political parties is a burocratic nightmare and the elections were open to any party member, there was a cultish church that tried to take over the political party. They joined the party last minute and started voting en masse on one of their own.

So, there are people who will do odd and crazy things for money and power. At the moment I have zero reasons to believe that these accusations are more than gossip.

comic630

Quote from: Morrison Lard on June 04, 2015, 03:38:21 PM

This is still my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7xc_XqYO8

This one is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiH4n8Yz380

Replies From View

Quote from: Squink on June 04, 2015, 03:19:24 PM
To me the most powerful American comics have all starred in big feature films, which he hasn't at all. His TV show is surely more on the cult-y level.

True.  It needs a region 2 release to cross that threshold.

Mr Banlon

I heard rumours about the current series of Louie being good. They turned out to be false.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Squink on June 04, 2015, 03:19:24 PM
I'm guessing Louis got lawyered up, hence the podcast removal.

No, she removed it herself and sent repeated Tweets to the author asking him to remove his "shitty" article.

Jamie Oliver is fat

This is getting a bit stupid isn't it.

I'll be as gutted as Kishi if this is true, but at the moment it's just shitty, shitty gossiping of the worst kind that can destroy innocent people's lives.

monolith

Louis hasn't been married for years so doesn't sound like it fits. If it happened when he was still married then it's a bit weird for Jen Kirkman to name him as her favourite comedian in the last few years.

Not him imo.

alan nagsworth

40 Helens agree, that's not the way to convict anybody.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Probably not Louis if the bit "dressed as a woman and shouting feck" is anything to go by.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 04, 2015, 05:56:38 PM
No, she removed it herself and sent repeated Tweets to the author asking him to remove his "shitty" article.

Didn't she also say that the article was untrue in the same tweet or subsequent tweets? I could google it but I'm sleepy.

neardark

Finding it very odd that people are still treating this as 'gossip' despite those words being Jen Kirkman's. I've no idea who she is, but why is everyone taking it like a pinch of salt? Either the quote was totally fabricated or she's talking about Louis CK.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on June 04, 2015, 05:17:50 PM
Not saying it makes it true. But I don't think an unwillingness to face professional scrutiny means anything either. I've never been the victim (or perpetrator) of such a crime, but I was once a witness, and I know how terrifying it can be and how difficult it is on a simple biological level to turn in somebody who you once trusted, and how tempting it is to pretend it didn't happen. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of what the victim goes through. To, a, have the worst thing that ever happened to you, and b, put all your energy into persuading people that it happened at all. It also assumes that legal justice is the be-all and end-all of closure. When people say "Well, why didn't they just go through the proper legal procedure?" they're often envisioning a world that's so idealistic that crimes like this would never happen at all.

Look I know there are situations where defendants can make life miserable (or short) for people who threaten to testify against them but we are not talking about some mafia hitman trial.

It's not a perfect system but personally I don't buy the argument that life would be hell if a victim of CK's came out. It's the only way he will ever have to take responsibility - and if it was sexual abuse, that's a serious charge. It might be 'hell', but it might end with a conviction too.

But the whole 'I can't say anything but his name rhymes with gooey' can fuck right off. It appears to be an attempt to further a career by association rather than any real intention of bringing anyone to justice for real crimes - and not to mention the absolute betrayal of possible future female victims.

It stinks altogether.