Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Retro Arcade Games (Midway)

Started by Uncle Gripper, February 13, 2004, 11:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Gripper

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=search&adudisc=y

This spearheaded the thread, i received it yesterday, or was it yesteryear.......

Now. All most of the games featured invoke a nostalgia unsurpassed in any retro compilation so far. ALbiet there are some games i never heard of never mind played. The real all action heroes are there.

Robotron
Gauntlet
Smash TV
Spy Hunter
Defender

and the seminal Marble Madness....I think i nearly came in my pants when i first played this, even though i was of an age were cumming was merely a direction to do so. The ambient tunes, the isometric clarity the trackball, the responsive game, the impossible 4th level, ahhhhhhhh,,, genuine thrills, thems were the days.

i spent almost all my waking hours either IN arcades or thinking about arcades, we even developed a method by which we could get 'virtually' free plays. Called 'FLICKING', Now Midway games were best for this, as the rejected coin slots did not have lids on, you know the type. Most Midway cases had an open hole that you could introduce a 2 pence into and gain a credit, if you knew what ye were doin. AND if the machine had a 50p slot for 6 credits the 2p = 6 credits, BONUS. What an amazing time was to be had if an arcade had a many Midway games, unknown hours were spent by me and my mates playing classics such as these, and even some places would put different JAMMA boards into these cases enabling us to play other classics such as Time Pilot :-)

To sum up, i LOVE arcades, the flashing lights the incessant noise, the gameplay frenzy, these were in the days before Playstations and Gameboys, an ethereal time enjoyed by many.

However, i am looking for some help here,i rememeber a game, that had a big black motorbike you sat on and raced through various intergalactical racecourses, all very futuristic, vector graphics and very very techno, for 1984, Space somenthing, or RIder, i canny remember. Ive searched MAME like a twat but came up with fuck all. So if there are any 10p madmen out there can help then please do.

PS there is a bag of over salty chips in it for the first person to name the game .....

Funky Gibbon

Like I said in Multimongia,

QuoteThe only Midway game that immediately springs to mind is Mortal Kombat. I wasted many an hour pasting the lad next door with me as Kano or Raiden. Fantastic.
Not exactly 'arcade' but I never got out much.

Uncle Gripper

THATS THE ONE........

Fucken hell, i wonder how much a working model of that would go for on E-gay.  Absolute class, trippier than i remembered.  The chequered finish line used to look ace as you crossed it/. Mmmmmmmmmm, more 10p's parted with i think.....but worth it man, i mean just check it out, 10p ye say, here ive got £40 quid what do i get for that ;-)

Pinball

Now you just need the laserdisc ;-)

A rare game that.  Someone on the game newsgroups will have it though...

MonkeyDrummer

I was in an arcade the other day. I was in Glasgow and had 45 mins to spare, couldn't think of what to do and then i remember booths....now it's been years since i've been in an arcade. I used to love them as a child, I was soo addicted i used to steal money from my dad's domino fund to finance my habit. (got caught and grounded for 6 months). After that I managed to stay away, fast forward 13 years and I can feel my heart race as i imagine what sort of games they have nowadays.
I was expecting direct neuro stimulation at the very least. But NAW!!!!!! fucking NAWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! House of the Dead 4. Virtua Fighter 4....fuck me, it wiz a big bag a pish. What happened to Virtual Reality? Did that just get dropped as a concept? i know the graphics were shite back then and that's what held it back, but surely nowadays we can use the technology to it's optimum. Does this deserve a new thread? Whatever happened to Virtual Reality?

Funky Gibbon

Virtual reality does work now to a certain extent, but the price and the fact that it makes people sick as dogs makes it less than ideal for mass entertainment. Plus the headset or whatever would be most unsanitary in an arcade environment.