Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 02, 2020, 11:58:42 AM
There's a demo on PSN. Get it done.

It's coming through my pipes as we speak.

Thursday

Here's my impression of a FF7 Remake character standing still not doing anything.

"HUFF HUFF"
"MMMM"
"HUH"
"HNGHHHH"
"RIGHT!"
"GUH"
"WHAA?"
"WHOOOO"
"THIS WAY!"
"OAOAHOOOO"

Thursday

Anyway this was fine, but I saw various people saying variants of "wow I wasn't sure about a FF7 Remake, but this has me hyped!!!" And I want to know what the fuck they expected it to be, because it's been pretty much exactly what I would have thought would be, so I certainly retain my concerns after that demo.

Dewt

I'm going back to "I'll probably just watch bits of playthroughs of it". If I were to write down the best outcome I can expect from this, it doesn't get any better than me thinking "yes, they pulled this off to an acceptable standard". Doesn't really add much value to my life.

Urinal Cake

The combat system is fine but what bugged me the most was the dialogue just seemed off.

tourism

I liked it overall (the fighting and everything) but the reactor didn't feel as moody and urgent as I'd remembered. something about the palette/lighting or not being a child. Barret also sounds a bit RDJ in Tropic Thunder.

Bazooka

Combat was nice and fluid,moving around was smooth (no getting stuck on scenery).  Played as I expected, FF Crisis Core(underated game) but higher specs, was good. I've only ever completed FF7 once and another time quite far in, will buy this.

And the cherry on top, you can bloody skip cutscenes,but I didn't. 

madhair60

Good combat,  fucking imbecilic dialogue and constant guttural noises "ugh ah oh ehh geh geh" cunt your fucking vaccum.

"better memorise its attack patterns", what am I, fucking five

madhair60

it's essentially FFVII but for real braindead morons so fundamentally perfect for me

bgmnts

I bet it helped you remember to memorise the attack patterns though didn't it?

Bazooka

Game seemed to throw healing stuff at you, wonder if that's in the full game.

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on March 02, 2020, 11:51:34 PM
Good combat,  fucking imbecilic dialogue and constant guttural noises "ugh ah oh ehh geh geh" cunt your fucking vaccum.

"better memorise its attack patterns", what am I, fucking five

It's alright mate we won't tell the public you had to use the Phoenix down.

peanutbutter

I wonder which part will be the first PS5 exclusive, part 3? Part 2 after loads of delays?

Cloud

Quote from: Thursday on March 02, 2020, 06:43:47 PM
Here's my impression of a FF7 Remake character standing still not doing anything.

"HUFF HUFF"
"MMMM"
"HUH"
"HNGHHHH"
"RIGHT!"
"GUH"
"WHAA?"
"WHOOOO"
"THIS WAY!"
"OAOAHOOOO"

Oh no I hate it when they insist on the characters always making noises.  Hopefully it doesn't detract too much.  Bring back the days of FF8 with everyone trailing along in a line in silence...

If they have that random but too-small selection of "funny" comments they make every time they defeat an enemy or finish a battle like in XV it's going to get right on my tits.  "NOCT.. another one out" SHUT UP

Going to wait for the full game...

bgmnts

Quote from: Cloud on March 04, 2020, 01:46:17 PM
Oh no I hate it when they insist on the characters always making noises.  Hopefully it doesn't detract too much.  Bring back the days of FF8 with everyone trailing along in a line in silence...

Cloud

Thursday

Quote from: Cloud on March 04, 2020, 01:46:17 PM

If they have that random but too-small selection of "funny" comments they make every time they defeat an enemy or finish a battle like in XV it's going to get right on my tits.  "NOCT.. another one out" SHUT UP

HNGGHHHHHH

Dewt

Quote from: Cloud on March 04, 2020, 01:46:17 PM"NOCT.. another one out" SHUT UP
Blurring my eyes and pretending that there's an FF game where a character keeps talking about Not the Nine O'Clock News after victories.

