Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Great" albums you really hate

Started by hummingofevil, June 18, 2015, 11:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

If you buy Kid A nowadays, does it still have that brilliantly creepy booklet hidden underneath the CD tray? I smashed the whole case of mine in bits tryin to get that out one night when I was drunk, and I'd quite like a replacement that isn't smashed in bits.

Also, apologies to HolyZombieJesus up above, there, I didn't see that you'd already posted that clickhole link.

Kane Jones

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 24, 2015, 09:51:32 AM
If you buy Kid A nowadays, does it still have that brilliantly creepy booklet hidden underneath the CD tray? I smashed the whole case of mine in bits tryin to get that out one night when I was drunk, and I'd quite like a replacement that isn't smashed in bits.

Also, apologies to HolyZombieJesus up above, there, I didn't see that you'd already posted that clickhole link.

I don't know if new copies have it. I bought my copy in 2000 and it's definitely there, as my flat mate at the time smashed his copy up so we could look at it and I kept mine in tact. That's just the kind of cunt I am.

greenman

You realise that you can open CD cases by pushing something into those little holes at the sides of the interior tray?

Kane Jones

Quote from: greenman on June 24, 2015, 11:09:32 AM
You realise that you can open CD cases by pushing something into those little holes at the sides of the interior tray?

I'm fairly sure this one was made so you couldn't do that. I could be talking utter rot though.

DukeDeMondo

I just had a look, it is a fair bit tighter than most trays I've encountered, but still possible to remove without wreckin the place unless you're very impatient or careless or drunk or all three.

On the plus side, my memory of the whole thing bein "smashed to bits" was wildly off, thank goodness. The top right corner of the tray thing itself is broken off, but it's only a wee bit, really. The rest of it's fine.

It's all fine.

The case of my copy of Bona Drag, on the other hand, is shattered to chips of shit. The CD and half of the tray just sittin there, with the inlay all crinkled on top of it. Fuck happened to me, man. Never would've had a CD gettin into that sort of state back in the day.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

From what I'm aware, the hidden booklet - which can definitely be removed without shattering anything - was only included in the original 2000 run of Kid A, so it's not available in later standard editions. There's simply a single sheet (the booklets cover).

It was however included in the deluxe edition that was released - along with deluxe editions of all the Parlophone records - to cash in on the self-released In Rainbows.

I'd never heard of this before and looked it up. No smashing required. Looks cool.

Dannyhood91

Anything by Bruce Springsteen. He's never really clicked with me. I'm sure it's my loss though.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on June 24, 2015, 06:54:18 PM
Anything by Bruce Springsteen. He's never really clicked with me. I'm sure it's my loss though.

I only really like Nebraska.  If you find the stuff you've heard a bit overblown then you might want to give it a try. It's basically a bunch of fairly lo-fi demos he recorded on a portable studio with just vocals, guitar and harmonica. It was meant to get the full E-Street Band treatment.  Luckily, they released the demos instead.

monolith

Nebraska is great but his catalogue is so wide and varied that there is probably something there for everyone.

Weirdly my Dad dislikes him for this reason, he says he doesn't think he knows what he wants to be and that this damages him. My Dad hasn't sold millions yet but I'm sure he is working on it.

Serge

Count me as another one who broke my fucking case trying to get at the hidden booklet in 'Kid A'. I was looking for something hidden after spotting the hidden piece of writing in the 'OK Computer' CD case (on the right hand side of the CD tray side), so when I saw a face looking up at me from behind the spindle, knew that I had to prise it off. I've prised hundreds of CD cases apart in my time, but this was the only one that broke. I replaced it with another black CD tray, though it's not the same.

alan nagsworth

Pretty cool stuff about the "Kid A" booklet. I bought the special edition version of it which is a cardboard book with loads of paintings alongside statistics of the melting of the ice caps. Annoyingly the case is taller and wider than a CD case and it doesn't fit on my fucking rack, and additionally now I find that I don't have a hidden booklet either. SOME SPECIAL EDITION!!

I've had a couple of other CDs like this, with stuff hidden under the tray. The "Come To Daddy" EP by Aphex Twin had a black tray, under which I spotted something through the spindle. It was just another Cunningham-designed child with James' face shopped on. Pretty pointless but nevertheless it made me chuckle. There's also the Mo'Wax release of the first Dr. Octagon album, which has a different album cover too. The track list is printed on a tiny square piece of paper between the tray and back of the case but at an angle I noticed it was folded, so I jimmied the case open to have a look. It's just got the fucking liner notes and shit in there. Most utterly pointless design ever, just completely stupid, and coupled with the totally sub-par alternative artwork, it seems like a total waste of time repackaging it this way. Oh, and also it was released labeled as artist: Dr. Octagon, title: Ecologyst, instead of "Dr. Octagonecologyst" which is far superior and actually makes sense. Idiots.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 25, 2015, 10:49:35 AM
I only really like Nebraska.  If you find the stuff you've heard a bit overblown then you might want to give it a try. It's basically a bunch of fairly lo-fi demos he recorded on a portable studio with just vocals, guitar and harmonica. It was meant to get the full E-Street Band treatment.  Luckily, they released the demos instead.

"Even if you're too cool for Bruce, well, he's got an album for you and It's called Nebraska."

Kane Jones

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 25, 2015, 02:39:55 PM
"Even if you're too cool for Bruce, well, he's got an album for you and It's called Nebraska."

Hey, I never said I was too cool for Bruce. Far from it. Have you seen some of the shit I've admitted to liking on this here forum?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 25, 2015, 06:49:34 PM
Hey, I never said I was too cool for Bruce. Far from it. Have you seen some of the shit I've admitted to liking on this here forum?

Haha, I was only takin the piss.