Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangthebuggers

Johnny Textface

Don't understand people moaning about how this is looking. They can still play the original (only reason I keep my ps1), there's also a remake on the pc which is decent. Another rebadging would have been pointless and a waste of time.

Also, new music please. Don't get me wrong, I love the original soundtrack but, again can listen while I play the original.

Consignia

Urinal Cake

I'm good with the graphics, dialogue changes and can accept the updated battle system. But I hope this chapter business bites Square in the ass.

Johnny Textface

One thing that annoyed me about the original was the lack of variety in the battle music. Considering there were literally 100s of them.

Thursday

Yeah but that's just JRPG's

Quote from: Urinal Cake on December 08, 2015, 11:16:45 PM
I'm good with the graphics, dialogue changes and can accept the updated battle system. But I hope this chapter business bites Square in the ass.

This seems rather harsh. I mean if they split it up into like 20 parts and charge full price for every one of them maybe, but I think it's fair enough to say it's a much bigger undertaking to make FFVII in this style. I mean Final Fantasy's have all been shorter and simpler since FF10. So if they've planned it out and realized it wouldn't be profitable if they weren't doing it this way then I think we should at least wait and see.

Mister Six

I thought SquareEnix was rolling in it, the fucking megabucks shite they churn out. The last FF game I played was FFXIII and that was basically 50 shit Pixar-level CGI movies bodged together, interspersed with a few battle scenes that actually seemed to resent me for getting involved.

Or have gamers wised up and stopped buying their "games", and now they're skint?

Jesus, I don't need a fully 3D Midgar. Just re-render those backgrounds and videos in HD and replace the weird super-deformed sprites with ones shaped like actual humans.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mister Six on December 09, 2015, 09:54:41 AM
Jesus, I don't need a fully 3D Midgar. Just re-render those backgrounds and videos in HD and replace the weird super-deformed sprites with ones shaped like actual humans.

Was it someone on this site (perhaps even this very thread) who liked to the lost art of Final Fantasy? It's nice seeing the full size artwork that was downsampled to fuck to fit into PAL's 576 lines of pixels.

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on December 07, 2015, 12:14:12 PM
At least we all still have the original. I would have been more interested in this if they hadn't decided to go for Action RPG (would have preferred a system like FFXIV instead, as that worked brilliantly). The idea that it has to be episodic seems like an afterthought to milk the tremendous enthusiasm from gamers for the redux for all they can; there's no reason to stretch it out like that, they have plenty of experience in presenting epic length RPGs so they fuck the fuck off.

I meant FFXII

Cloud

Well then.  Here we go again.

Urinal Cake

I can understand the changes- that's what current gamers expect. But with purchasing each chapter people rightfully should expect more content whether it's side missions, different loot or story branches because we know  Aeries dies and KORT kills everything. Which I can't see Square doing unless it's another prequel or sequel.

Square, iirc has doing well off other IP but FF has become garbage ( with a redemption to tolerable for ffXIV) which only will change if the ff7 remake or FFXV  is worth it.

Isn't a large part of the charm and atmosphere of FF7 precisely because the visuals suggest much more than they show? The rendered backgrounds in Midgar, for example, are presented at quite unusual angles and there are lots of walled off sections. Your imagination fills in a lot of the terrain and scale.

I'm replaying it at the moment, having not touched it in fifteen years, but my enduring memory of Midgar is false, from a gameplay perspective. It's an impressionistic presentation which suggests much much more than it shows, and this is its great atmospheric strength. Can you really improve on this by allowing you to see every corner of Sector 7?

NoSleep

Quote from: Urinal Cake on December 09, 2015, 11:41:36 AM
Square, iirc has doing well off other IP but FF has become garbage ( with a redemption to tolerable for ffXIV) which only will change if the ff7 remake or FFXV  is worth it.

I read somewhere (recently) that Square consider FFIX (FF Online) the definitive version of the game.

Urinal Cake

I think FFXI has made the most money.

I remember when a journalist asked whether a sequel to either Chrono T/C or Vagrant Story will ever be made Square said people should've bought more copies. It's not like Square lost money on those properties either.

Actually a remake of Vagrant Story would be ace. 

NoSleep

Vagrant Story is one of my favourite games, which is why I like FFXII so much (as it is presented in the same world and was originally directed by Yatsumi Matsuno, who walked out on the project because he didn't have the directorial control over the game he envisioned). I have lined up some earlier games by Yasumi Matsuno (FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle) which I am looking forward to play.