Sheffield Wednesday

I cried physical salt tears during the intro, as the camera rose to reveal LOVELESS and surged above the city and I took in Midgar looking every inch as incredible as it did first time around, like it was in my memories, and then PAH PAHHHH!!! the fanfare as the titles appear and I feel a lump in my throat but I'm also laughing, this is it, I exhale, happy, suspended in time...CHUGGA CHUGGA, the camera starts swooping, CHUGGA CHUGGA, they've got the palette just right, CHUGGA CHUGGA, is this really happening...? The bass arpeggios, the steam, the somersault...this is Final fucking Fantasy VII. I can't believe it's here.

Capt.Midnight

They've nailed the atmosphere of the original. Whilst many have praised the combat system, I felt a bit out of control with it a lot of the time...An uneasy mix of fast action and tactical menu scrolling. I felt like I was ordering a several Just Eat takeaways in the midst of an amphetamine binge.

Sheffield Wednesday

I think any meaningful analysis of the combat in the demo is tricky because the first few hours of combat in the original game were completely mindless. I can see this halfway house of ARPG and JRPG mechanics clicking quite a nicely and it certainly feels a whole lot more fun and interesting than FFXV.

Golden E. Pump

Just finished my third playthrough. I absolutely love it. The combat system feels better as you learn how to use it and I can see this being every bit as immersive as the original. Tone is spot on.

The Culture Bunker

Nah, not having it, sorry. It looks great, but it struck me as a 1997 game with updated graphics, and none of what I actually want from a game in 2020. Voice acting was pretty "meh" too. I'll probably buy it for a nostalgia trip through the story at some point, but no way for more than £20.

Sheffield Wednesday

What do you mean by 'nah, not having it'?

Would also be interested to hear what makes it a 1997 game from the demo. And while you're reflecting, it would be useful context to know what you want from a game in 2020, as well.

Many thanks.

The Culture Bunker

I don't want a game that just makes me think I am pressing buttons to get between A to B. I'm aware most games are that, but some do make an effort to fool me into thinking I have some agency.

And by "nah, not having it", I mean, I'm not paying a lot of money for what is essentially a lot of cut scenes with the odd bit of slashing and running between them. That was fine in 1997, not 2020. Fancy graphics and a nostalgic buzz isn't enough. I mean, even the original gave me some dialogue choices.

It looks great, but for me, it plays "meh".

bgmnts

I want turn based combat where I have to think.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 06, 2020, 10:55:41 PM
I don't want a game that just makes me think I am pressing buttons to get between A to B. I'm aware most games are that, but some do make an effort to fool me into thinking I have some agency.

And by "nah, not having it", I mean, I'm not paying a lot of money for what is essentially a lot of cut scenes with the odd bit of slashing and running between them. That was fine in 1997, not 2020. Fancy graphics and a nostalgic buzz isn't enough. I mean, even the original gave me some dialogue choices.

It looks great, but for me, it plays "meh".
I'm hoping they greatly expand Midgar, allow you to explore add more quests, optional quests etc. For me the whole chapter thing has put me off but it's understandable commercially. That's why it's not a launch buy for me.  If reviews for it are average I might just wait for the box set or next gen version.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 06, 2020, 11:03:07 PM
I'm hoping they greatly expand Midgar, allow you to explore add more quests, optional quests etc. For me the whole chapter thing has put me off but it's understandable commercially. That's why it's not a launch buy for me.  If reviews for it are average I might just wait for the box set or next gen version.
I barely trust video game reviews anymore. I think back to the original, when I first played it, and it was fun how you could name the characters so that Red XIII can always be "Old Shep" to you if you wish. Obviously that's gone now, and I wonder if there is actually any way to make the experience even feel slightly unique to yourself. I got off the FF ride when it just seemed like a "we'll hold your hand down this corridor" experience of gaming - the demo just seemed more of that.

Dewt

Hm, that's another reason I think I'll just watch playthroughs or streams of it. It's too detailed and nothing is left open to interpretation. It's book versus the movie, for me.