Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I'm struggling to search, but was it on this site where someone linked to someone who had found the original artwork for the PSX backgrounds? I.e. the hi res versions of the files before they were downsized for tellies? I'd love to see them again if anyone knows what I'm blatherin about.

Twed

Knock knock!
Who's there?
An absolute fucking tit.

Phil_A

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2019, 07:46:45 PM
I'm struggling to search, but was it on this site where someone linked to someone who had found the original artwork for the PSX backgrounds? I.e. the hi res versions of the files before they were downsized for tellies? I'd love to see them again if anyone knows what I'm blatherin about.

Maybe it was FF9 rather than 7. I don't think any of the FF7 graphical assets were retained because no-one told Square that was a thing they should remember to do.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-lost-art-of-final-fantasy-ix-mama-robotnik-research-thread.551612/

touchingcloth

That's the thing - 9 rather than 7. Boo, but thanks anyway!

Cloud

Quote"Don't worry, we've used hideous bilinear scaling for you on the backgrounds so that it looks wrong by default, no matter how your TV would have upscaled it"

Argh fuck aka the PS Classic thing

Cerys

Quote from: thraxx on February 14, 2019, 07:46:09 PM
FFVII started my tradition of, wherever I am given the option, calling my main character COCKLORD.

I love you.

brat-sampson

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Tim Rogers has started a run of significantly more in-depth discussions regarding the language differences between the US and JP versions of FFVII and their implications on the characters and plot.

This is going to be a *very* good series, so I recommend jumping in near the start.

Cloud

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 13, 2019, 12:00:00 AM
IMPORTANT UPDATE
Tim Rogers has started a run of significantly more in-depth discussions regarding the language differences between the US and JP versions of FFVII and their implications on the characters and plot.

This is going to be a *very* good series, so I recommend jumping in near the start.

Glad I got past the way the guy presents himself in the introduction, lol
The translation work is very interesting.  It's always really noticable in anime - you can watch subs, where you get a much better translation but it only works when you're literally reading from the bottom of the screen.  Or you can watch a dub, where it flows WAY better but you lose vast amounts of nuance in translation.   There is no in between, it's pretty much impossible.

Twed

So he DOES look as annoying as he sounds.

Ten seconds and I want to punch that guy in the fucking mouth. Will be interested in the series though, regardless. Cheers.

Phil_A

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 13, 2019, 12:00:00 AM
IMPORTANT UPDATE

It's actually a renamed version of the series he's been doing for the last two years, "Found In Translation". So if you've already watched those this is the same as those except for the final video which is new, and a final final one that hasn't appeared yet.

brat-sampson

Yeah, sorry, I jumped the gun a little bit last night. But still, a continuation is not a bad thing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cloud on April 13, 2019, 01:40:32 AM
The translation work is very interesting.  It's always really noticable in anime - you can watch subs, where you get a much better translation but it only works when you're literally reading from the bottom of the screen.  Or you can watch a dub, where it flows WAY better but you lose vast amounts of nuance in translation.   There is no in between, it's pretty much impossible.

"Dilly dally, shilly shally."

Twed

Cloud

Golden E. Pump

St_Eddie

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on May 10, 2019, 12:31:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0YG3qfZ8E

Yep, still looks like shit.  None of the charm of the original is on display here.  It looks cold and sterile.

Twed

It looks as good as a high production values remake of FF7 could, but still not sure I want that. The one thing I really like about this is Aerith's movement.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2019, 12:40:39 AM
Yep, still looks like shit.  None of the charm of the original is on display here.  It looks cold and sterile.

All of the remade scenes here were cold and sterile in the original game. The whole Midgar part is, with the exception of a few scenes in 7th Heaven, Aerith's house and Corneo's Mansion.

Urinal Cake

I think the animation is fine and with some charm. Aerith's scenes needs Aerith's theme.

Glebe

Mister Six

Doesn't look cold and sterile at all - that's nonsense - but it does lack the charm of the original, and a more anime-influenced design might have been more distinctive than the "realistic" murky shadows and that.

Then again, we only see about four locations here, and three are in reactors or similar industrial settings. The true test will be the chocobo farm, Kalm et al.

Are they going to take out all the wacky comedy characters and daft bits where you drag up, to accommodate this gloomier look? I hope not!

Urinal Cake

They seem to have kept Barrett as a Blaxploitation trope (although I know that changes later on) so we live in hope!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on May 10, 2019, 01:06:57 AM
Doesn't look cold and sterile at all - that's nonsense...

I don't know how else to phrase it.  It's got the look of a indie game on Steam Greenlight that's been made in Unity.  Now obviously the production values are far and beyond that level but there's a sheen to it that reminds me of those games, something about how the light reflects off the surfaces.  It lacks any kind of soul or unique identity.  It's got an identikit aesthetic, if that makes sense?  I'm still not expressing myself very well here but my ultimate point is this; I hate the aesthetics of this remake.  It's as simple as that.  I also hate that they've ditched the turn based combat.

#NotMyFFVII

Sin Agog

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2019, 01:13:50 AM
I don't know how else to phrase it.  It's got the look of a indie game on Steam Greenlight that's been made in Unity.  Now obviously the production values are far and beyond that level but there's a sheen to it that reminds me of those games, something about how the light reflects off the surfaces.  It lacks any kind of soul or unique identity.  It's got an identikit aesthetic, if that makes sense?  I'm still not expressing myself very well here but my ultimate point is this; I hate the aesthetics of this remake.  It's as simple as that.  I also hate that they've ditched the turn based combat.

#NotMyFFVII

Lack of texture you got from all the hand-painted backdrops, innit?  Just buckets full of gunmetal grey.  Like replacing Herbie the Love Bug with a Maserati.

Mister Six

They were rendered, not painted, weren't they?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on May 10, 2019, 01:25:19 AM
They were rendered, not painted, weren't they?

Aye, pre-rendered to be exact.  Sin Agog's Herbie/Maserati comparison still stands though, I feel.

Mister Six

Oh yeah, I was just splitting hairs.

I know what you mean about all the metal and that. It's definitely a deeply bland, generic aesthetic so far. But it's also mostly the Midgar reactor, which was always quite bland and generic. Not that I have any hopes, but it's the other locations that will really indicate how the game will look.

Cerys

The only problem I have with that vid is that fact that Aeris' voice means I'm going to be looking forward to her getting impaled.  Although maybe I'll acclimatise to it.  We can but hope.

St_Eddie

Perhaps the one thing that I'm looking forward to in this remake is the hearing the returning voice actor who voiced Red XIII in Advent Children (presuming that they do reuse that same actor).  Red XIII only got one line in the movie (a crime in and of itself) but the voice was perfect.  He sounded exactly how I'd always imagined that he would.  I remember having a geeky conversation with a friend way back when.  He asked what I imagined Red XIII's voice would sound like.  I replied; "young and naive but also posh and eloquent".  Years later, when I heard that single line in Advent Children, I was elated to hear that somebody over at Square Enix agreed with my take.

I have fond memories of introducing that same friend to Final Fantasy VII.  We played through it together, over the course of a summer month.  Whenever Red XIII came on screen, we'd say "ohhhh, Red XIII" (as in 'what are you like').  The highlight came when Red XIII attempted to disguise himself as a sailor.  "Ohhhh, Red XIII".