Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I do the faux arrogance schtick to hide the fact that I am an empty vessel incredible lover

Twed

Urinal Cake

A couple years ago people would've been happy with a straight remake. Either using the pre-rendered backgrounds with better models or full 3D. 

But I'm glad that Squeenix realises that coasting by isn't going to cut it after all their shitfuckery and putting their money and heart into this thing.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 09:24:41 PM
I don't think that was the point. touchingcloth is saying that the artistry and design and imagination in the PSX screenshots are far more moving. I agree. The new trailer does look a bit bland. The zoom-out of Midgar is pretty good, but not very striking and still pretty similar to the PSX one (in which more parts feel necessary and not just filler). The 7th Heaven interior looked bollocks, like stock assets made externally.

Amen. Stock assets made externally is exactly what I was thinking.

Golden E. Pump

I don't really see the 'it's a modern game that doesn't make me feel the same way' argument.

If it made you feel the same way, it wouldn't be a remake. What you're feeling there is nostalgia. A new game cannot do that, unless it was just an exact replica of the game with absolutely nothing changed which would be a monumental waste of time and money. This is a modern game because it's being released in 2020 and therefore is obviously going to take advantage of the insane progression of technology that has been achieved since 1997. To not do so would be one of the stupidest decisions ever made by any company in the history of video games when they have the budget to do so.

The artwork was down to the technical limitations of the time and our love of it is a side effect of our love for the game as far as I'm concerned. Nobody states that the reason FFVII is so good is because it had weird sprites and good looking pre-rendered backgrounds.The original is so fondly remembered because of its story, characters and its accessible-yet-extensive tactical system. These are all going to be present in this game. The combat looks better than the original, because you have the choice of playing it as an action-orientated slasher, if that's your bag, or as a tactical RPG using spells, items and materia combos; leaning on whichever style you prefer. The characters we know and love are also there and will set it apart from being just another 'generic' AAA title.

Speaking of which, I also don't buy this 'modern games are rubbish' thing. Have you not played The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Skyrim, Uncharted or GTA5, to name but a few? Now imagine these games had access to the lore, characters and story of one of the greatest games of all time? Certainly does not sound like a bum deal to me! Nothing indicates that they aren't being faithful to the plot or have anything but love for these aspects of the game.

If you want turn based combat and 90s graphics, the good news is that the game is out already for you and is available on the PSStore for about a tenner. That's your prerogative, and I can understand some people feeling that way. But unfortunately, that's your problem and not the game's. It could literally be bundled with 80g of cocaine, suck your cock through the joypad when loaded onto the PS4 and smell like the hair of God herself when you opened the packaging, and you're not going to like it.

Twed

I wish I could explain how some of you are misunderstanding "makes me feel the same way". Why are you conflating this with memory? Not to pick on you Golden E. Pump, but you have pulled most of your post out of thin air.

There is lots of art, old and new, that moves me in the same way that the original FF7 did and the remake doesn't. To make this as clear as possible, that includes 'remakes' (cover versions of songs I loved, reinterpretations of art).

Technical limitations don't enter into it. Being an exact replica has nothing to do with it. AAA game hatred isn't relevant here, and the accusation of such is a mistake on your part. I said it looks like any modern AAA game, i.e. the same production values without particularly standing out as special. This isn't a slight on AAA games as a concept, it's me saying it doesn't particularly stand out from the pack in term of artistry.

You're projecting, or strawman-ing or something.

Twed

One of these things is worse, and it's not because of modern techniques.

Twed

Not the original, but stirring/evocative/excellent to me:

It's not about being exactly the original, or being new, or being a AAA game.

St_Eddie

I would just like to say that I have zero issues with people who are highly anticipating the Final Fantasy VII remake and think that it looks fantastic.  I'm not going to try to dismiss those views by way of circumnavigating them with counter-arguments, to try and demonstrate how they're somehow 'wrong' or 'blinded' for being hyped and liking something they like.  However, it's a two way street.  So a little bit of respect for differing opinions, for those of us who don't think that the remake is capturing the charm of the original, wouldn't go amiss in return.  You don't know why I feel the way I feel better than I do myself, just as I don't know why you feel the way you do better than yourself.

As Twed said, this isn't about nostalgia and memories.  It's about personal subjective taste, so a little bit of respect for that would be greatly appreciated.  Ta.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 12, 2019, 01:16:24 AM
On that note, I would just like to say that I have zero issues with people who are highly anticipating the Final Fantasy VII remake and think that it looks fantastic.
Indeed. I think in many ways it looks great, I am a lot more excited for it now I've seen previews. It's just showing me no signs that I'll fall in love with it.

Golden E. Pump

Firstly, I did not mean for my post to sound so dismissive of your opinions. Been a long day.

Secondly, please just get on board the hype train.

