Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Best Of The Beatles

Started by wosl, June 26, 2015, 04:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wosl

The old Partridge chestnut gets a regular workout at CaB (cropping up especially in Oscillations tag sections), prompting me today into wondering what the cover might look like, but I think we should actually go the whole piggy and try and build this bastard.[nb]Waits for someone to link to an old thread wherein this doomed task was last undertaken[/nb]

So, The Best Of The Beatles.  Working from the idea that materially it would be a compound of the 'Red' and 'Blue' albums, it's a set of two 12"/33-and-a-third vinyl LPs, with the standard restrictions pertaining - i.e. four sides to be filled, each side of which has to contain a group of tracks that together tot up to about 22-24 minutes duration max, and it should represent the ultimate compact compilation/distillation of the Beatles' work of course, from the time they first sustainedly started to work at Abbey Road and tour the globe as an in-demand act, up to the last recording made of them or put out by them as an actively collaborating, working unit.  Apart from that, it's pretty much free-rein. Are you going to create a chronological sequence, or are you going to mix-and-match from different periods?  How about an in-concert track?  Which controversial inclusions/omissions have you got in mind?

Anyone want to suggest adjustments or additions to the terms & conditions?  Let's have them, and then go to!

Custard

It should be an EP

4 tracks

WALLOP
WALLOP
WALLOP
WALLOP
!!!

1. If You've Got Trouble
2. What's The New Mary Jane
3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
4. Revolution No.9

*BONUS TRACK*
5. Spritual Regeneration (With Mike Love's vocals turned up. WAYYYY UP)

This should be the cover:

wosl

Not sure whether Rings meant for it to happen, but that face keeps dissolving into two of The Residents wearing Napoleonic hats floating above a fish-hook.

biggytitbo

Please Please Me
All My Loving
From Me To You
I Wanna Hold Her Hand
If I Fell
And I Love Her
I'll Follow the Sun
I Feel Fine[/size]
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Yesterday
I've Just Seen a Face
Ticket to Ride
Day Tripper
Norwegian Wood
In My Life
Paperback Writer
Eleanor Rigby
Tomorrow Never Knows
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love
A Day in the Life
Dear Prudence
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Blackbird
Helter Skelter
Hey Jude
Come Together
Something
You Never Give Me Your Money
Two of Us
Let It Be
Get Back

Don_Preston

Milverton

Quote from: wosl on June 26, 2015, 04:15:38 PM

The old Partridge chestnut gets a regular workout at CaB (cropping up especially in Oscillations tag sections), prompting me today into wondering what the cover might look like, but I think we should actually go the whole piggy and try and build this bastard.[nb]Waits for someone to link to an old thread wherein this doomed task was last undertaken[/nb]

So, The Best Of The Beatles.  Working from the idea that materially it would be a compound of the 'Red' and 'Blue' albums, it's a set of two 12"/33-and-a-third vinyl LPs, with the standard restrictions pertaining - i.e. four sides to be filled, each side of which has to contain a group of tracks that together tot up to about 22-24 minutes duration max, and it should represent the ultimate compact compilation/distillation of the Beatles' work of course, from the time they first sustainedly started to work at Abbey Road and tour the globe as an in-demand act, up to the last recording made of them or put out by them as an actively collaborating, working unit.  Apart from that, it's pretty much free-rein. Are you going to create a chronological sequence, or are you going to mix-and-match from different periods?  How about an in-concert track?  Which controversial inclusions/omissions have you got in mind?

Anyone want to suggest adjustments or additions to the terms & conditions?  Let's have them, and then go to!

You set an impossible task (and I've tried) but I love that cover to bits.

wosl

Nice one, biggy (not much to take issue with there, and I'll trust you re. the timings!), and cheers, Milv (I reckon now it should be purple lettering on a white background; would make the combining of red and blue a bit less blatant).  I'm not sure the task is impossible, but right now I don't have the energy to give it a decent go, with the timings worked out for each side and everything, so it's not fair to expect anyone else to make the effort, either (I did have it in mind to get at least an excerpt of Revolution 9 onto the end of side three, though, I will admit to that).  The tagger's got it right - we're about Beatled-out, at the moment.  Bad idea/wrong time.  Soz.

lazyhour

You'd include Yesterday and Hey Jude? What are you, a glutton for punishment?

