Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

I remember coming across Kalm in one of the anthology games (couldn't be arsed with all of them) and being bitterly disappointed that it was a Large Generic Town instead of the sleepy little village you see in the original.  They should've renamed it Buzy or something

NoSleep

Quote from: Cloud on February 12, 2019, 03:48:54 PM
I remember coming across Kalm in one of the anthology games (couldn't be arsed with all of them) and being bitterly disappointed that it was a Large Generic Town instead of the sleepy little village you see in the original.  They should've renamed it Buzy or something

Tourist trade boomed after the initial release of the game.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cloud on February 12, 2019, 03:48:54 PM

In the original?  The original that came after whichever anthology game you're referring to?  State of this thread.

Twed

The original Final Fantasy VII is the first game set in the world of Final Fantasy VII. It is called "Final Fantasy VII".

thraxx

Quote from: Twed on February 12, 2019, 04:38:36 PM
The original Final Fantasy VII is the first game set in the world of Final Fantasy VII. It is called "Final Fantasy VII".

Why can't they just make a sequel and call it Final Fantasy VIII?

Cloud

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 12, 2019, 04:36:41 PM
In the original?  The original that came after whichever anthology game you're referring to?  State of this thread.

The original game.  You know.  On the Playstation??

Can't remember which the other game was though, it might make sense if it was Dirge after everyone spilled out of Midgar and all that, and perhaps more of a gripe about the in-world decision to make the town really bland as people flooded into it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cloud on February 12, 2019, 04:42:36 PM
The original game.  You know.  On the Playstation??

Can't remember which the other game was though, it might make sense if it was Dirge after everyone spilled out of Midgar and all that, and perhaps more of a gripe about the in-world decision to make the town really bland as people flooded into it.

Oh, I see.  You're talking about that shite.

And yeah, it was Dirge.  Crap representation of an iconic location in a crap spin-off of an iconic game.

Golden E. Pump

Thinking about FFVII once again, what's everyone's favourite part of the game?

I absolutely adore the attack on the Shinra building, but for me the whole of disc two is majestic with the huge materia quests, Cloud finding himself and that return to Midgar.

There really aren't any shit bits are there?

Twed

Golden E. Pump

Yeah that minigame is a bit unnecessary but the bits that precede and follow it are great.

Cerys

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on February 12, 2019, 08:05:36 PM

I think I'd have to say that moment when you first leave Midgar and the world music kicks in.  Not a 'part of the game' so much as an iconic instant.

As far as actual gameplay is concerned, I'm not sure.  The Temple of the Ancients has a special place in my heart, and if they don't fuck it up in the remake I'll be a happy Cerys.

Consignia

The default position being that they will fuck it up.

Thursday

You often feel different about old games when you go back to them, but with FFVII it's just all charming to me, even the bits that aren't very good.

And for things like the minigames, for one it's impressive that they built all these assets that only last a few minutes, but I think it does also add so much to the world that you have interactions beyond just doing battles.

St_Eddie

Going on a date with Barret.  Simply delightful.  He gives it all that but inside, he's as soft as Mr. Whippy's cream itself, so he is.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Thursday on February 12, 2019, 03:20:55 PM
Eh?

I seem to remember seeing a couple of years back that they were remaking it for Pea Ess Free or Four or X Box. Recently enough that it was discussed since I've been a member here, so 2013 ish or later. Maybe I was thinking about VIII or IX, though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Thursday on February 12, 2019, 08:50:15 PM
You often feel different about old games when you go back to them, but with FFVII it's just all charming to me, even the bits that aren't very good.

And for things like the minigames, for one it's impressive that they built all these assets that only last a few minutes, but I think it does also add so much to the world that you have interactions beyond just doing battles.
I re-played the original when it was ported to PS4, think I paid a fiver for it, and money well spent. I think a big part of it was how I suddenly felt back to 1999 (when I originally played it) and how I was sucked into this world. Not sure I could pick a favourite moment, but fairly certain it would involve Cid dishing out abuse to people while waving his limbs in the air.

Cloud

Oh gosh that's actually a really tough one.  Probably when you first get the Highwind.  You have that silly bitchslap fight at the end of a fucking massive gun barrel (classic FF7 wackiness that I hope is retained in the remake but probably won't be) then the heroic sounding version of the main theme as it surprises you with its appearance.  I'll never forget the first time I saw that, I was all "wooooooow" and swept off my feet just like Tifa was (shut up, I was 15).  Along with that you have all the twists that happened with Cloud, he's currently missing, you go and have that emotional 'finding of himself' and go explore the world map.  Exciting times.

