Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy 7 - Remake

Started by Capt.Midnight, June 16, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

I got a date with Barret!  I now have the full set.  This pleases me greatly.

Quote from: Thursday on July 11, 2015, 04:09:51 PM
Honeybee Inn and Don Corneos mansion are different things!

I suspect the Honeybee Inn might take a very different form.

Alright mate its only been nearly 20 years

Thursday

TRU FANS WOULD REMEMBER FILTHY CASUL

Cerys

Assuming anyone gives a damn, I am now grinding in the North Crater so I can get lots of lovely Master materia.  I've already got one each of Command, Magic and Summon, but I want more, dammit.  More!

monolith

You can sell a mastered All materia for something silly, over a million if memory serves.

Thursday

Yep but there's nothing to spend that money on. You'll have earned enough to buy everything in the game at that point anyway.

Consignia

In fairness, you can master All materia quite early on, though can't you? Like mid-first disc. And that leaves you never having to worry about gil ever.

Thursday

Oh hang on I misread monoliths post.

monolith

Always thought it was a cop out not being able to use quadra magic with Knights of the Round.

It would have bored the shit out of you for quarter of an hour but you could one shot most bosses apart from the obvious two (and even they couldn't survive more than 3x4).

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: monolith on September 01, 2015, 06:18:53 AM
Always thought it was a cop out not being able to use quadra magic with Knights of the Round.

It would have bored the shit out of you for quarter of an hour but you could one shot most bosses apart from the obvious two (and even they couldn't survive more than 3x4).
Presumably you could use quadra with KotR if you had HP<=>MP equipped too? The restriction was it required 1000MP and you generally only have 999 as a maximum..

Consignia

Amazing how much interest can be sapped over a weekend. First, the gameplay is such a huge change, that's already not the game we loved. Action RPG style more akin to FF15, which is fine for a new game but why bother for a remake.

And there's this:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/673687789267902464
Quoteand SquareEnix says FF7 Remake's data size so huge; the software will be split into several titles (for example, FF7-Remake 1, FF7-Remake 2)

Episodic? Man alive.

If they are updating it to modern styles, let's add loads of micro-transactions as well. Fire spells 99p a pop. Knights of The Round Summon £5 (one use). A truckload of Gil - £40.

Hangthebuggers

monolith

Cunts know I'll still buy it. Cunts.

Thursday

Honestly don't think this is as bad an idea as a lot of people seem to think, some interesting reasons why

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a776436/final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-episodic-but-it-couldnt-be-made-otherwise/

I mean I don't doubt that it'll lose a lot of freedom and exploration that VII had, but it would anyway. We still don't know a lot about how these episodes will be structured, but I do think there's parts where splitting things into episodes makes sense.

touchingcloth

Does anyone know what's happening with the music for the remake? The original was so iconic they'd either have to keep it in its original form, or score a whole new soundtrack - a simple re-orchestration wouldn't cut it. That applies to the game as a whole really - perhaps it's a good thing that it's being overhauled rather than simply remade, because the original is perfect in a way that shiny new graphics will never be able to improve upon.

Consignia

Problem is, what once was a nice continuous block of a game is being split piecemeal into various slices. FFVII was always rather linear, splitting it up into episodes should be really easy; for example I can already see:

Episode 1: Midgar
Episode 2: Kalm to Rocket Town - Introduces all mjor characters
Episode 3: Everything up to That Event
Episode 4: Finding Cloud
Episode 5: To the end

But physically splitting it will break the pace and make it feel smaller.

I understand their reasons for doing it, but it quells my interest.

Obel

FFVII was my first foray into RPG's, I'd never really played a game like it at the time, so I hope some people here shared my sense of wonder when I spent so many hours dicking around in Midgar only to leave and realize I'm in this massive world. That is one of my fondest gaming memories. If leaving Midgar was the end of an episode it totally shits on that feeling.

TBH this looks wank anyway. I knew it wouldn't be for me. I had ideas of what these characters sounded like in my own head, it was obvious that the voice acting would be the biggest turn off, but hearing how bad they sound in the trailer just drives that fact home.
I know the original still exists, but still, I just want it to be left alone as a pure artifact of its time.

