Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

This was in one of the earlier trailers, so, I dunno maybe they are adding some more British influences for Midgar

Jim Bob

Here's a playthrough of the full leaked demo.

I'm starting to warm to this a little more.  It does look pretty good.  I think what will make or break this for me is just how linear the final game is, or how open ended it is.  It's not something which can be assessed by the demo, as that section was linear in the original game too.  The true test will be once the player leaves Midgar, which is one of my fondest memories in all of gaming within the original game; when you suddenly realise that the 5 hours or so spent in Midgar was merely the d'oeuvre and now you've got an entire world to explore as the main course.

If in the remake, the player is instantly whisked to say, the chocobo ranch and there's no world map to run around in, that'll pretty much kill my enthusiasm for this remake.  Unfortunately, we won't know how Square Enix are going to handle that until they release Part 2 in 2022 or whenever.

Thursday

The lack of info and clarity on when and how many future episodes there might be is certainly a worry.

The Culture Bunker

Visually it looks great, but I'm still a long way from convinced I'm going to enjoy the combat.

Dewt

I think it's reasonable to guess the experience we'll be getting here. A nice remake, fun to plod through with nostalgia in mind, but ultimately it's probably not going to recapture the magic and charm of something that was made in much headier conditions.

I'm already longing for the original versions of the music when I hear the slick ones in these demo videos. That's likely just me, though.

peanutbutter

I imagine the number of episodes is dependent on the reception to this one, beyond $$$ considerations you'd imagine it'll give them a good idea of how to pace shit.
Part 2 would be what? Kalm up to Temple of the Ancients? Aeris's death?

The older I get, the more I feel a lot of what made FF7 special was how patched together it all was. The constantly swapping character designs was kinda great and I'm not even sure why, right up to that last fight where you see two designs that have not appeared the whole way through the game

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Dewt on January 05, 2020, 10:39:47 PM
I think it's reasonable to guess the experience we'll be getting here. A nice remake, fun to plod through with nostalgia in mind, but ultimately it's probably not going to recapture the magic and charm of something that was made in much headier conditions.

I'm already longing for the original versions of the music when I hear the slick ones in these demo videos. That's likely just me, though.
Blaxploitation Barret is a mess but when he's telling at Cloud about the planet bleeding green and the Earth talking to him and Cloud just brushes him off as a lunatic it hit me. A new generation and the generation who played it once as kids is probably going to think that this is a new addition just for the contemporary audience. But really shit hasn't changed since the 90s. The environmental, corporate and scientific/social context of the games still exists now.  Also the whole reveal and deconstruction about how Cloud isn't the born hero he thinks he is is probably ring going to ring truer for this generation than the previous one. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how subversive the game really was.

Dewt

Maybe I already said this here, but talking to my friend about how I hate voice acting in adventure games and he suggested the brilliant idea of playing with Japanese audio and English language subtitles. I hope that's an option, as it would be the perfect combination of hearing voices but not having it ruined by being in a language I'm fluent in spoiling my interpretation.

Jim Bob

I like the fact that they didn't try to change Barrett from being anything other than a Poundland version of Mr. T.

Urinal Cake

The first problem with Barret is the voice acting. Then the script.

Thursday

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 06, 2020, 12:12:47 AM
Blaxploitation Barret is a mess but when he's telling at Cloud about the planet bleeding green and the Earth talking to him and Cloud just brushes him off as a lunatic it hit me. A new generation and the generation who played it once as kids is probably going to think that this is a new addition just for the contemporary audience. But really shit hasn't changed since the 90s. The environmental, corporate and scientific/social context of the games still exists now.  Also the whole reveal and deconstruction about how Cloud isn't the born hero he thinks he is is probably ring going to ring truer for this generation than the previous one. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how subversive the game really was.

Yeah Avalanche are basically Extinction Rebellion, and all the pissbaby gamers are going to complain about it forcing a political message.

Phil_A

Quote from: Dewt on January 06, 2020, 12:14:37 AM
Maybe I already said this here, but talking to my friend about how I hate voice acting in adventure games and he suggested the brilliant idea of playing with Japanese audio and English language subtitles. I hope that's an option, as it would be the perfect combination of hearing voices but not having it ruined by being in a language I'm fluent in spoiling my interpretation.

