Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2019, 09:39:40 PM
Also there will no doubt be DLC/Season Passes/Delux Editions/Pre-Order Bonuses and all that abysmal greedy corporate shiiiiiite that didn't plague the industry when it was first released. Magical.

Somebody didn't pay attention to the end of the E3 trailer...

Final Fantasy VII Remake Deluxe Edition

* Artbook
* Mini-Soundtrack
* Steelbook
* Cactuar Summon Materia DLC
* Carbuncle Summon Materia DLC

Final Fantasy VII Remake 1st Class Edition

* Play Arts Kai Cloud Strife & Hardy Daytona
* Artbook
* Mini-Soundtrack
* Steelbook
* Cactuar Summon Materia DLC
* Carbuncle Summon Materia DLC
* Chocobo Chick Summon Materia DLC (pre-order exclusive)

As you say; "magical".

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 12, 2019, 09:49:57 PM
Am quite happy that FF8 is getting remastered, though.

Coo.  I look forward to replaying it with a load of cheap arse filters applied.  State of the art remastering that.

Quote from: Cloud on June 12, 2019, 10:26:53 PM
I'm already trying to decide how far to bend over.... Deluxe Edition (About £70 I believe) or First Class (about £120).... come on I set my username to Cloud (in numerous places) and have played the original more times than I can count, it would be rude not to

I'd rather you chose not to contribute to an increasing problem within the industry, spoiling the hobby for the rest of us in the process, quite frankly.  Quit supporting anti-consumer practices.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2019, 09:39:40 PM
Also there will no doubt be DLC/Season Passes/Delux Editions/Pre-Order Bonuses and all that abysmal greedy corporate shiiiiiite that didn't plague the industry when it was first released. Magical.
I think even Square realises DLC will be a hard sell with episodic content. The things I can see are maybe some Advent Children content, weapons/summons from other games etc.

Consignia

Fucking hell, you pay for summons? They're a hair off making them pay for gachas. Roll a 10 summon materia pop this weekend for a 0.004% chance of Shiva.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Consignia on June 12, 2019, 11:05:39 PM
Fucking hell, you pay for summons? They're a hair off making them pay for gachas. Roll a 10 summon materia pop this weekend for a 0.004% chance of Shiva.

If people keep on supporting these kind of things, then that's the direction we're heading in.  It's like willingly paying somebody to rape you up the arse and then asking for more, as you slowly die from a perforated colon and internal bleeding.

peanutbutter

chocobo chick is choco mog?

Urinal Cake

I forgot about Crisis Core etc. Seems like Square is probably saving that for DLC. I mean they could've remastered that and put it out there so people get hyped.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 12, 2019, 11:20:45 PM
If people keep on supporting these kind of things, then that's the direction we're heading in.  It's like willingly paying somebody to rape you up the arse and then asking for more, as you slowly die from a perforated colon and internal bleeding.

Is there no one left from the 1 Gil for a flower days of FFVII? Has the whole thing really become such a heaving Shin-Ra industry? It's folded in on itself, that's what it's done.

gabrielconroy

I mean, come on lads. This is your precious orchid. What gave you your corridors and fancy mouse mats and all that. Are you really going to throw a load of paint over it and sell it again? Come on now.

St_Eddie

I do declare, this Square Enix has surely put worth a dizzying array of fireworks before our very eyes.  Me, oh my.  Heavens above.  Goodness gracious me.  Look how the sky lights up with explosions of delight.  Such sights, the world has never seen.  Quite honestly, it's enough to make a boy in frilly stockings blush.  I simply must declare my love before the day is through.

St_Eddie

On second thoughts, I should probably save my devoted love for somebody with more substance.  Yes, yes, indeed.  I now realise that I was overcome with shallow admiration.  Vanity hath betrayed me once again.  Square Enix, the wedding is off!  Now please do pick up your lacy knickers from upon my floor and kindly fuck right off.

Cerys

Quote from: Cloud on June 12, 2019, 04:06:58 PM
I don't have my hopes up music wise as in my eyes (subjective as ever) Uematsu was a genius and FF music hasn't quite been as exciting since he left.

He's back on board for this, though, isn't he?  Or did I dream it?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on June 13, 2019, 01:11:47 AM
He's back on board for this, though, isn't he?  Or did I dream it?

No, you didn't dream it...