Fabian Thomsett

Flying was the best thing they did. Just have four sides of Flying.

dark now my pies

I would need to give more thought to the remaining tracks but I would definitely end disc 1 with revolution 9 and disc 2 with carnival of light.

dark now my pies

I was going to go to an important meeting to get a new business off the ground now but I think I shall spend the rest of the day crafting the perfect Beatles compilation.

I'll go to the meeting but I'll try to put the best of the beatles at the top of the agenda. Dilemma solved.

dark now my pies

Fuck it. Have a budget best of instead.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 26, 2015, 08:59:22 PM
Please Please Me
All My Loving
From Me To You
I Wanna Hold Her Hand
If I Fell
And I Love Her
I'll Follow the Sun
I Feel Fine[/size]
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Yesterday
I've Just Seen a Face
Ticket to Ride
Day Tripper
Norwegian Wood
In My Life
Paperback Writer
Eleanor Rigby
Tomorrow Never Knows
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love
A Day in the Life
Dear Prudence
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Blackbird
Helter Skelter
Hey Jude
Come Together
Something
You Never Give Me Your Money
Two of Us
Let It Be
Get Back

Not bad but Strawberry Fields Forever is a glaring omission. Also I'd remove all of the last eight, bar Let It Be and Something. I don't like Hey Jude either but it's expected on a Beatles best of.

wosl

Yeah, it's hard to see how you could exclude Strawberry Fields.  Not to start picking too many holes in the list biggy was gracious enough to put together, in lieu of lobbing one of my own over the parapet (I'll have to get round to it), but only one George track there, as well.  And while you wouldn't expect any of Ringo's songs to make The Best Of The Beatles, you might expect to see a non-Starkey-penned track that features one of his better vocal performances (With A Little Help, Goodnight).  In terms of George, I'd be looking to find a place for Taxman, Long, Long, Long and possibly The Inner Light or Within You Without You (heart also says Only A Northern Song, but head would probably overrule it).  It's what you strip out to make way, that's the thing.  I've Just Seen A Face and Let It Be I could lose...

jake thunder

Love me do
Twist and shout
She loves you
I want to hold your hand
It won't be long
All I've got to do
Tell me why
If I fell
Can't buy me love
What you're doing
Kansas city
I'm a loser
Help!
You're going to lose that girl
Ticket to ride
We can work it out
Day tripper
Rubber Soul (whole album except Think for yourself, What goes on and Run for your life)
Revolver (whole album except Eleanor rigby, Love you to and Yellow sumbarine)
Rain
Strawberry fields
Penny lane
Getting better
Fixing a hole
Benefit of mr kite
Lovely rita
Day in the life
Flying
Your mother should know
I am the walrus
Hello goodbye
Hey bulldog
Lady madonna
It's all too much
Back in the ussr
Dear prudence
Ob la di (alternate version)
Happiness is a warm gun
Martha my dear
I'm so tired
I will
Mother nature's son
Step inside love (macca)
Goodbye (macca)
Helter skelter (anthology version)
Long long long
Revolution (single version)
Hey jude
Honey pie
Savoy truffle
Cry baby cry
I me mine
Old brown show
Get back
Don't let me down
Abbey Road (whole album except Maxwell's silver hammer, Mean Mr Mustard, Polythene pam and Her majesty)

Also I'd put most of this in chronological order so you're like BAMN! Tommorow Never Knows straight after Rubber Soul.

Also, mostly in mono except the later stuff.

Here's a summary:
Paul: 35 songs   - 39.77%
John: 30 songs - 34.09%
George - 9 songs -10.23%
John + Paul: 9 songs - 10.23%
Covers: 2 songs - 2.27%
Ringo + George: 1 song - 1.14%
The Beatles: 1 song - 1.14%

Well done Paul! Have a potato.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

And here's mine.