Mate, been doing that for years! It was the only way I could endure Bravely Default on the 3DS, the English voices on that were horrendous.

Shenmue improves quite a bit as well with the Japanese audio, but I found the original voices in FFX too obnoxious and ended up switching back to the English.

Johnny Textface

Is this coming to Xbone do we know?

bgmnts

Quote from: Phil_A on January 06, 2020, 06:43:55 PM
Mate, been doing that for years!

Same, most English voice acting in JRPGs is crap and listening to the original language adds to the experience for me.

I played the first two Metro games in Russian.

Consignia

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 06, 2020, 06:49:38 PM
Is this coming to Xbone do we know?

Probably. It's not been officially announced, but one of the selling points for the PS4 it's timed exclusivity until March 2021. Look it's on the bleeding box:

Not on Xbone for definite, it could be PC only. But I'd say that's unlikely.

bgmnts

Thankfully we can all play the full original game on xbone.

Thursday

Quote from: bgmnts on January 06, 2020, 07:25:26 PM
Thankfully we can all play the full original game on xbone.

Sadly we can't! They're going to destroy all copies of the original when this comes out! The original soundtrack too!

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure anything can do more damage to the franchise than the compilation of Final Fantasy 7 already did.

popcorn

I wonder if they've captured the most important part of FF7 which is
the fact that it's shite!!! Yeah

Thursday

You just don't know how to play games.

Kryton

I doubt the music will hold up in the new version. Probably all orchestra and guitars and dubstep.

popcorn

Quote from: Thursday on January 06, 2020, 08:43:10 PM
You just don't know how to play games.

I genuinely don't know how to play loads of classic PS1 games. It is a console whose entire library seems to be composed JRPGs and survival horror and fighting and racing games with hateful, counter-intuitive designs. I feel like if the PS1 were the only console that had ever come out I would just be someone who didn't like or understand games at all.

I'm glad they're remaking this and the REs though, it means I can at least fill gaps in my knowledge.

Consignia

The most important part of FF7 was the friends you made along the way.

The Culture Bunker

And learning that spousal abuse was definitely not cool, even if done by the best character in the game.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 06, 2020, 03:23:59 AM
I like the fact that they didn't try to change Barrett from being anything other than a Poundland version of Mr. T.

thats how i always imagined him, the racist 14 year old boy that i was

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: popcorn on January 06, 2020, 08:51:20 PM
I genuinely don't know how to play loads of classic PS1 games. It is a console whose entire library seems to be composed JRPGs and survival horror and fighting and racing games with hateful, counter-intuitive designs. I feel like if the PS1 were the only console that had ever come out I would just be someone who didn't like or understand games at all.

I'm glad they're remaking this and the REs though, it means I can at least fill gaps in my knowledge.

i hope theres a glitch in your copy that gives it tank controls

Jim Bob

Quote from: popcorn on January 06, 2020, 08:51:20 PM
I genuinely don't know how to play loads of classic PS1 games. It is a console whose entire library seems to be composed JRPGs and survival horror and fighting and racing games...

popcorn doesn't do JRPGs, survival horror, fighting or racing games.  popcorn does dating sims.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 06, 2020, 09:29:20 PM
thats how i always imagined him, the racist 14 year old boy that i was

My comment wasn't sarcastic.  I too imagined Barrett's voice to be a Mr T knock-off.  In fact, I'm pretty darn sure that's how he was originally intended, so I'm genuinely pleased that he's still presented that way within the remake.

NoSleep

Quote from: Consignia on January 06, 2020, 09:05:21 PM
The most important part of FF7 was the friends you made along the way.

I still keep in touch with some of them.

Dewt

I live with Tifa under The Highwind parked up on that mountain. It's very nice.

Thursday

I bet you do you dirty old...

But nah that is a lovely scene.

Cerys

Quote from: Thursday on January 06, 2020, 06:07:18 PM
Yeah Avalanche are basically Extinction Rebellion, and all the pissbaby gamers are going to complain about it forcing a political message.

Fuck 'em.