Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:11:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Consignia on June 14, 2019, 06:35:50 PM
I'm still rather disappointed they put summon materia behind DLC. It was one most fun things in the original. Sure not all of them, probably, and they are more than likely throw away. But it's something that was a completely collectible in the original, but is now pay-gated away.

As I said, Cactuar and Carbuncle weren't in FFVII and I'll bet this Baby Chocobo or whatever it is is something we haven't seen in FFVII either.

Summons are just funny animations that play before an RNG decides how much health to take off a baddie anyway. Not having access to three of them that have been bolted onto the game is hardly a worst-case scenario. I'm sure some exec suggested cordoning off Yuffie or Vincent, or some of the Golden Chocobo. That WOULD have been taking the piss.

Consignia

I'm not saying a game ruining experience, I was just saying one of the fun things in the original was collecting all the summons and seeing their animations as a reward. And there's potentially more DLC summons that they are hiding away, those are just the pre-orders.

St_Eddie

For me, it's not a case of 'oh well, it could have been worse', as some are saying.  It's the principle of the thing.  They've created the art assets and programmed them into the game and then locked off those summons, months ahead of the game's release and are demanding more money from their customers, should they want to have the full experience. 

I remember when it was a big deal for companies to lock off content ahead of a game's release.  I remember the controversy.  However, it's became so standardised now, that people are saying 'oh well, it could have been worse'.  It's that very attitude which leads to things becoming worse.  What was once a controversy becomes the standard, so the companies will push the envelope further and that will then become a controversy.  The cycle continues anew. 

Eventually, somewhere down the line, you realise that we've gotten to a point where your initial purchase only covers the game engine itself and it's £5 for a single level and £2 for each additional character.  Then you add the amount up in your head for how much the whole experience would cost and it ends up being something crazy like £250.  What was once an entire experience for £50, has now increased to £250.  That's a vision for where we're heading, which is why it's so important to nip this kind of thing in the bud by voting with our wallets now, whilst we still can.  That's why it's so important that we don't just say 'oh well, it could have been worse'.

I wish they were would do more DLC that is already finished and on the disc.

Thursday

I hope there's microtransactions and random loot-boxes.

Twed

I hope it is a match-3 game.

Thursday

Always online match-3 game as a service.

bgmnts

I hope Square Enix underpay all the staff and crunch the fuck out this game's development, leading to mass suicides.

Thursday

It should also only be available through Square's new streaming service.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 14, 2019, 08:30:00 PM
Eventually, somewhere down the line, you realise that we've gotten to a point where your initial purchase only covers the game engine itself and it's £5 for a single level and £2 for each additional character.  Then you add the amount up in your head for how much the whole experience would cost and it ends up being something crazy like £250.  What was once an entire experience for £50, has now increased to £250.  That's a vision for where we're heading, which is why it's so important to nip this kind of thing in the bud by voting with our wallets now, whilst we still can.  That's why it's so important that we don't just say 'oh well, it could have been worse'.

But it's going in the other direction, or seems to be, to me. Instead of walling off a character or subplot or missions and making them DLC (as happened with early Dragon Age, Batman: Arkham City, probably some other stuff, I dunno), they're just providing, essentially, in-game trinkets and real-world junk (which is its own ethical Issue, but let's not get distracted). That's what RDR2 did, it's what Fallout 4 did and it's apparently what's happening here. A bit of easy extra content is made for the DLC (as I said, none of the DLC summons appear to be from FFVII so it's not been extracted from the adaptation) and thrown out as a bonus.

Yeah it's a bit crass and cynical, but I don't get the impression that we're careening towards the dystopia you envision.

Microtransactions are an issue, but a separate one, and not really applicable here as far as I can see.

Thursday

Yeah I remember Mass Effect 3 charging for a whole character who had unique missions and dialogues even though the content was all on the disc. I don't see that kind of thing happening now, because it was so heavily criticised.

Urinal Cake

It'd be great if there was no microtransactions, that the game was not episodic and Tifa had her og breasts but it's not going to happen.

I assume prequel and sequel content will be DLC.

madhair60

Sorry but did Eddie just say that buying a season pass is like getting raped up the arse until you bleed?

madhair60

I have to say, gamers are weird, man. We should go back to gaming being weird to do.

bgmnts

Gamers are weird in the sense that they are okay with being absolutely rinsed by scummy business practices. The same people who will lay into your Starbucks and Walmart will happily defend or ignore your EAs and Ubisofts. Mental people.

madhair60

no they're weird in the sense that they're debased lunatics who whinge like fuck about business practices like they know anything and we won't all be in the cold ground soon

St_Eddie

What is point pro-consumer?  What is point life?  What is point?

