Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

I don't know any explicit spoilers, but I can already tell from a couple of things in reviews they're setting up some massive changes in this aren't they?

Aerith resurrection confirmed.

Dewt

I like the two new characters, the wise-cracking walrus twins Eerbit and Surbit

gmoney

Can't believe they made Barret's daughter a Cactuar.

bgmnts

Quote from: Thursday on April 06, 2020, 12:20:44 PM
I don't know any explicit spoilers, but I can already tell from a couple of things in reviews they're setting up some massive changes in this aren't they?

Cloud shot first.

Cerys

Quote from: Thursday on April 06, 2020, 12:20:44 PM

Yeah, but if you resurrect her then
Spoiler alert
Meteor crashes into the planet and fucks everyone into oblivion
[close]

colacentral

Quote from: bgmnts on April 05, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
Eh remake is a remake is a remake. Shouldnt get special treatment. Its all shite.

The "special editions" weren't remakes.

Cerys

I just hope the combat is better than FFXV.  That's been driving me up the wall.

Thursday

A few hours in, enjoying it although I knew I was going to be annoyed by the early Sephiroth appearances, and they really do overdo it, but fine whatever, I can cope.

The NPC background dialogue is really weird... their dialogue all feels so unnatural... like you have the thing where Biggs and Wedge say they're going to talk up your reputation around town and then all of a sudden all the NPC's have this"Hey that must be that new merc!!!" dialogue as you pass by. It's serves it's purpose, but it feels very strange.

I don't think it's the localisation, it feels like the devs have seen Bethesda open world games and are doing their own version of that, but in their own weird amped up Japanese way. Strange comparison, but it makes me think of Pro Evolution Soccer, and it's uncanny weirdness. Like how'd you see a big banner in the crowd saying "Who Ate All the Pies" and it's funny because somehow they know that reference but don't understand it.

Cloud

Guess we'll see how it goes when mine finally turns up, but I loved in the original that you thought the game was all about Shinra and it was only the equivalent of "towards the end of part 1 of the remake" that the twist came of... "actually Shinra doesn't matter, it's time we landed this Sephiroth bombshell"

Thursday

This game is so horny, perfect for these self-isolating times.

Thursday

I mean, imagine being out of school, just starting puberty and having these characters to play around with right now. Goodness me.

popcorn

That's the first comment that's made me want to look up footage of this game.

Cerys

I have to wait.  I can do this.  I can wait.  Yes.

Nnngh

bgmnts

Just me not falling for it? Boo.

Dewt

I watched three seconds of Tifa speaking and decided I'm never playing this or even watching a stream like I originally planned.

Golden E. Pump

This is so breath-takingly beautiful. I think I'm going to struggle to go back to the original ever again. My only criticism of it is that the Sephiroth moments do ruin his reveal a little - but we all know Sephiroth already so keeping the initial surprise would not have the same effect anyway. Other than that all the new stuff seems perfectly in keeping with the tone and telling of the story. Sure, some of the dialogue feels a little clunky - but it was far worse in the original and this matches the goofy nature of the original game, especially when it comes to characters like Barret and Wedge.

I've just got to Aerith's house and already this may be my favourite game of all time. It's so fun, and has this magical perfect balance between nostalgia and being a modern AAA title. And to think, this is the 'clunky' first part. Part 2 is going to be even better.

Cerys

Thursday

Just reached Wall Market. (Over 16 hours in) It's got problems but I'm utterly absorbed by this. Still doesn't feel real, just playing the things is such a weird dreamlike experience

Dewt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxk8B7dKBzU

Haha, nope.

See, this is what I knew it would be. Just this constant unnecessary rumbling of orchestration underneath everything, making it sound like a big formless blob of production.

Dewt

Things like Let The Battles Begin and The Airbuster are done really well in the remake, because they're supposed to sound guitary and orchestrated. Most of the rest is a pretty bland bollocks interpretation of it all, IMO.

Cloud

Ah shut up ya miserable git :D

It's pretty much everything I'd hoped so far (except for length - the fact it ends about 1/30th of the way through the original game is... disappointing, and if it's one part per 3-5 years we could be playing this the rest of our lives).  The people are exactly as I visualised them and pretty much as I heard them.  The areas are mostly as I visualised them except for being able to actually see the "pizza" and outside of it, which all makes perfect sense. 

The expansions and additions are mostly natural, though I'm not sure about the dementors.  I'm fine with throwing Sephiroth in - yes it loses that MASSIVE PLOT TWIST for new players where you think it's all about Shinra and all of a sudden you have someone else to care about who you've never heard of until that big moment, but thinking back to playing it for the first time (or thereafter come to that) did we ever gain anything from wondering who the voices were when Cloud spazzes out anyway?  All I got from it was confusion and eventual satisfaction through the lore passed down from that ultimania guide or whatever.

It gives you much more chance to bond with Biggs, Wedge and Jessie which makes your sudden affection for them in the original game make more sense.

Jessie's flirting went from subtle to OUTRAGEOUS, but whatever.

I LOVE that the mechanics with materia are almost identical but with weapon growth thrown in (ehh fair enough).  The materia system is probably my favourite in the entire FF series, so I'm glad they kept it so similar.  Battles in normal mode (only one I've tried so far) are a good mix, I'm spending plenty of time strategising through boss and harder battles but you can also hack and slash your way through the basic crap.

Just landed in the church.  I'm like 20 hours in.  That's.... nuts.

Dewt

Quote from: Cloud on April 13, 2020, 03:00:19 AM
Ah shut up ya miserable git :D
No not at all. Not even entertaining that as a joke.

Cloud

Well then seriously stop being such a downer miserable fucker

Dewt

You're right, the gaming forum should only accommodate the remedial bollocks you've posted that is the exactly the same as a million other reviews.

Fuck off you absolute dead-end. You don't tell anybody that they're not allowed to be negative about something. Entitled prick.

Cloud

Just maybe be less of a cunt
You're more annoying than Roache and that's saying something

Dewt

You're not allowed to tell people not to be negative about something just because you like it. If you need further help I'll order the cards for you that help you learn appropriate human interactions.

I was actually positive about some of the tracks you big baby.

Cloud

Have you tried eating about a thousand dicks? That would be more interesting than your current input bro and you might even give Jessie something to live up to