Quote from: classic fmSince the first video game was released in 1987, Final Fantasy has been a favourite among gamers – and a huge part of the franchise's cult status can be attributed to its glorious soundtrack, composed by Nobuo Uematsu.

Now, it has been confirmed that Uematsu will return to score the newest installation in the franchise: Final Fantasy VII Remake, which is a remake of the 1997 PlayStation game Final Fantasy VII.

The news was confirmed by producer Yoshinori Kitase at a Final Fantasy event in Japan:

"Currently, I'm in the process of working on Final Fantasy VII Remake but I haven't directly worked with Uematsu-san since Final Fantasy X. So, when I first went to ask Uematsu-san to come work on the music for the remake, I thought he would give me the cold shoulder since he had already left Square Enix and found success."

A remake was initially attempted in the early 2000s – but despite scoring the original Final Fantasy VII, Uematsu's name was absent from the originally announced team. However, it was confirmed in May 2018 that the famed composer will definitely return to score the new remake.

It remains to be seen whether he'll solely be composing the score or whether it will be a collaborative effort, mind.

Laffin at:

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 12, 2019, 10:56:12 PM
I'd rather you chose not to contribute to an increasing problem within the industry, spoiling the hobby for the rest of us in the process, quite frankly.  Quit supporting anti-consumer practices.

I don't mean to have a go but how dare you say this to anyone?

Who do you think you are?

I'm laughing but about 50% in exasperation.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 13, 2019, 05:49:41 AM
Who do you think you are?

A person who is tired of people contributing to anti-consumer practices within the industry.  It affects all gamers and as long as people keep on doing it, then it's only going to get worse from here on out.  One votes with their wallet and if people are willingly paying for pre-order bonuses and exclusive DLC content, then companies are going to keep on pushing that envelope further and further.  If you want me to sit back and be quiet, whilst people continue to encourage anti-consumer practices that spoil things for the rest of us, then I'm sorry but that's not going to happen.

It's important to me to stand up for what I believe in.  I will never lower myself into insulting someone for buying pre-order DLC but what I will do, is make my feelings on the matter clear, in the hope that they might consider the consequences of their actions.  If I sit idly by, saying nothing, then I'll be as culpable as those who buy into exclusive pre-order content when things become truly egregious.  Once we reach that point, there's no turning back.  To pay companies to screw over their customers is not something which I can condone, not when the ramifications of doing so are so far reaching and wide.

Fry

I'm fine with it as long has he lets me have a go playing with his little plastic cloud. I'm gonna make it fight a slinky and pretend it's one of those world map encounters they clearly half arsed

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 13, 2019, 02:04:19 PM
A person who is tired of people contributing to anti-consumer practices within the industry.  It affects all gamers and as long as people keep on doing it, then it's only going to get worse from here on out.  One votes with their wallet and if people are willingly paying for pre-order bonuses and exclusive DLC content, then companies are going to keep on pushing that envelope further and further.  If you want me to sit back and be quiet, whilst people continue to encourage anti-consumer practices that spoil things for the rest of us, then I'm sorry but that's not going to happen.

It's important to me to stand up for what I believe in.  I will never lower myself into insulting someone for buying pre-order DLC but what I will do, is make my feelings on the matter clear, in the hope that they might consider the consequences of their actions.  If I sit idly by, saying nothing, then I'll be as culpable as those who buy into exclusive pre-order content when things become truly egregious.  Once we reach that point, there's no turning back.  To pay companies to screw over their customers is not something which I can condone, not when the ramifications of doing so are so far reaching and wide.

I don't know how to deal with this level of sincerity regarding this specific issue.

All the best.

St_Eddie

popcorn

I don't buy the box of shit editions myself.

Urinal Cake

I think you've got some point s St Eddie but if we were in 1997 you would probably be complaining that:
1. Square betrayed Nintendo for Sony Cash
2. Square has become too Hollywood because of it's reliance of FMVs to push the story
3. That Square could've used N64 cartridges but Square used CDs because they were cheaper to manufacture.
4. Why 3D?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 13, 2019, 10:40:30 PM
I think you've got some point s St Eddie but if we were in 1997 you would probably be complaining that:
1. Square betrayed Nintendo for Sony Cash
2. Square has become too Hollywood because of it's reliance of FMVs to push the story
3. That Square could've used N64 cartridges but Square used CDs because they were cheaper to manufacture.
4. Why 3D?

I'll have you know that only one of those accusations is true.

