Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit "The _____" bands from the noughties that are all but forgotten

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 20, 2015, 09:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

It's the title of a Wilfred Owen poem. Sure he'd be well chuffed.

Mr Banlon

holyzombiejesus

Yes. Yes, he is. He invented the bob. Bob and Terry. Likely Lads. There's a theme.

ajsmith

I'll sing a song about some people you might know
The made front pages of the news not long ago
Ah but now they're just a part of the crowd
And I wonder where they all are now.

http://www.nme.com/features/10-years-on-what-are-the-stars-of-2005-indie-doing-now

chand

Donny Tourette, there:

Quote"Once you've come to fully understand the universe and the power of your creation within it, one need never work another day in one's life"

"Will that be cash or credit card, sir?"
"I'd like to pay with my understanding of the universe and the power of my creation within it, please"
"Security!"

Some guy from The Paddingtons:

Quote"I guess The Paddingtons just fell out of vogue"

Aww, cute. Nobody tell him.

Beagle 2

Pete Doherty's a plumper now eh? Big lad as well. Big fat blob. Pete Doherty the blob, fat blobby bastard Pete Doherty.

Of course Pink Grease bloke ended up at Buzzfeed...

chand

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 08, 2015, 03:35:22 PM
Pete Doherty's a plumper now eh? Big lad as well. Big fat blob. Pete Doherty the blob, fat blobby bastard Pete Doherty.

Pete Doughnut-y more like, eh fellas.

Remember when that guy mysteriously fell out out of a window and died shortly after being beaten up by Doherty's minder, and then Doherty and his pals fled the scene? Great days.

Beagle 2

The first thing I saw when I got off the bus in Camden for my first day at a new job was Pete Doherty. Walking down the street bold as brass, quarter to nine in the morning, almost as if he lived and worked in the immediate area. I thought I would be seeing Pete Doherty all the time, but I only saw him once more, a couple of months later, hailing a taxi whilst holding a bag of chips. His descent had already begun. While his publicists successfully pulled the wool over the eyes of the nation with stories of debauched substance abuse, the truth was far less glamorous. Things came to a head at Carl Barat's club night in late 2004, when a shambolic Doherty turned up holding four bags of chips, dropping them all over the stage and slipping on the grease as he yelled an acapella version of Time for Heroes into a battered sausage.

The two would remain estranged until 2010, when Barat broke the uneasy silence with a phone call, saying simply: "I don't mind that you're a fat chips bastard now because I'm skint". 

holyzombiejesus

Not a 'The' band but that talk of Damon Gough earlier reminded me of Alfie. By and large they pretty much deserve the huge shrug of indifference they received from the record buying public. HOWEVER, they di drecord this gorgeous piece of proggy Beach Boys-y psych. Seriosuly, it's really worth listening to...

Alfie - My Blood Smells of Thunderstorms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGQFrp7nuc

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 03, 2015, 08:03:03 PM

Out of camera shot someone had just entered the room with large doner and chips with mayonnaise for Pete.

23 Daves

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 08, 2015, 03:35:22 PM

Of course Pink Grease bloke ended up at Buzzfeed...

I was living in Australia when Pink Grease first broke, and oddly they got tons of press down under, along with Dogs Die In Hot Cars. In 2004, largely NME-less and without the Internet at home, I ended up believing that both bands were a really big deal in Britain. Then I got home and everyone wondered what planet I'd been beamed down from.

Loads of those bands got zero press in Aus - Goldie Lookin' Chain might as well have never existed. I had no bloody idea who they were when I came home. And Australia was so late to the appeals of Franz Ferdinand and the Darkness that I had to witness their ascent all over again in 2004, hearing "Take Me Out" undergo a second heavy rotation cycle for three months.

There are probably NME hype bands from 2004 I previously had no idea existed as a result of my self-imposed exile. I should probably investigate, but I can't be bothered

Jockice

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten Pink Grease even existed, and I live in Sheffield. Wonder how they got well-known in Australia?

purlieu

Oh don't be daft, NME, nobody gave a shit about Black Wire. Crikey. Four guys living on the dole in the student part of Leeds who happened to have a mildly popular single that didn't enable them to stop being four guys living on the dole in the student part of Leeds. There must be more worthwhile people to interview. Plus, the cunt from the band who used to DJ at The Cockpit refused to play Magazine every time I asked him.

23 Daves

Quote from: Jockice on September 23, 2015, 11:14:39 PM
Bloody hell, I'd forgotten Pink Grease even existed, and I live in Sheffield. Wonder how they got well-known in Australia?

The most likely explanation is that they did a few gigs in Australia. Any band who bothered to make the trek instantly leapt straight up the Australian media's list of favourites, because it was a long, expensive slog and most up-and-coming bands couldn't be bothered with it (it's a limited market place compared to the US and mainland Europe). Also, the record label's PR department usually worked overtime to ensure that the cost of the tour was in some way recouped, so media coverage was really pushed for. Dogs Die In Hot Cars did some television promo as well, I think.

It's how Australians often ended up getting into British bands slightly later as well - release dates seemed to be staggered to take advantage of when the band were available to tour, which was often right at the last minute. The Darkness, for instance, released "Christmastime (Don't Let The Bells End)" a whole year later in Aus, so I had to put up with that one twice as well. Thanks lads.

Most of the Camden indie bands meant bugger-all down under unless you were one of the few contrary cool kids who bought the NME on import in your local book shop. Australia had its own raft of scratchy indie bands, all of whom were neither better or worse, and they weren't really moved to give a shit about The Paddingtons. Also, there was a greater emphasis on rockier, grungier sounds on that side of the planet.

Beagle 2

I once took a wrong turn on the way to the bogs at the Leicester Charlotte and encountered Pink Grease backstage whipping themselves into a pre-gig frenzy. They were already in character, whooping and high-fiving each other. It all seemed very method. I have to say this endeared them to me greatly.