Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Midnight

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

I gave up with the FF series many moons ago, but with the original team back behind the remake, this could be promising.

Personally, I have no idea why Square didn't just carry on with the dark fantasy and technology vibes instead of going all wizards and shit on us again. They've completely lost their way imo, perhaps this is their swansong?

With this remake, part of me is 100% excited to be revisiting Midgar and the Gold Saucer, but the other part of me might be disappointed as it won't ever stand up to those pre-rendered backgrounds and midi-music scores of the original. Nostalgia is a complete wally sometimes when it comes to things like this.

I guess it all depends on how the actual game plays regarding world navigation and fights. Perhaps more dedicated FF fans than me could hazard a guess at what might be in store.

See something's already been lost in my eyes in that trailer alone. I'd rather they didn't have audible voices, but looks like theyre going to speak....that detracts from the game I think. Just don't think a souped up scene for scene remake will resonate with me in anywhere near the way the original did....but then I guess that's to be expected.

Thursday

My main worry is they'll add in all the expanded lore from all the other shite spin-offs and that the characters will be doing 50ft backflips everywhere. Even though there's some old staff around I'm not too keen that Nomura guy that's directing it. He's basically behind a lot of the worse Squeenix thing like the Advent Children film. He was a character designer on FFVII but I'm not sure he'll give it the right tone. Even just the monologue on the trailer feels off

Still, it'll all be worth it for HD Lady Cloud

Oh wait

Urinal Cake

I'll probably have to get a PS4 for this, Shenmue and Persona 5. Ugh.
Hopefully they'll keep some iteration of the original turn-based combat.

lazarou

If they keep it too like the original, the fans'll hate it for being clunky. If it's too different they'll hate it for being different. More than most games, I feel like this one has an impossible goal to live up to as it was such a formative experience. For many people, especially europeans, it was their first proper JRPG. It was also one of the tentpole examples of 3D multimedia "experiences" afforded by the new PlayStation, with huge amounts of content and spectacular cinematics in ways we take as standard with major RPGs now. People talk fondly of it while at the same time mocking the writing and pointing at Sephiroth as one of the lamest examples of too-cool-for-school villains a 13 year old boy could dream of. All the while square have been busy pissing on its legacy and retrofitting it in that emo runoff doll-faced style they've been trading in a little too often since FF8. Like they know it's a widely loved game but figured the defining draw was the hairstyling.

QuoteMy main worry is they'll add in all the expanded lore from all the other shite spin-offs and that the characters will be doing 50ft backflips everywhere. Even though there's some old staff around I'm not too keen that Nomura guy that's directing it. He's basically behind a lot of the worse Squeenix thing like the Advent Children film. He was a character designer on FFVII but I'm not sure he'll give it the right tone. Even just the monologue on the trailer feels off

If they can't steer clear of Advent Children this is destined for absolute shiteness, and they probably won't.

gmoney

As long as they don't fuck with the materia system, I'll pump the arse of this forever.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Thursday on June 17, 2015, 12:45:25 AM
Even though there's some old staff around I'm not too keen that Nomura guy that's directing it. He's basically behind a lot of the worse Squeenix thing like the Advent Children film. He was a character designer on FFVII but I'm not sure he'll give it the right tone. Even just the monologue on the trailer feels off

All I remember of Advent Children was an uneven plot interspersed with lots of somersaults.

The FF7 trailer seems a bit 'Michael Bay', but at least the story, characters and world are already in place - it would be risky to change that too much.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 17, 2015, 01:17:44 AM
I'll probably have to get a PS4 for this, Shenmue and Persona 5. Ugh.
Hopefully they'll keep some iteration of the original turn-based combat.

Persona 5 will be the only one of those games to be Sony exclusive and that one will also be on PS3.

NoSleep

Quote from: Thursday on June 17, 2015, 12:45:25 AM
Even just the monologue on the trailer feels off

"FF7 is back"

Blimey, the return of FFVII and Shenmue on the same day? This is weird.

surreal

I like this live reaction to the trailer being announced.  The Shenmue reveal at 4:30 is hilarious - warning, gets VERY loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lka3Qr00VKk

Grown men there, ladies and gentlemen.

Glebe

I had already reached my 20s when the original came out, but I fucking spent hours on that and FF8, which both had imagination, style and beauty to burn - not to mention smashing soundtracks. I was hooked on my Speccy 48K as a kid to start with, but certainly wasted a chunk of my adolescence and a bit of adulthood on games - it's why I don't play 'em anymore (not that I think adults shouldn't play video games or anything.).

On a side note, the Advent Children film is pretty bad.

PAGATRON

Will it be as tough as the original? You could grind away for weeks building your player stats up to full then those optional bosses(Emerald and Ruby weapons I think) would piss all over you.

Capt.Midnight

I remember spending days grinding in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jraXR2z2YdA

Just had a flashback to the spinning save points. Which were such a relief to see, especially after defeating a boss, or making some progress and wishing there was a save point coming up soon. That added a nice bit of tension, similar to Resident Evil's typewriters.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 17, 2015, 11:11:01 AM
Persona 5 will be the only one of those games to be Sony exclusive and that one will also be on PS3.
Shenmue 3 is so far only for PC and PS4. We don't know how long FFVII will be a PS4 exclusive though. I could get a ps3 but it seems a waste to play one or two games.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 17, 2015, 08:40:30 PM
Shenmue 3 is so far only for PC and PS4. We don't know how long FFVII will be a PS4 exclusive though. I could get a ps3 but it seems a waste to play one or two games.

