Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stone roses. Blood on the turntables.

Started by Brian, September 29, 2004, 08:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Did anyone else see this?  It was on a couple of nights ago on BBC3.  It was hilarious.  Their ex manager Gareth Evans tried to bluff his way into some kind of Mclarenhood, while Mani laughed.
Evans:  I am the Stone roses!
  He tried to make out that signing the worst record deal in history was part of his "plan".

TJ

I liked him taking credit for popularising flared trousers. I thought it was common knowledge that it was Shaun Ryder and Bez who reintroduced them as a fashion item, recommending them to fellow E-heads for their discomfort-reducing qualities?

A good documentary on the whole, though. Nice to see Andy Couzens acknowledged, and that the truth about the recording-preventing injunctions was related instead of the lies about 'laziness'. Great to see the original 'Elephant Stone' video again, too.

TJ

A rare accurate account of Spike Island too.

Pilf

Gareth Evans was absolutely cracking me up, he made that program with his immense self-delusion. I can't believe he's really like that.

It was done in the usual over dramatic way of the 'blood on the turntables' shows, but was very interesting.

Johnny Yesno

I saw that. I had some sympathy for them over that ridiculous record deal they signed with Jive until they were bragging about what they did to the metal (I forget the name) record label boss. Okay, he made a shite video for one of their records but but he had treated them fine until they welched on their commitment to him. If anything it was their manager they should have had issues with - I know it's easy to say this about a lot of people but he really was like David Brent, wasn't he? As for loyalty, they were fine ones to talk with dropping members whenever convenient.
Then there was Noel Gallagher going on about how the Stone Roses manager used to look for the cool-looking kids like him to give tickets to; the manager reckoned he used to just leave loads of tickets lying around where students would find them.
A reasonable documentary about a bunch of utter pillocks, I reckon.

TJ

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"I saw that. I had some sympathy for them over that ridiculous record deal they signed until they were bragging about what they did to the metal record label boss. Okay, he made a shite video for one of their records but but he had treated them fine until they welched on their commitment to him.

They didn't wlech on it - it wasn't explicitly stated in the programme, but they only ever had a one-single contract with FM Revolver. Are you getting confused with Thin Line, where they did actually have an album contract (for the unreleased-until-1996-and-pretty-ropey "Garage Flower) that they wrangled their way out of?

QuoteIf anything it was their manager they should have had issues with - I know it's easy to say this about a lot of people but he really was like David Brent, wasn't he? As for loyalty, they were fine ones to talk with dropping members whenever convenient.

No entirely fair - Andy Couzens' departure was complicated and involved a row over a contract, Pete Garner left of his own accord, then it was pretty much the main four right up to 1995.

QuoteThen there was Noel Gallagher going on about how the Stone Roses manager used to look for the cool-looking kids like him to give tickets to; the manager reckoned he used to just leave loads of tickets lying around where students would find them.

Noel wasn't a student, but *was* known as something of a 'cool' face around Manchester at the time and it was regarded as a bit of a status symbol if he turned up to one of your early gigs. Gareth Evans didn't say he *didn't* hand tickets out to cool-lloking people, he just used the student refectory thing as an example. What's so unbelievable about that?

QuoteA reasonable documentary about a bunch of utter pillocks, I reckon.

Well, each to their own.

vladyeti

I watched it - it was very enjoyable, and made me laugh more than a lot of comedies I've seen.  It's a shame that Mani was the only Stone Rose who contributed (unless you count Andy Couzens).

That Gareth Evans was totally nuts.  When he described going to prison as "a nice holiday for the lads" I started cracking up and didn't hear the rest of that bit apart from "what better place to write songs?" at the end, which set me off again.

I liked the way he took credit for everything, down to the clothes and Squire's art.

sproggy

Top programme, very entertaining.

Why did they get Bernard Manning to stand in for Shaun Ryder?

...very puzzling indeed.

Bonely Child

I couldn't work out whether Evans was just deliberately playing up to a character which he knew was absurd, or whether he genuinely believes his own hype. A touch of both probably (though the little snippet over the credits - "'I am the Stone Roses?' Ha, I can't even play the guitar!" suggests perhaps more of the former).

It was good to have a few of the myths surrounding the band - especially the various legal wranglings - cleared up, though I couldn't help but be disappointed that Mani was the only band member prepared to be interviewed. It seemed that the documentary ended up being skewed so heavily towards Evans mainly because he talked so much, rather than because he was actually the central figure in the story.

Brian

great analysis everyone.  I needed the Cab take on that.
" They were never clever.  They were not a clever band.  The band were not clever".

Huzzie

Fucks sake!

Didn't know this was on! Why didn't anyone tell me?? (I don't mean you).

ANyone know if this will be repeated at any point, or could anyone who has  tapes it possibly lend it me for a couple of nights?

Lewis

I missed it too but have downloaded it tonight from UK Nova so get yer arse over there Huzzie.

Excellent documentary, shame more of the band weren't interviewed though, I would've liked to have seen Ian Browns take on it all. Evans did come across as a sitcom character though didn't he?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"I saw that. I had some sympathy for them over that ridiculous record deal they signed until they were bragging about what they did to the metal record label boss. Okay, he made a shite video for one of their records but but he had treated them fine until they welched on their commitment to him.

They didn't wlech on it - it wasn't explicitly stated in the programme, but they only ever had a one-single contract with FM Revolver. Are you getting confused with Thin Line, where they did actually have an album contract (for the unreleased-until-1996-and-pretty-ropey "Garage Flower) that they wrangled their way out of?

Not what Revolver and the documentary makers reckon. From their site:

QuoteSigned to Revolver in 1986.  Revolver found them, released this single and the band broke their contract in 1997 signing to Jive Zoma's Silvertone label.

QuoteIf anything it was their manager they should have had issues with - I know it's easy to say this about a lot of people but he really was like David Brent, wasn't he? As for loyalty, they were fine ones to talk with dropping members whenever convenient.

No entirely fair - Andy Couzens' departure was complicated and involved a row over a contract, Pete Garner left of his own accord, then it was pretty much the main four right up to 1995.

I could have sworn that they said on that show that the contract row was engineered to get rid of Couzens, mostly by Evans but with the rest of the band happy to let it happen.

QuoteThen there was Noel Gallagher going on about how the Stone Roses manager used to look for the cool-looking kids like him to give tickets to; the manager reckoned he used to just leave loads of tickets lying around where students would find them.

Noel wasn't a student, but *was* known as something of a 'cool' face around Manchester at the time and it was regarded as a bit of a status symbol if he turned up to one of your early gigs. Gareth Evans didn't say he *didn't* hand tickets out to cool-lloking people, he just used the student refectory thing as an example. What's so unbelievable about that?

Well okay, it's believable but Gallagher going on about being one of the cool people made me want to punch the TV screen.

QuoteA reasonable documentary about a bunch of utter pillocks, I reckon.

Well, each to their own.

Fair enough. I guess I shouldn't watch shows about bands I can't stand in the first place. Mind you, I'm not that bothered about the Sex Pistols but I couldn't help liking John Lydon on that other Blood on the Turntables doc.