Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who is the least-worst Beatle?

Started by KennyMonster, June 19, 2015, 11:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

I've never really been a fan of the Fab Four but I came to a startling revelation the other day that the one I hate the least was Ringo.

John preached about having no possesions whilst he owned a new york apartment big enough to have a walk in wardrobe that was bigger than the places many of his fans could afford to live in.

Paul mostly writes dodgy dirges.

George was good in finacing Handmade Films but he was such a miserly, penny pinching, tax-dodging cunt.

Ringu: Thomas the Tank Engine was brilliantly narrated, nothing bad to say (although he hasn't really ever done much for anyone to get narked about TGH).

So not including the fringe band members like the painter who died of a headache or the drummer who opted to be a professional  footballer instead of a musician[nb]Best of The Beatles[/nb], who is your least-worst member of the Fab Four and Why?

ajsmith

I've never understood the enduring fascination The Beatles hold for people who don't care about them or like them much. (like the starter of this thread, who incidentally has the same karma rating as me at the mo) I realise the omnipresence of the Beatles in popular culture is probably irritating if you don't like 'em much.. but I dunno.. you never see as many discussions like this being started about Elvis or Mickey Jackson.. (or maybe you do, but I'm just less sensitive to them cos I ain't a fan).. or I dunno, Shakespeare or Charles Dickens or Kubrick..  this reminds me of a musician friend of mine(who was unaware I was a fan) a decade back who asked me and some other folk in bands to contribute to an 'anti-Beatles' tribute album where everyone would do 'out there' deconstructive covers of Beatles songs ...like that hadn't already been done to death by The residents and everyone's mum 30 years before that.. all that ending up coming out of that projected project was an unthreatening faithful electro cover of 'And Your Bird Can Sing'... pointless and a waste of everyone's time. I'd rather just celebrate em if you like em or (ahem) let it be and dive into the millions of more interesting things (to you) there are out there.

Pit-Pat

I think you're missing the point of the internet there pal. If everyone just shut up when they didn't like something they'd all be outside flying kites, drinking fruit ciders over ice and wearing fluorescent, slatted sunglasses.

Edit: For my money it's either George or Ringo. It would be Ringo straight out but I can't forgive the Aviva adverts[nb]"Would anyone have listened to me if I'd been called Richard Starkey?"[/nb] or Yellow Submarine.

ajsmith

Quote from: Pit-Pat on June 19, 2015, 11:42:48 AM
I think you're missing the point of the internet there pal. If everyone just shut up when they didn't like something they'd all be outside flying kites, drinking fruit ciders over ice and wearing fluorescent, slatted sunglasses.

Aye, I admit my post above is just a tarted up version of the 'if you don't like it, why talk about it?' stupidism and people should obv be free to write about what they want, so I'm fundamentally in the wrong and should let this thread flow in the direction it was intended to. But y'know, the original post seemed to be  just going over a well worn subject that even the op admitted themselves they didn't care much about and so it made me go all snidey. Apologies to the op for being a bit of a prick but I'll let my original post stand for discussions sake anyhow.

KennyMonster

Quote from: ajsmith on June 19, 2015, 11:36:53 AM
I've never understood the enduring fascination The Beatles hold for people who don't care about them or like them much. (like the starter of this thread, who incidentally has the same karma rating as me at the mo) I realise the omnipresence of the Beatles in popular culture is probably irritating if you don't like 'em much.. but I dunno.. you never see as many discussions like this being started about Elvis or Mickey Jackson.. (or maybe you do, but I'm just less sensitive to them cos I ain't a fan).. or I dunno, Shakespeare or Charles Dickens or Kubrick..  this reminds me of a musician friend of mine(who was unaware I was a fan) a decade back who asked me and some other folk in bands to contribute to an 'anti-Beatles' tribute album where everyone would do 'out there' deconstructive covers of Beatles songs ...like that hadn't already been done to death by The residents and everyone's mum 30 years before that.. all that ending up coming out of that projected project was an unthreatening faithful electro cover of 'And Your Bird Can Sing'... pointless and a waste of everyone's time. I'd rather just celebrate em if you like em or (ahem) let it be and dive into the millions of more interesting things (to you) there are out there.

Fixed

Kane Jones

Fabian Thomsett

John Lennon made a good single or two (Instant Karma, Jealous Guy) then hid in a hotel for years.

Paul McCartney has made some really terrible records and some vaguely okayish ones. The video for Ebony and Ivory is, inadvertently, quite funny, so kudos for that.

George Harrison made some alrightish records then hid in his mansion for years and years, occasionally coming out into the world to tell us off for not meditating enough.

And Ringo played Frank Zappa in 200 Motels. Ringo wins.

