Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

What if I were to tell you all that FF7 is bollocks.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on May 31, 2019, 09:01:46 PM
What if I were to tell you all that FF7 is bollocks.

I don't know.  Do you think that's the sort of thing that you might say?

popcorn

Can you be outraged please.

Thursday

It isn't bollocks though, it's a clearly a video game. The quality is another matter, but you've made yourself look very silly.

bgmnts

Genuinely not arsed about this remake because I like creativity and new ideas but they have remastered FFIC and VII and put them on xbox one so that's lovely.

Cerys

So - next March, apparently!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on June 11, 2019, 12:24:35 AM
So - next March, apparently!

I wonder whether it will be possible to complete the remake without magic or summons and if so, whether there will be an achievement for doing so.

Golden E. Pump

Well they've absolutely nailed it from what they've just shown at E3. Shut up and take all of my money.

peanutbutter

Was there a single post-Midgar clip in that trailer?

St_Eddie

Graphically, it looks a lot better than it did in the last trailer.  In fact, it looks rather lovely.  However, the whole thing seemed completely obsessed with showcasing the graphical capabilities of the game engine, right down to that ridiculous shot focusing on Tifa's glass of water - no film director would ever shoot a prolonged shot like that, in that context, simply to show how the water moves in the glass.  Keep that shit for tech demos, not narrative based cutscenes.  It kinda informs me of where Square Enix's priorities lie with this remake; graphical showboating.  The last time I saw them pull that kind of bullshit was with Final Fantasy XIII.  Oh, dear.  Also; I still hate the new battle system.  Turn based or get the fuck out.

Oh, and what a surprise; DLC pre-order bonuses.  Multiple pre-order editions.  Exclusive content.  Get t'fuck.

Other than that, it looks great!

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 11, 2019, 02:44:16 AM
Was there a single post-Midgar clip in that trailer?

No.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Part 1 of the game is comprised entirely of Midgar and it ends with the group walking into the fields outside, with a message reading 'To be continued in Part 2 (which will be a full priced game again, suckers)'.

Thursday

I was excited by the EGGS & CHIPS sign in Tifa's bar though.

Thursday

Fry

What does that, loads of stuff is cut or there are going to be millions of parts to this? If it's the latter doesn't it make far more likely they'll sack the whole thing off once the hype has died down and part 5 has sold a tenth of what part 1 did?

It looks alright, good enough I suppose. I just can't get with how 'cool' everyone looks. I want Barret to be a big fat bloke who waves his arms around like a shit marionette whenever he gets pissy at Cloud.

Thursday

They've talked about "expanding Midgar" a lot... in some ways it makes sense, but I'm worried everything else will get short shrift now. I think people forget just how much there is to that game... Including Square Enix

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2019, 02:57:10 AMAlso; I still hate the new battle system.  Turn based or get the fuck out.
Besides the boring characters (playing as some sulky Prince, wonderful) this is what put me off FFXV - just don't like real time fighting. If I wanted an action game, I'd buy one - the attraction of those older FF games is that I could take my time in the battles.

Consignia

If they really are expanding Midgar, they've really not demonstrated it in anything they've really not shown yet, bar more Sephiroth. Guess I've just been a bit underwhelmed by nearly everything they've shown on it so far.

Urinal Cake

They said they've got two Blu-ray discs worth of content. It makes sense if you've got Midgard that you can cram more content in. I presume a lot of questy stuff in the slums, some flashback stuff and things like Don Corleone padded out.

I mean by the length of the scorpion tank boss battle and all the new phases, I think they realise they need to make the first installment great and full length to get people invested again.

I think it looks great so far.

Cloud

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 11, 2019, 02:31:16 AM
Well they've absolutely nailed it from what they've just shown at E3. Shut up and take all of my money.

But this is CaB, we're supposed to all hate everything and be massively pessimistic and cynical?

Seriously I agree with this, it looks like they've recreated areas very faithfully and I like what I saw of battling as well, with a nice compromise between modern slashing and oldschool strategy. Extremely hyped for this.

Thursday

Yeah to be honest, I feel like I should be more cynical, there's causes for concern, but I'm really excited for this, the trailer manages to stir things up in me.

touchingcloth

Are they good graphics in that trailer? Not one moment of it filled me with 5% of what I felt and still feel when seeing something like this:

or this:

or this:

bgmnts

That's because it's a remake and you can't revisit your first time doing or seeing something can you?

Twed

I don't think that was the point. touchingcloth is saying that the artistry and design and imagination in the PSX screenshots are far more moving. I agree. The new trailer does look a bit bland. The zoom-out of Midgar is pretty good, but not very striking and still pretty similar to the PSX one (in which more parts feel necessary and not just filler). The 7th Heaven interior looked bollocks, like stock assets made externally.

bgmnts

Yeah but my point is he is probably biased? A child may well look at this remake having no knowledge of FF VII and be just as blown away.

I'm all in and I'll be an utter raging nightmare when this comes out and any cunt has a go.

bgmnts

It can't be much worse than the original to be fair.

Cloud

Just watched the full 20 minute presentation, featuring also a full fight with that scorpion boss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvzzivkK28

Personally, I felt exactly the same sense of wonder watching most of that!  Midgar is like 10x as big now but yeah looks epic.  Not surprised the audience was all squealing like 1d fangirls

Here's the thing, it's the same thing but realistic style graphics, as expected on a modern game.  So sure, you don't get the painted backgrounds or deformed character models where so much is left to your imagination (including the rest of the houses, I mean most of the FF7 towns had like half a dozen - or the world itself, vast amounts of nothing with a few towns and Midgar).  I think of 90s era games (and earlier) as like a book - you can't possibly recreate a book, they're special in their own right (and so will the PSX version always be).  This is like "the film adaptation of a book"... those can be anywhere between shit and awesome but they can never replace the book, it's the same here, but I still am optimistic based on what's been shown that it could be towards the awesome side of the spectrum.

If it means anything, I thought the Harry Potter movies were a perfect adaptation of what I had in my mind, but like any movie, supplementary to and not a replacement of the original content.

Thursday

Amen mates, great posts. I'm wistful.

Thursday

I agree with Cloud (lol)

I think the pre-rendered visual of the time create something that can't be recreated, and I also think it's not going to be the same playing the same game in my 30's as it was when I was 12/13. I can see the arguments for the superior artistry over visual fidelity of the time. But looking at that trailer, I really think they've done a very good job at capturing the same sort of feel and mood as could be expected from using the graphic style they are.

Like I don't want say some of people's concerns aren't fair or valid, but I also think people are going in with an unreasonable attitude, where they're just going to dismiss it on principle, because it's a modern AAA game and not using an old turn based system.

Twed

It's more that it looks like any modern AAA game. Extremely competent, but not special. It's not an old versus new thing, I still see ZX Spectrum games that I didn't see during the time that floor me today, it's just a case of whether it is enchanting. This is entirely within the realm of subjectivity now, but please do remember that my subjectivity trends towards objective, absolute truth and yours is wretched, wrong, forbidden.