She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
All My Loving
A Hard Day's Night
Help!
Ticket To Ride
Yesterday[nb]
I'm not a huge fan of Yesterday, but it would almost certainly be included in a hypothetical collection such as this.[/nb]

Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Norwegian Wood
Drive My Car
Paperback Writer
Eleanor Rigby
Penny Lane

Strawberry Fields Forever
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
I Am The Walrus
Hello Goodbye

Hey Jude
Get Back
Here Comes The Sun
Come Together
Something
Let It Be

SteveDave

A few years ago I made this for someone who'd never really listened to The Beatles before

The Carnival Of Light "bonus" song was not included...obviously

Steven

Quote from: SteveDave on June 27, 2015, 07:54:16 PM
The Carnival Of Light "bonus" song was not included...obviously

I remember finding this Carnival Of Light outtake mash up on the internet around 15 years ago, not bad.

Old Nehamkin

dark now my pies

Here's my real stab. I've gone with one era per side in roughly chronological order but ultimately sequenced for blend. Each side is roughly 25 minutes of Beatlesy goodness. If a melody is so ubiquitous I'll pop it in even if I think it's fucking crap eg All You Need Is Love. In the end I've avoided stuff from the White Album because there was too much division on that record and the songs don't represent the Beatles at their very best. Plus they clash with the overall sound of the comp. Despite this I do have a fondness for Blackbird.

John and Paul get a fairly even showing even though I did leave out a couple of John's big tunes I Am The Walrus and Come Together because they both go on a bit and take up too much valuable vinyl space. George gets a bit neglected. There was no space for While My Guitar Gently Weeps and I subbed If I Needed Someone for Yellow Submarine at the last second because I felt it was more representative. Two of Ringo songs and two of George, seems fair.

Side ASide B
Side CSide D
Love Me DoHelp!Strawberry Fields ForeverLady Madonna
I Want To Hold Your Hand      Day TripperSgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band      Something
She Loves YouTicket To RideWith A Little Help From My FriendsLet It Be
A Hard Day's NightPaperback WriterWhen I'm Sixty FourRevolution
Can't Buy Me LoveNowhere ManLucy In The Sky With DiamondsGet Back
I Should Have Known BetterWe Can Work It Out      Penny LaneHere Comes The Sun
I Feel FineIn My LifeAll You Need Is LoveHey Jude
All My LovingYellow SubmarineA Day In The Life
Eight Days A WeekEleanor Ribgy
Things We Said TodayYesterday

Other tracks I tried but failed to make space for unless I do some painful switcherooing. :- She's A Woman, I'm A Loser, Drive My Car, Don't Let Me Down.

studpuppet

Quote from: wosl on June 26, 2015, 04:15:38 PM

8/10 for the cover. Ideally you should have the 'red' Beatles in place with the 'Blue' Beatles looking down on them from the floor above.

Replies From View

Quote from: wosl on June 27, 2015, 02:10:50 PM
In terms of George, I'd be looking to find a place for Taxman, Long, Long, Long and possibly The Inner Light or Within You Without You (heart also says Only A Northern Song, but head would probably overrule it).

I'd keep Taxman and Long Long Long, but let psychedelic era Harrison be represented by It's All Too Much.  The handclaps in that are sublime - like a thousand cows chewing all at once.

(Which would be a good thing to happen.)

daf

Quote from: studpuppet on July 01, 2015, 12:55:24 PM
8/10 for the cover. Ideally you should have the 'red' Beatles in place with the 'Blue' Beatles looking down on them from the floor above.

http://www.memlo.net/gallery/62-70.htm

studpuppet

Quote from: daf on July 01, 2015, 03:10:15 PM

http://www.memlo.net/gallery/62-70.htm

9/10 - I want lovable moptops below, with older, wiser, God-like heads surveying the scene from above.

Custard

And maybe their skeletons on the third floor

studpuppet

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 01, 2015, 04:25:58 PM
And maybe their skeletons on the third floor

The Macca one giving the thumbsup, the Ringo one giving it 'peaceandlove', the Lennon one with a bullet embedded in it, and the Harrison one with stab marks on its ribs...

Maybe an idea for Wimblewrong!

daf

Replies From View

Quote from: studpuppet on July 01, 2015, 12:55:24 PM

They are called the 'Please, Please Me' Beatles and the 'Get Back' Beatles you ABSOLUTELY FUCKING WRONG CUNT.