Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit "The _____" bands from the noughties that are all but forgotten

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 20, 2015, 09:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

the psyche intangible

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 21, 2015, 12:38:48 AM
Aww, The Bees were great. Don't lump'em in with the lumpen.

I dunno the difference between The Bees/Coral, but they're allowed under the shutter with a clinical slap on the arse.

Waking Life

Quote from: non capisco on June 20, 2015, 11:43:38 PM
Yeah, 'Sound Of Silver' is magic from start to finish.

I mean...that's a hook.
Not exactly representative of the album in question though. He's fairly open about his 'bad poetry' on a track on the last album.

For what it's worth, there are also a lot of bands mentioned here that have mistakenly been prefixed with The. I also remember at some point around the turn of the century of there being an advert on the Q music channel with some guy lamenting the fact that no band used "The" in their band name anymore (citing Travis, Coldplay, Oasis etc). "It was even good enough for The The". The Strokes came along the next day.

You could probably write this thread about any decade. Media saturation just makes it easier to do for the 00s.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Glad no-one's mentioned the Futureheads, them were actually quite good

(although I guess they weren't technically a 'the') EDIT: turns out I'm a wrong twat

Dr Rock

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 21, 2015, 12:38:48 AM
Aww, The Bees were great. Don't lump'em in with the lumpen.

I agree, from what I recall. Also the 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster were great. Don't care much about any of the others.

DukeDeMondo

DukeDeMondo

You lot are mistaking a load of really interesting, sarky, witty, inventive bands for a bunch of plodding wankers.

Brundle-Fly

Mijkediablo

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 21, 2015, 01:10:52 AM
You lot are mistaking a load of really interesting, sarky, witty, inventive bands for a bunch of plodding wankers.

Yup, there are several ace bands getting dragged into this. The Libertines, Eighties Matchbox, Cooper Temple Clause, The Bees, Guillemots, Moldy Peaches, The Rapture, The Rakes, all were great. I'm dreading someone mentioning Hope Of The States, 'cos I love their first album more than life itself[nb]I'm exaggerating, but not much[/nb].

Anyway, The D4. Saw 'em, wasn't impressed. Their first album had its moments though.

non capisco

Brundle-Fly

gmoney

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 20, 2015, 10:01:59 PM
I decided to give The Others a listen again recently after bringing them up in another thread, and their garbage is actually quite endearing now. I mean it is utter fucking truck, but charmingly shit, in a way the others named here never were. Plus I suppose their hearts were in the right place.

Still a load of fuckin bins, mind.

The Libertines were and are extraordinary.

An ex of mine got the lead singer's signature tattooed on her back. I wonder how she feels about that now.

greenman

Quote from: Waking Life on June 21, 2015, 12:58:06 AM
You could probably write this thread about any decade. Media saturation just makes it easier to do for the 00s.

The 00's were pretty unique though in that so much crap music was sold under the decaying label of "indie" with some kind of inherent artistic value as a result.

Subtle Mocking

Alright alright, I concede that The Libertines weren't shit. The two bands that followed - Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things - most definitely were though. On the subject of crap side projects, The Dead Weather and The Raconteurs might belong here.

Could it be that it was just a time where it seemed like so many more bands were jumping on the bandwagon because of the increased ease of access to fans (like MySpace) and therefore easier access to exposure from the press? It was a weird transitional phase for music that I still don't think we've quite left behind (despite the focus shifting away from social media towards streaming services and the like).

Dr Rock

I  think there was the same amount of 'landfill indie' in 1995 as 2005, it's just there were more good bands around to make up for it. Similar to Captain Z I've been going through every single 'Now That's What I Call Music' in the last couple of days, and things are going ok in all sorts of music up until about 2004. Then after that it rapidly goes to shit. The 'The' bands here that were the best all came in just before 2004 I think.

edit just checked and LCD Soundsystem was 2005. But they were the last good ones. Definitely.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 21, 2015, 09:25:10 AM
I  think there was the same amount of 'landfill indie' in 1995 as 2005, it's just there were more good bands around to make up for it. Similar to Captain Z I've been going through every single 'Now That's What I Call Music' in the last couple of days, and things are going ok in all sorts of music up until about 2004. Then after that it rapidly goes to shit. The 'The' bands here that were the best all came in just before 2004 I think.

2004 was around about the time that hip-hop party jams and crunk took over everything[nb]There was also Grime but it was both much better and nowhere near as successful[/nb], leading to something of a backlash when 50 Cent got pelted with deckchairs and bottles at Reading Festival 2005. He was something of a figurehead in that dreadful period of rap music when Scott Storch was producing everything with his same shrink-wrapped cut-and-paste-a-vaguely-world-music-sounding-snippet-and-put-a-drum-beat-behind-it schtick. Of course, he's now nowhere to be seen, having snorted all his money away. Good riddance.