It's fine if people would care to refute me; I welcome it.  However, actually put forth counter-arguments, as opposed to attacking my character.  You're not helping me to sway my opinion in the opposite direction here.  If you can't put forth a coherent counter-argument, then I'll have to presume that I'm correct and you're wrong.  You wouldn't want me to presume that, surely?

Take me down.  Tell me exactly why I am wrong.  I'm absolutely open to discussion and having my mind swayed.  Come at me, I beg of you.  Let's not resort to character assignation.  I would have hoped that we're above such dirty tactics.  In fact, I know that you're better than that, so please; tell me why I'm wrong.

Urinal Cake

I am not assassinating your character. Your argument seems to me why can't Square just make the FFVII remake 'better.' But, historically FFVII wasn't about perfecting a long-standing formula but innovating and changing the genre. This was as shown by my previous post as well as a few narrative things like making the protagonist an unreliable narrator. Now those things have become jrpg cliches in of themselves.
If Square was to just make a better looking FFVII it would go against the (money-making) innovative ethos of the original game.

In short the original FFVII was supposed to be a sell-out amongst traditionalists but it was grand. Have some faith that Square will not fuck this up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 14, 2019, 01:13:31 AM
In short the original FFVII was supposed to be a sell-out amongst traditionalists but it was grand. Have some faith that Square will not fuck this up.

Nothing Square Enix does these days inspires faith within me that they won't fuck this up, from my perspective at least.  I think that the vast majority will enjoy the remake and that's cool.  I can only speak to my individual taste and pretty much everything that we've seen of this remake so far leaves me cold.

madhair60

I'm not interested in a FFVII remake in the slightest, personally. I fail to see why I wouldn't just play the original again, given how widely available and manifestly excellent it is.

I feel much the same way about the upcoming Link's Awakening remake on Switch. LA is one of my favourite games of all time, so when I want to play LA, I'll... just play the original.

(Count me as someone in favour of the FFVII project or whatever it was called - Advent Children was nonsense but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd rather see a FFVII-2 than a remake)

Mister Six

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 12, 2019, 11:24:51 PM
chocobo chick is choco mog?

I get the impression it's a unique summon that's not from the original FFVII, just like Carbuncle and Cactuar weren't.

TBH as pre-order shite goes, I don't mind this particular form at all. Mostly just physical junk that only a mad completist would want anyway (no offence, Cloud), and two or three bits of digital gubbins that aren't even related to the original FFVII and aren't essential (or even important) to playing the game. If this bullshit is going to happen, it might as well be this rather than entire walled-off chunks of story or something (which has fallen out of fashion anyway, hasn't it? Most of the time when I see pre-order bonuses these days, it's some shitty overpowered weapons and unique skins rather than anything meaningful).

Twed

Just think of the artistic side of the company as a separate entity. They are probably at odds with the DLC stuff too. Just imagine being an artist and trying to convince management that you actually shouldn't release a load of rip-off stuff that millions of xenials will 100% definitely pay out of the arse for. It's just not possible. Gotta role with the inevitability of it all and accept that it won't be representative of the larger work.

Thursday

Aye, it's just one of those things where I don't like it, I generally wouldn't pay extra for "deluxe" versions that have this kind of bonus content, but it's not the worst example of it, and not a battle I think is worth getting up in arms over.

peanutbutter

Provided it's not too obstructive I usually view it as people who are foolish with their money subsidising my experience.

Pretty much anything I do that's relatively cheap seems to follow that format these days, there'll be someone else paying twenty pound for a glass of wine that offsets my six pound cinema ticket, that kind of deal

I wonder how many companies factor in the long term implications of some of this stuff. I assume Rockstar do? Keeping DLC unobstructive means they can sell GTA5 a decade from now with minimal effort on their end. Meanwhile games that fixate on live services are entirely dependent on maintaining those services and maintaining an audience

Consignia

I'm still rather disappointed they put summon materia behind DLC. It was one most fun things in the original. Sure not all of them, probably, and they are more than likely throw away. But it's something that was a completely collectible in the original, but is now pay-gated away.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Consignia on June 14, 2019, 06:35:50 PM
I'm still rather disappointed they put summon materia behind DLC. It was one most fun things in the original. Sure not all of them, probably, and they are more than likely throw away. But it's something that was a completely collectible in the original, but is now pay-gated away.
It's two summon that were not in the original game and (possibly) one that was but was easily the worst summon in the game.

Gonna stick me neck out and say the remake gonna be better than the original