But it's all so much fun.  Getting the ultimate weapons, maxxing everyone out, getting the golden chocobo. 

How about least favourite?  I think one for me would be that trawl through Cosmo Canyon (until that moving scene at the end), the battle of fort Condor or the underwater reactor.  Or if you put yourself through it, maxxing out the points in the battle arena - I've done that a couple of times legitimately and since then it's save states or I go mad!

St_Eddie

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 12, 2019, 10:37:14 PM
I seem to remember seeing a couple of years back that they were remaking it for Pea Ess Free or Four or X Box. Recently enough that it was discussed since I've been a member here, so 2013 ish or later. Maybe I was thinking about VIII or IX, though.

You're probably thinking of the PS3 tech demo, which recreated the opening cutscene to Final Fantasy VII in realtime.  There's never been a remake before, this is the first one.

Twed

I think it might be confusion between remake/remaster.

touchingcloth

Potentially, yes. I've got the iOS version (which would be a remaster?), but I've definitely seen something high def and lame looking.

Anyhoo, fave moments for me were bimbling about under the rotting pizza - I loved the aesthetics of Midgar slums and felt a pang of sadness when I was first booted out onto the world map. I was first properly sucked in by the train ride with the AVALADS and can still remember the lights flickering and hand holds swaying. To this day I am baffled by the fighting and material systems, and would probably really rather have preferred the game if it was something like a point and click romp through the same environments and soundtracks rather than the screen swirling you into a battle every five steps, ah well.

I remember getting fascinated with Barret's flipping out animation. I once kept the same piece of dialogue on screen for about ten minutes because he was just shaking his fat arm against his head.

Also, FMV and THREE DISCS. Total magic in 98.

St_Eddie

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 13, 2019, 06:38:11 AM
I've definitely seen something high def and lame looking.

Haven't we all.  Ships that pass in the night.

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 13, 2019, 06:38:11 AM...bimbling about under the rotting pizza

I know that one, all too well.  Fucking Domino's.

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 13, 2019, 06:38:11 AMfelt a pang of sadness when I was first booted out onto the world map.

Tell me about it!  Birth is an unrequested challenge.

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 13, 2019, 06:38:11 AMTo this day I am baffled by the fighting...

Aren't we all?

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 13, 2019, 06:38:11 AM...he was just shaking his fat arm against his head.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Cloud

The absolute horror the first time you see Aeris killed (if you avoided spoilers)

I imagine they'll add the blood this time.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cloud on February 13, 2019, 08:24:04 AM
The absolute horror the first time you see Aeris killed (if you avoided spoilers)

Aerised, mate, Cid.

Cloud

Meh, over it now *goes snowboarding*

Thursday

They did have a bit of a trek to the icicle village to be fair.

Quote from: Cloud on February 13, 2019, 08:24:04 AM

I did know it was coming and yet, I still think the moment was so powerfully delivered it was effective.

Might seem like quite a small thing now, but I think a big part of it is how every character has their own reaction to her death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrP4rPPlwc

Twed

Wow! Thanks for that. I hadn't seen most of those before. I didn't expect to be moved by FFVII 21 years after seeing this for the first time.

Tifa's reaction is my favourite one. Tender. Vincent trampling all over Aeris and them Cait Sith thrusting is probably a low point (although I do love the rest of Cait's reaction).

Cloud

I'd seen it before but Yuffie's reaction probably gets to me the most.  You'd be forgiven for normally dismissing her as a little brat and leaving her in your reserve characters (or not getting her at all) but when you play with her in your team you sometimes get these moments when you see another side to her... end of the day she's a poor kid crying her eyes out and going to Cloud for comfort.  It's a role switch for Cloud, who in the other reactions is the one being comforted.

Always got to raise an eyebrow at Barrett comforting him with his gun arm though!

Consignia

I've never seen the Cait Sith one before. Who even bother using Cait Sith anyway? I bet recording that was the first outside of play testing it had been seen.

The Culture Bunker

Cait sort-of saw it coming, didn't he? Probably a bit cut up about one of his fortunes being right.

I think I've said before, but I'll probably avoid this remake purely because I won't be able to rename all the characters, the same flaw I think almost every subsequent Final Fantasy has had. I'm not even sure why they didn't allow you to name all but two of the characters in FF8.

Twed

I hate all voiced FF games. The point is to project a little of yourself into it IMO, like reading a book. I don't want every blank filled in, and I always hate the voice acting.