Twed

Can't, it (the train) doesn't look as good as in the original (train)

St_Eddie

EDIT: Removed for reasons of taste and decency.

St_Eddie

I'm sorry.  I made an absolutely horrendous analogy above and thought better of it.

Cerys

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 12, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

But - there's no getting off this train he's on!

Thursday

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 12, 2019, 01:48:12 AM
Firstly, I did not mean for my post to sound so dismissive of your opinions. Been a long day.

There aint no gettin offa this train we on

Thursday

Hmm https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1138538061686378496

Just asked Yoshinori Kitase how many games are going to be in the Final Fantasy VII remake - he said he can't say yet "because we don't know ourselves.

As cynical and cash-grabbing as this all is... okay... fine. If they're going to do it all properly, I'll allow it.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmv9vpoqp0

Sterling's take on the demo footage. Sums it up perfect.

Twed

The character models are really good. Cloud looks way too much like a pretty emo boy though. 7th Heaven looks like it's part of Gone Home, rubbish.

Cloud

I didn't intend the post about the old Vs new, books Vs films analogy to come across as disrespectful or dismissive, sorry if it did - just really that it's one possible reason of many, and one way of thinking that could allow for enjoyment of both. Or not... YMMV

Nor that modern games are shit - there's some great stuff out there. Just that a remake of an old game for some people who liked it for specific reasons, could possibly disappoint if seen as a replacement.  I have my doubts that we'll see Cait Sith bodding about on the giant Moogle (reckon they'll just retcon that) for example as it'll just look ridiculous against the realistic graphics... hence also not being in Advent Children... some might be bitterly disappointed if that's the case though... some may even be annoyed if they don't see him doing his weird little dance when a certain sad event happens :)

I think there's a refreshing balance of positive and negative to be honest... I mean it does get a bit tedious in other threads when it's all about lambasting something and you feel like a tiny minority and wrongun with bad opinions for liking it, but it's not so bad in here.

Twed

Yep, it's great. I just don't want to be misunderstood - the discussion itself is good stuff. I love tearing stuff apart and appreciating it at the same time. It's good for the soul, but it can accidentally offend people especially when tone is lost through text.

The big missing factor here is the music. What on earth is that going to sound like? I am going to be disappointed with well-produced orchestral stuff. I hate that. Most orchestral soundtracks in games that other people rate just sound like big blurs to me, all the same. Somebody with an idea of what classic music is, but forgetting to put expression and soul in there. Fingers crossed for something less overblown, but looking at the overall style I'm expecting a lot of orchestra.

Cloud

I don't have my hopes up music wise as in my eyes (subjective as ever) Uematsu was a genius and FF music hasn't quite been as exciting since he left.   But like the game itself, could be shit, could be brilliant, ultimately "we'll see".  I was fairly neutral towards the versions of old tunes that popped up during the trailers.

Space ghost

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2019, 02:48:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmv9vpoqp0

Sterling's take on the demo footage. Sums it up perfect.
Can't listen to his voice for longer than a few seconds. He talks like an edgy fourteen year old atheist reading the bible aloud.

"Oh well that's well good isn't it"

Twed

Quote from: Space ghost on June 12, 2019, 04:18:11 PM
Can't listen to his voice for longer than a few seconds. He talks like an edgy fourteen year old atheist reading the bible aloud.
100% with you on this one. Most English YouTubers should not be allowed mouths.

bgmnts

Quote from: Space ghost on June 12, 2019, 04:18:11 PM

"Oh well that's well good isn't it"

I mean yeah most English youtubers sound emulate American teenagers but that's the nature of the current world innit.

gabrielconroy

I actually Laughed Out Loud at the bit about eggs and chips. Something funny about the idea of Square going to massive expense doing a remake in earnest and making the majority of the game play and characters and moves eggs & chips.

Anyway, this is obviously not going to be a patch on the original. Obviously!

The music won't be anywhere near as good, for the reasons already given (Uematsu a genuine artist with a great ear for melody and tone and atmosphere, most modern game composers cramming stuff in for the sake of it). And the visuals will probably suffer from the same tyranny of choice and be far too busy.

But I'll probably still play it because it's FFVII

bgmnts

Also there will no doubt be DLC/Season Passes/Delux Editions/Pre-Order Bonuses and all that abysmal greedy corporate shiiiiiite that didn't plague the industry when it was first released. Magical.

The Culture Bunker

I do agree with the Sterling chap re the combat and it all being a bit too busy.

Am quite happy that FF8 is getting remastered, though.

Twed

Remastered straight into a slurry pit, hopefully

Cloud

I'm already trying to decide how far to bend over.... Deluxe Edition (About £70 I believe) or First Class (about £120).... come on I set my username to Cloud (in numerous places) and have played the original more times than I can count, it would be rude not to