Since then, there's been the rise of derivative retro-tinged pop (Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Adele, Plan B for a little bit), the return of electro (Lady Gaga, Kesha, Black Eyed Peas, La Roux, Calvin Harris), the seemingly never-ending slog of EDM bores (Calvin Harris again, David Guetta, [no-name producer] collaborating with [has-been pop-star]) and 'poptimism'[nb]sorry[/nb] (Taylor Swift's recent stuff, Lorde, Sia's recent stuff, Drake/Kanye West to an extent). It's better now than it was 10 years ago I think[nb]at least Nickelback seem to have finally fucked off forever[/nb] but there's still a fair share of shite out there.

The Music.

I don't think they were actually that bad, certainly not as awful as some mentioned in here. They weren't anything special either though, and the name is pretty awful. They also had that post-Oasis indie arrogance where their self-belief outstripped their talent by quite a long distance (see Razorlight and almost every gang of guitar weilders of the 00's who thought they were doing something the world had never heard before). I'll give them a pass though purely for their billowing Madchester-esque flares.

The Thrills, The Von Bondies, The Beatings... so many dreadful bands of that era.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 21, 2015, 12:58:55 AM
Glad no-one's mentioned the Futureheads, them were actually quite good

(although I guess they weren't technically a 'the') EDIT: turns out I'm a wrong twat
They were the best of a bad lot, without a doubt.
Growing up though I hated them just as much as all the others, its only recently I listened to their discography and realised they were really rather good.

I think the most offensive 'The' bands that everyone remembers (and hopefully hates) were The Pigeon Detectives, The Enemy, The Bravery and of course - The fucking Kooks.

I'm overjoyed to see all those names from the era of shitrock (2005 - 2008) and realise that ALL OF THEM have since fucked off - disbanded or struggling on in the shitfestival circuit.

When they finally slid off Jo Whiley's  cock they fell down a big fucking cliff.
GOOD RIDDANCE.

Subtle Mocking

I left off The Futureheads because they really were interesting, rather than just a bunch of shallow arse-rock losers who met in the pub and bonded over that one Clash song they've heard. They've got some really great influences like XTC, Gang of Four and Wire, and their last album was entirely a cappella.

ajsmith

Pssaw. Even though I was too old for it (I'm about the same age as the bands of that era), I loved that mid - 00s guitar group era and have fond memories of delivering mail in a sink estate in Airdrie in 2004-08 listening to all these bands being more sucessful than me on XFM. I reckon a lot of the negative drubbing that stuff is getting here and elsewhere is just down to the old 10 years ago = bad 20 years ago = reappraised cycle that reoccurs. Britpop would get a routine slagging as an all round terrible idea in the early - mid 00s but has now been rehabilitated. Not mentioned yet are Little Man Tate who are my personal favourtie obscure lad rock band from that era, like a cartoon parody of the first Artic Monkeys album. Sample line: 'I saw her standing at the bar/ I thought 'are they great boobs or a wonderbra?''. They even had a song called 'Man I Hate Your Band' which was like rutlesesque re-write of the AMs 'Fake Tales of San Francisco'.

The perfect satirical song about that era is this song by Hull folk group Cracktown, inspired by local heros of that era The Paddingtons but applicable to pretty much any of them. it's pretty on point, check it out.

https://cracktown.bandcamp.com/track/please-look-after-this-band

Mijkediablo

Quote from: ajsmith on June 21, 2015, 10:58:05 AM
The perfect satirical song about that era is this song by Hull folk group Cracktown, inspired by local heros of that era The Paddingtons but applicable to pretty much any of them. it's pretty on point, check it out.

https://cracktown.bandcamp.com/track/please-look-after-this-band

Good song, I like that. Puts me in mind of Art Brut's Formed A Band, which is a view of the same scene but from the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qryAwfpHG8o

thraxx

Ugh, yeah, The Enemy.  I was trying to place the name against this bunch of toss last night but failed.  I remember seeing a magazine cover where they were being touted as the next The Jam, and the singer as the next Weller.  I took an instant note never to listen to anything of theirs ever.  The singer always looked like the experiments to splice Mark E Smith and a field mouse were going quite well though.

Waking Life

purlieu

Not actually a 'The' band, but a symptom of the same era of hype, worst of the lot must have been Jet. Horrible on every conceivable level.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Captain Z on June 20, 2015, 11:16:45 PM
Hot Chip

Give over will you? No "The" in the name. Not shit and not all but forgotten.

You've just posted a big list of bands.

Brundle-Fly

Janie Jones

Larrikin Love
Stellastar
TV on the Radio
Hot Hot Heat
I am Kloot
Elle Milano

Oh, hang on, just read thread title properly *hangs head* Sorry!

Mijkediablo

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 21, 2015, 02:10:20 PM
Stellastar

Another band who released a great debut but then couldn't follow it up. A bit derivative of Talking Heads, certainly, but they were pretty good. My Coco and Jenny are great songs.