Sure - I didn't know if you had a PS3 or had access to one, but if you did and had a suitable PC then you've got access to those games. The point was that none were PS4 exclusive - that said, I think one is worth considering and very much so if someone is interested in those games, but you didn't sound very keen!

Urinal Cake

Ah ...it's just when I thought I was out they pulled me back in.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 17, 2015, 09:10:27 PM
Ah ...it's just when I thought I was out they pulled me back in.

I was wondering how sincere that urgh! More importantly, buy one!

Hollow

It'll be shit this...so much of Final Fantasy VII's charm is in the clunky graphics and the sparse MIDI soundtrack...they are going to piss all over it.

I hate Squaresoft these days...they have lost it.

Cerys

I was doing okay with that trailer ... and then the Buster Sword hove into view.

I may have been bouncing up and down and fangirling like a fourteen-year-old boy ever since.

Time to get a PS4, then.

NoSleep

Presumably this will be out in 2017 to mark the 20th anniversary of the original?

Cerys

Good point.  Gives me extra time to limber up for HD Sephiroth, too.

Also, chocobo feeding.  No more thumb-bashing to get the numbers up to 99, which is always a bastard.  Sheesh, I must have played that game in double figures by now.

Edit - and HD Vincent.  Oooooh.

monolith

So excited. Will probably be shit, but on the other hand it's hard to fuck up. Voices is the only thing that could be really irritating.

Cerys

I'm now picturing stuff like the Materia Caves and the submarine - what's the betting the first time you see Emerald Weapon it just fades into view ahead of you, rather than you being able to see it clearly like in the original?   And the destruction of Sector 7 - that's a potential increase of PEGI right there.

Consignia

I'm sort of in the camp of "This doesn't really need remaking". Clunky as the original was, I think it had an aesthetic that worked for what it was. While the original is not going to win any new players now, I doubt the remake will either. I'm also a bit cautious of the tone of the remake; will the more realistic look remove the cartoon bits in the original?

Despite everything, I will be getting this no matter what.

Pdine

Quote from: Consignia on June 18, 2015, 02:51:19 PM
I'm sort of in the camp of "This doesn't really need remaking". Clunky as the original was, I think it had an aesthetic that worked for what it was. While the original is not going to win any new players now, I doubt the remake will either. I'm also a bit cautious of the tone of the remake; will the more realistic look remove the cartoon bits in the original?

Yeah I played a bit of the Steam rerelease last night and wondered how well the whole 'falls on arse then rubs it ruefully' style of character movement will work with 'cooler' models.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on June 18, 2015, 02:09:01 PM
Presumably this will be out in 2017 to mark the 20th anniversary of the original?

That would be neat but really we have no idea – Final Fantasy XV was revealed about a decade ago and is only being released this year (date TBC). I'm sure (or rather hope) that we won't have anything like that but E3 reveals can lead to lengthy waits When a HD remake has been mooted previously (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Final-Fantasy-7-HD-Remake-Would-Take-Lot-Director-Says-62344.html) it sounds like it's going to take a while – on the upside, as mentioned there (and this has been mentioned in the recent coverage) mulling over what changes might be made has been going on for a few years.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Consignia on June 18, 2015, 02:51:19 PM

There was about what the tone is going to be like in this interview, http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/:
The trailer seemed pretty serious in tone. Will the occasional humor the original game carry through?

TN: The comedy or the lighthearted parts -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

hedgehog90

FF7 was a mammoth of a game. Anything close to a faithful remake will be a ridiculously huge task, also take into account that FF15 will be the main focus for Square during the next couple years, not this.
I just can't imagine they'll bother with things like Chocobo breeding, Golden Saucer minigames, Yuffi's sideplot or other similarly delightful distractions.
While I'd love to believe this could be something to look forward to, I estimate that the odds of a decent remake at about 1%

monolith

Quote from: Cerys on June 18, 2015, 02:41:43 PM
I'm now picturing stuff like the Materia Caves and the submarine - what's the betting the first time you see Emerald Weapon it just fades into view ahead of you, rather than you being able to see it clearly like in the original?   And the destruction of Sector 7 - that's a potential increase of PEGI right there.
I remember very clearly the first time I saw Emerald weapon, thinking "Haha, who does this joker think he is? Time to die my fri.... DEAD."

monolith

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 18, 2015, 04:40:52 PM
FF7 was a mammoth of a game. Anything close to a faithful remake will be a ridiculously huge task, also take into account that FF15 will be the main focus for Square during the next couple years, not this.
I just can't imagine they'll bother with things like Chocobo breeding, Golden Saucer minigames, Yuffi's sideplot or other similarly delightful distractions.
While I'd love to believe this could be something to look forward to, I estimate that the odds of a decent remake at about 1%
To be honest, whilst I played the shit out of every aspect of the original game and completed everything that was possible to complete... I would still get a lot of enjoyment from a next gen linear play through of the main storyline. And that's the absolute worst case scenario.