Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Keep (1983)

Started by Viero_Berlotti, June 07, 2015, 11:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Directed by Michael Mann, soundtrack by Tangerine Dream based on a novel about Nazi's camped out in an old Keep in Romania that disturb an ancient entity that begins to suck out their souls. Seems to be loosely based on the Jewish 'Golem' mythology.

So that sound's like there's is no way it could fail right?

Well, this film seems to think that it is going to be 2001: A Space Odyssey but end's up being more Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's a wonderful car crash of a film, that is still worthy of attention despite it's massive failings. It contains some fantastically cinematic moments courtesy of the Mann/TD collaboration, but also contains what is probably the worse performance of Ian McKellen's career.

It's on Netflix, well worth watching at least once if you're a fan of well made schlock.

Yep i really enjoyed it, although it does have flaws, the story is ultimately good versus evil in a Biblical context.
The scene with the German guard peering through to what i believe to be hell, is a particular memorable scene that captures the imagination.

DukeDeMondo

Fuckin love The Keep. I think you're doing it a disservice, VB. It's far more accomplished and atmospheric than you're givin it credit for.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 07, 2015, 12:13:50 PM
Fuckin love The Keep. I think you're doing it a disservice, VB. It's far more accomplished and atmospheric than you're givin it credit for.

No, I love it myself. It's visually and aurally stunning, but you cannot deny it's flaws are deep enough to stop it being the film it could well have been. It's a poorly scripted B-Movie at heart, but a B-Movie expertly crafted by one of the cinematic greats.

NoSleep

I remember this being pretty good. Also notable for having the U-Boat captain from Das Boot, who I thought was going to start appearing in more English-speaking films after his stunning performance in that (albeit that film is in German), but possibly The Keep and Dune put paid to him doing very much else in English (that I've seen, anyway). Similar fate to the lead actor in The Warriors, due to him appearing in Xanadu next.

NoSleep

Actually, I see Jurgen Prochnow has done at least a reasonable amount of English-speaking parts since (including appearing in "24" which I've never watched). More than Michael Beck, whose last but one job appears to have been doing voice acting for the 2005 Warriors video game.