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on June 15, 2019, 01:14:45 AM
no they're weird in the sense that they're debased lunatics who whinge like fuck about business practices like they know anything and we won't all be in the cold ground soon

Ah.

buntyman

I've just got back into playing FFVII for the first time since it first came out. I haven't played any of the others apart from a brief dalliance with FFVIII which I decided early on had some annoyances that I couldn't be bothered pereservering with. Anyway, the hype about the remake prompted me to puck up one of those cheap PS1 classics and give it another bash. As I'm sure I'll never play it again I thought I'd go through it with an online walkthrough to make sure I'm not missing anything this time. I'm surprised how little I remember of it/paid attention to the first time or perhaps I just whizzed through it cutting out big chunks of it. I'm about 10 hours in now and just encountered the chocobos. As following the guide makes you very powerful, the battles are all easy and it's really just watching a story with occasional breaks to grind out a worthwhile steal. It's good though and the instant save feature on the mini console means that you don't have to worry about fucking up on a very rare encounter. I quite like the crappy graphics too, probably more than how the remake looks.

Cloud

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 12, 2019, 10:56:12 PMI'd rather you chose not to contribute to an increasing problem within the industry, spoiling the hobby for the rest of us in the process, quite frankly.  Quit supporting anti-consumer practices.

With respect, I'll do what the hell I want with my money.  This is the same bullshit as people who get on your case for buying an Apple product or heck... buying a game that they don't personally enjoy and think is "trash" or whatever (if it's not this then it's something like the Sonic series that people behave like this about).. no it may not be what you want, but tough!

Not keen on DLCs, but do I want a collectors box set kind of thing for what I'd probably rate as my favourite game of all time that is very important to me.... heck yeah.  My desire for a nice collectable box and bits and bobs outweighs my distaste for DLC summons.

Besides, if we all boycotted anything that annoys anyone or does any negative thing anywhere in the world... well we certainly wouldn't be here typing about it given that all computer hardware is made in Chinese sweatshops ;)

Quote from: Cerys on June 13, 2019, 01:11:47 AM
He's back on board for this, though, isn't he?  Or did I dream it?

Oh yay!  That definitely bodes well!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cloud on June 19, 2019, 12:17:07 AM
With respect, I'll do what the hell I want with my money.  This is the same bullshit as people who get on your case for buying an Apple product or heck... buying a game that they don't personally enjoy and think is "trash" or whatever (if it's not this then it's something like the Sonic series that people behave like this about).. no it may not be what you want, but tough!

Not keen on DLCs, but do I want a collectors box set kind of thing for what I'd probably rate as my favourite game of all time that is very important to me.... heck yeah.  My desire for a nice collectable box and bits and bobs outweighs my distaste for DLC summons.

Besides, if we all boycotted anything that annoys anyone or does any negative thing anywhere in the world... well we certainly wouldn't be here typing about it given that all computer hardware is made in Chinese sweatshops ;)

It was wrong of me to quote your post to say my piece on exclusive pre-order DLC.  I should have just said it without dragging you into it directly and for that I apologise.  You're absolutely correct, it is not my place to suggest to you how you should spend your money.

Cloud

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2019, 04:29:02 PM
It was wrong of me to quote your post to say my piece on exclusive pre-order DLC.  I should have just said it without dragging you into it directly and for that I apologise.  You're absolutely correct, it is not my place to suggest to you how you should spend your money.

No worries :)

I'm not too stoked about DLCs either, I'd rather if they must milk more money they do it with custom outfits for Cloud or something like that, but can live with it

Thursday

Yeah like lots of additional sexy outfits you can choose for Cloud during the Don Corneo bit.

Hoping for some legit BREAST PHYSICS for Tifa now the tech has been developed.

Consignia

Prepare to be disappointed, Square's ethics department enforced a de-norking on Tifa.

bgmnts

Quote from: Consignia on June 19, 2019, 10:26:20 PM
Prepare to be disappointed, Square's ethics department enforced a de-norking on Tifa.

lol

Consignia

I hope you're wearing incontinence pants, because the following article may make piss yourself laughing. DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU! https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-19-square-enix-has-an-ethics-department-and-it-told-the-final-fantasy-7-remake-developers-to-restrict-tifas-chest

St_Eddie

A corporate entity having an 'ethics department' is disturbingly Orwellian but I don't disagree with Tifa's chest being made more realistic and less pathetically pandering to adolescent masturbatory nerds.  Aside from anything else, Tifa's unnaturally large bosom wouldn't tally with the more realistic aesthetic that Square Enix is adopting with the remake.

Urinal Cake

They probably saved us from Blaxploitation Barrett too. But not Yaoi Seprioth.

madhair60

Just got round to the scorpion fight from E3. Mate this is charmless. Just constant inane chatter, cuts away from the action to show the fight shifting to the next phase, just looks dogshit. They've fucked it.