Mijkediablo

I'm really not a fan of the Beatles, not for their music (some of which is lovely, challenging, interesting etc etc) but more for their cultural ubiquity. I still have remnants of that teenage resentment towards bands who reach that status of widely-accepted brilliance, especially when there were so many other worthwhile artists around at the time who get overlooked. That said, they created some brilliant music. My judgements are mine and therefore based on nothing other than personal prejudice, and come from their activities after the Beatles split.

Now that I've got my caveat out of the way, here are my least-unfavourite Beatles:

1. George Harrison. Financed some great films and, post-Beatles, seemed quite happy to be overshadowed by the bigger names in the group.

2. Ringo Starr. Mainly for Thomas the Tank Engine (although Michael Angelis did a much better job of it). Most people in Liverpool haven't yet forgiven him for slagging the city off in (I think it was) 2008.

3. Paul MacCartney. Bland sweater wearer, mostly inoffensive. Frog Chorus.

4. John Lennon. Vile scumbag and hypocrite. Very talented, of course, but an utter, irredeemable cunt. Idolised only by people who don't know anything about him or by people who can live with the cognitive dissonance of a peace loving wife beater.

Fabian Thomsett

madhair60

Quote from: Mijkediablo on June 19, 2015, 12:33:15 PM
2. Ringo Starr. Mainly for Thomas the Tank Engine (although Michael Angelis did a much better job of it

Did he fuck.

dark now my pies

Ringo made the best simpsons guest appearance, so probably him.

DrGreggles

I always got the feeling that I'd get on with George the most.
Obviously I'd try to keep the conversation away from Hari Krishna and sitars...

alan nagsworth

Ringo because Thomas The Tank Engine and also his absolutely brilliant art which far surpasses any of The Beatles' tawdry nonsense.

Fuck me, I've not been on that site in years and was expecting it to have not updated for a while, but the cunt's still pumping out the dross. This is £6,000:

Some fucker's actually bought it as well because it is now SOLD OUT.

Haaaahahahahahaha

CaledonianGonzo

Didn't we sort this out recently in the Lennon & McCartney: Were They Equal? thread?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 19, 2015, 01:31:12 PM
Didn't we sort this out recently in the Lennon & McCartney: Were They Equal? thread?

No we didn't because

ajsmith

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 19, 2015, 01:18:51 PM
Ringo because Thomas The Tank Engine and also his absolutely brilliant art which far surpasses any of The Beatles' tawdry nonsense.

Fuck me, I've not been on that site in years and was expecting it to have not updated for a while, but the cunt's still pumping out the dross. This is £6,000:

Haaaahahahahahaha

That one's patently rubbish, but some of this portraits have a beguiling intensity. This one would be a good residents album cover:

great_badir

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 19, 2015, 11:25:18 AM
Ringu

Can't play drums for fuck, but can scare the shit out of Japanese teenagers.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 19, 2015, 01:18:51 PM

Haaaahahahahahaha

Cheaper and better than Rothko...

Quote from: Mijkediablo on June 19, 2015, 12:33:15 PM
wife beater.

C'mon, he was married to Yoko...

checkoutgirl

The Beatles from least to most annoying.

Ringo. Like his tank engine voice and appearance on The Simpsons. 2/10 annoyingness.

George. Like his handmade films and appearance on The Simpsons. 3/10 annoyingness.

John. Like his offbeat tastes and counter culture hijinks. 5/10 annoyingness.

Paul. Say Say Say, Frog Chorus, The Girls Is Mine & other atrocities. 8/10 anoyingness.

To be completely fair if you add it up you get 18 out of 40 and divide it out on average the Beatles individually only annoy me to a degree of 4.5 out of 10. Which probably puts them slap bang in the couldn't give a fuck about them either way mate category. Live and let die and all that bollocks.

KennyMonster

Quote from: great_badir on June 19, 2015, 01:35:53 PM
Can't play drums for fuck, but can scare the shit out of Japanese teenagers.

The typo was intentional ;-)

great_badir

Paul did do Live and Let Die, though.  Which, I think, is a great fucking song.

On the other hand, I also like It Don't Come Easy.

great_badir

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 19, 2015, 01:41:06 PM
The typo was intentional ;-)

Is a tasty corn-based circular snack, then.

Shaky

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on June 19, 2015, 12:40:05 PM
Another reason why Ringo was the bestest Beatle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAU0l7325w0

I love the stilted, pseudo-rap moments from Ringo at the start, as if he's trying to appeal to da kids before immediately reverting to standard crotchety old man tone.

"Ha Ha - it's fun Uncle Ringo! But seriously, just fuck off NOW."

Mijkediablo

Ringu:

[nb]First effort, hence the overall shiteness and all the blank space. I'm so, so very sorry.[/nb]

great_badir

Quote from: Mijkediablo on June 19, 2015, 02:23:06 PM
Ringu:

[nb]First effort, hence the overall shiteness and all the blank space. I'm so, so very sorry.[/nb]

Not bad, but too dry and his hair is too short.  B-.