Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obel

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on March 29, 2020, 06:01:49 PM
My issue was that the criticism extrapolated far more than is likely reasonable about the game as a whole. It's a demo of the very start of the tutorial, not a snapshot of the midgame mechanical depth. I love arcade games as much as the next guy, no, much more than the next guy, but I don't expect the FF7R to start in fifth gear.

Equally, saying that it doesn't play like an action RPG seems to be holding it to a standard it doesn't even attempt to meet. Despite appearances, the combat is very similar in principle to the original, bread and butter attacks chipping away with more tactical decisions making the significant differences. The character action elements are extremely light, far more in line with something like Xenoblade Chronicles than Bayonetta.

I will apologise for saying that it was contrarianism because that's a personal comment.

Edit: I forgot my password for that account yeah.

I don't think I could have made it any clearer that this game isn't made for me. I didn't say it should be made as an action RPG, simply that I prefer that style of gameplay generally and the FFVII remake isn't made in line with how I enjoy games. I can see people are holding this remake really close to their hearts already as any criticism is being met with accusations that people are just being negative or contrarian, but it might be worth reminding you that this is a discussion forum where people discuss their thoughts on things. Unless you think it's the case I've decided to not like the game when secretly I actually do?

On the note of it being a demo; if it's not put out there to sell you on how the game plays then what is it for? If I play a demo and dislike it should I buy the full game anyway because it'll probably get better after the demo?

If peoples opinions on forums neg you out so much I would probably advise you don't log onto forums anymore.

Bazooka

I can't think of any examples where a demo is not a 99% reflection of the full release, like every big game release these days it's going to have 100GB updates for months.

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: Obel on March 30, 2020, 09:04:38 AM
I can see people are holding this remake really close to their hearts already as any criticism is being met with accusations that people are just being negative or contrarian, but it might be worth reminding you that this is a discussion forum where people discuss their thoughts on things.

If peoples opinions on forums neg you out so much I would probably advise you don't log onto forums anymore.

If you don't want criticism of your reasoning on a discussion forum, just say 'I don't like it'.

bgmnts

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on March 30, 2020, 02:47:17 PM
If you don't want criticism of your reasoning on a discussion forum, just say 'I don't like it'.

Yeah but if your criticism is just "don't be so negative"...

Abnormal Palm

Yeah but

I explained in detail twice

Dewt

Thank you interloper. If you're done then we'll continue thanks

Abnormal Palm

This game is now out there by the way. Retail copies leaked.

Abnormal Palm

Now on sale in Australia for some reason. They just decided to break release date.

Will Square Enix unlock digital preorders early? They probably won't.

madhair60

My copy dropped through the letterbox this morning. :)

This game is going to make people angry :)

Cloud

They won't release digital early.

Properly kicked myself yesterday as I've wanted physical deluxe but held back due to an upcoming birthday "just in case".  Well everywhere had ran out.  Thought "well fuck, it's a limited edition isn't it, so that's that".  Kept refreshing Game and as luck would have it suddenly around 4pm it let me order.

Still not counting my chocobos til they've dispatched...

madhair60

I've played a little more.

People are going to go insane. There's going to be at least one suicide.

Dewt

Does anything in it feel like art with any touch of magic or soul to it or is it all just a big fucking product

madhair60

You know that bit in the original where Barrett clears out a train cab so he can put his feet up?

That's a five minute cutscene now in which multiple characters YELL their MOTIVATIONS and OPINIONS

bgmnts

Just realised why do we all rightfully shit on Lucas and Spielberg going back and editing their films and doing special editions but we don't rag on these remakes?

Fuck em all?

tourism

Quote from: bgmnts on April 04, 2020, 09:17:11 PM
Just realised why do we all rightfully shit on Lucas and Spielberg going back and editing their films and doing special editions but we don't rag on these remakes?

Fuck em all?

that's valid yeah, but I would prefer to shit on 'Sephiroth' or 'the turks' while playing this perfect game, completely undisappointed

Quote from: madhair60 on April 04, 2020, 08:50:21 PM
You know that bit in the original where Barrett clears out a train cab so he can put his feet up?

That's a five minute cutscene now in which multiple characters YELL their MOTIVATIONS and OPINIONS

music to my ears!

NoSleep

Fuck em all?

Because a remake is different to how Lucas & Spielberg keep tweaking the original films. They try to rewrite history compared to a remake of a film (which can be disregarded). The FF series has featured several versions of the games with tweaks in gameplay, graphics, translations, difficulty but are at the core based on the original release (and some people might not be pleased, whilst others will prefer them); I would call this new FFVII a different game to the original; a true remake.

I think more people were pissed off with Spielberg for the last Raiders film because it shat over the earlier films. He and Lucas should really be more interested in releasing new material instead of treading water, but there's the evidence that the well has run dry (or they really don't care).

Urinal Cake

Fuck em all?
Well if FFVII REmake is shit that's what'll happen.

madhair60

This game is a corridor you run down while looking at FFVII stuff.

Dewt

Is it playable with Japanese audio and English subs?

Timothy

Got it today. Demo was great so cant wait to play it after install is finished.

Thursday

Fuck em all?

Because it's a completely different thing, but also people do rag on them???

Thursday

I'm sorry I'm not going to answer you because Nosleep has already said and I don't believe you actually need this explained.

bgmnts

Eh remake is a remake is a remake. Shouldnt get special treatment. Its all shite.

NoSleep

Not all remakes are shite: I really like the remake of The Crazies.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on April 05, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
Eh remake is a remake is a remake.

*Extremely knows-things-you-don't-know smile*

madhair60

Johnny Textface

So is this full price even though its but a small part in the overall game?

madhair60

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 05, 2020, 02:57:30 PM
So is this full price even though its but a small part in the overall game?

lmao

peanutbutter

87 on metacritic after 60 reviews.

So it probably hits the level of good enough to get by on novelty.