Cloud

But yeah the trailer does look amazing and it seems like they've managed to make what I've seen of Midgar and characters like Wedge exactly how I imagined them.  Not too sure about the voices yet... they don't sound like the guys from AC, but I haven't looked into it.

I'm not too fussed about it being a different battle system any more - they're bound to bugger up the materia system by presenting you some sort of overcomplicated branch levelling thing where you have to decide whether to take your ice materia down the "+2 mag vs. fire" path or the "-50 MP per cast" path and all that, and keeping battles the same would just highlight how much it's "the same but different".  Better to have it play completely differently and have a reason to carry on replaying the original!

Was annoyed at the idea of it being split into chapters, because you just know it'll be £50 per chapter and that's just not the kind of money I can easily justify pissing away these days.  They know I'll end up doing it anyway though.  I pretty much bought the PS4 for Type 0 (which was promptly bought to PC about a week after I got it)
On the other hand if it takes that much to make an awesome retelling then fine.  I mean, if chapter 1 is a load of crap then no one will buy chapter 2, so it's in their best interests.  No doubt we've got a LOT of time to save up yet.

Obel

Reading that back made me think how they did Sonic the Hedgehog 4 in an episodic way... and only got to part 2 before giving up. I suppose people will buy FFVII remakes regardless though.

monolith

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 07, 2015, 12:28:20 PM
Completely disagree - I loved FF7 as it was, but having Midgar brought into the 21st Century as a fully explorable open world got me so excited. The only things that bothered me about videos they've put out are that the voice acting doesn't sound too good (Barett in particular is awful) and Cloud looks like a skinny wee ponce.
Voice acting not too good? Fucking hell, did you ever play FFX?

Feels like they've got De Niro and Pacino in comparison to the abominations of FFX.

(Edit: Not saying it's great, but I was worried we'd be getting FFX quality).

Thursday

I think X's problem was more that they Square didn't have much experience directing voice actors and the localisation was quite poor. FFXII despite being very dull overall did a good job in this regard.

Obel

Quote from: monolith on December 12, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
Voice acting not too good? Fucking hell, did you ever play FFX?

Feels like they've got De Niro and Pacino in comparison to the abominations of FFX.

(Edit: Not saying it's great, but I was worried we'd be getting FFX quality).

You just reminded me of this wonderfully inspired video:  https://youtu.be/9cyx6nWdFas

NoSleep

Quote from: Thursday on December 12, 2015, 10:15:08 AM
I think X's problem was more that they Square didn't have much experience directing voice actors and the localisation was quite poor. FFXII despite being very dull overall did a good job in this regard.

FFXII has both good and some terrible acting. From the variance from actor to actor it seems they were virtually left to direct themselves (and some parts are harder than others to carry off). So some actors (who must have read the script and got a feel for the plot and the for the required weight of their words at each point in the story) work well, whilst others are clearly just reading words from a piece of paper they have just seen for the first time and that they have no understanding of. The same guy wrote the English script for FFXII who had written the script for Vagrant Story, which worked well, as it had (beautiful) comic book-style captions rather than voice acting. The same Shakespearean-like language is bound to fail with actors who don't have an understanding of the text they have to read. The worst offender was principle baddie Vayne Solidor (voice by Elijah Alexander) who seems to be literally phoning in his lines from start to finish. An early example (from his opening address) that I can remember is his delivery of the phrase "infant peace", where "infant" is an adjective, giving the meaning that this peace is in its early days and perhaps a little fragile. He manages to make it sound like it's peace for infants. Of the main characters in the group the best of the bunch are Balthier and Basch, whilst least effective was Fran with Vaan slightly better than that. Edit: Actually Balthier, Basch, Ashe & Penelo are all pretty good.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

FFXII's the one where Zaphod Beeblebrox voices a Judge, innit?

NoSleep

Urinal Cake

Having played FFX on the PS4 I'd say only Auron and Wakka are good, Lulu and Rikki are serviceable and the rest are awful.  But as the two main characters Tidus and Yuna are hideous. The forced laughter is nightmarish as well.

Consignia

If it's any consolation, the English cast did a good job of mirroring the Japanese cast in FFX. They were just as stilted and awful.

Thursday

Wakka is John Di Maggio which has the effect of making an annoying character almost be vaguely likable.

Cerys