Consignia

Quote from: Obel on December 07, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
FFVII was my first foray into RPG's, I'd never really played a game like it at the time, so I hope some people here shared my sense of wonder when I spent so many hours dicking around in Midgar only to leave and realize I'm in this massive world. That is one of my fondest gaming memories.

Yeah, I don't think there were many JRPGs before FFVII released in the UK, so I think your experience would be shared as for many the genre would have been quite novel at the time. In fairness, the world is quite sparse and no one location is anywhere near the size of Midgar. But it felt big.

Obel

Yeah true, but that didn't matter to me as the game expanded in different ways. You only find your first summon at the Chocobo ranch, the same time you realize you can ride around on these things! It was a one two punch of excitement. Then later there's the Gold Saucer, which I spent so much time in. Games within a game! It never surprises me that FFVII is so close to peoples hearts.

NoSleep

At least we all still have the original. I would have been more interested in this if they hadn't decided to go for Action RPG (would have preferred a system like FFXIV instead, as that worked brilliantly). The idea that it has to be episodic seems like an afterthought to milk the tremendous enthusiasm from gamers for the redux for all they can; there's no reason to stretch it out like that, they have plenty of experience in presenting epic length RPGs so they fuck the fuck off.

Obel

Yeah this nonsense about it being too big to fit as one game is bollocks. Final Fantasy VII was too big to be on a disc so they just had three discs. VIII and IX had four!

Utter Shit

Quote from: Consignia on December 07, 2015, 09:06:47 AM
Amazing how much interest can be sapped over a weekend. First, the gameplay is such a huge change, that's already not the game we loved. Action RPG style more akin to FF15, which is fine for a new game but why bother for a remake.

Completely disagree - I loved FF7 as it was, but having Midgar brought into the 21st Century as a fully explorable open world got me so excited. The only things that bothered me about videos they've put out are that the voice acting doesn't sound too good (Barett in particular is awful) and Cloud looks like a skinny wee ponce.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Obel on December 07, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
FFVII was my first foray into RPG's, I'd never really played a game like it at the time, so I hope some people here shared my sense of wonder when I spent so many hours dicking around in Midgar only to leave and realize I'm in this massive world. That is one of my fondest gaming memories.

Funnily enough I had the opposite feeling - Midgar was so perfectly realised as a living, breathing city that getting onto the world map and having to fly from isolated town to isolated town was slightly underwhelming by comparison. Almost all of my favourite memories of FF7 are from the early hours in Midgar.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the fact that no town or city in the world of FFVII had as much to explore as Midgar, in fact I couldn't really shake the feeling that some places appeared to be comprised of a couple of streets and and about a dozen buildings, though the fact that they were all gorgeously detailed made up for it.

But like Obel, that feeling of leaving Midgar and going out into the wide open world felt monumental to 10-year old me. Just magic.

NoSleep

And, of course, the size of Midgar compared to the towns and locations elsewhere is part of the story; it's a huge wart on the planet that has appeared in recent history.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on December 07, 2015, 01:17:55 PM
And, of course, the size of your mum compared to the towns and locations elsewhere is part of the story; it's a huge wart on the planet that has appeared in recent history.

Cerys

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 07, 2015, 12:28:20 PMCloud looks like a skinny wee ponce.

Wasn't he always a skinny wee ponce?

NoSleep

He used to be SOLDIER and sports a huge fuck-off sword (and has a physique like Popeye). Bit of a poncy haircut is all.

Consignia

What about Sephiroth? Ultimate life form, mega powered destroyer of worlds. Looks like he's made of twigs.

touchingcloth

The trailer is a bit meh. I do like the idea of exploring a more 3-dimensional Midgar, but the trailer doesn't grab me at all. I remember coming in my pants when I first saw previews of FFV in Playstation mags, and then the experience of playing the game was that of endlessly coming in my pants. The artwork and the music and the epicness of the story all combined to make you totally forget that you were maneuvering the shittiest looking collections of polygons about the place, and no remake is ever going to live up to that. I'd have a go out of curiosity if a friend bought it, but it's not something which is seriously making me consider heading out to buy a Pea Ess For.