Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:59:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird Arty/European animations thread

Started by ajsmith, June 26, 2015, 05:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith

Starting this thread both for the purposes of trying to identify some memories I have, and also for anyone to share any recs of similar animations.

I've talking about the kind of arty/quite often east european and usually from the  60s/70s animations that would irregularly appear as midday schedule fillers on BBC2 and the like in the 80s/early 90s. They were often disquieting. Some vague memories: (should point out that all the cartoons were 2D style animation and had no spoken dialogue)

1) Horribly bleak black and white anti - war cartoon with a mournful violin soundtrack showing repeated images of a basically sketched tank (an evil eye of it's driver visible in it's gun barrel) shooting children carrying dolls; the children were shown breaking in fragments as they were shot. Was alone in the living room in the midday at the age of 8 or something and this came on and terrified and depressed me.

2) Animated anthropomorphic playing card placed on a claustrophobic static black background. The Playing card figure's two sides at either end keep fighting each other. At one point, one side of the playing card whips up the other ones clothes revealing genitals. Again, shocking for midday viewing in the late 80s.

3)Very vague this one, uselessly so, but anyway here goes.. black and white, group of Victorian gents in top hats moving from dark building interior to dark building interior, ominously threatened by something.. that's all I've got.

4) More cartoonish in visual style this one, but no less troubling. Three men (identical apart from colour coded t shirts of red blue and green) sitting in a row, taking turns rolling over each other with a garden roller. The red and blue guys survive this process, but the green guy gets rolled completely fan and dead. The other two don't seem to care. (this sequence was a small part of a longer cartoon but I forget any other details).

5) The least disturbing of these memories: An animation about elementary school/high school/ and university, with sesame street style visualisations of the various things you learn in each of these. Pompous classical soundtrack, conveying the idea of the greatness of learning. The last image was of a huge university balanced precariously on top of a mid - sized high school, which was on top of a tiny elementary school, to hammer home the point about educational progression.

Steven

What about the animation of livin' things being put onto a large conveyor belt contraption where they are separated and changed into two different types/colours which causes them to war? Probably some obtuse metaphor for racism or whatever.

Glebe

There was a kind of Claymation one I remember, possibly Czechoslovakian, about cavemen with a woolly mammoth and stuff. Ring a bell for anyone else?

great_badir

Quote from: Glebe on July 01, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
There was a kind of Claymation one I remember, possibly Czechoslovakian, about cavemen with a woolly mammoth and stuff. Ring a bell for anyone else?

There was one on BBC2 frequently shown in the 80s either immediately before or immediately after the Broomcupboard's slot, which I've been trying to track down for years.  I don't remember cavemen or a mammoth, but then I don't remember anything about it other than when it was on, that it was claymation, and Eastern European in origin.

ajsmith

https://youtu.be/SIY0c_OmcOY

This is a cool one I found through this youTube video of a BoC B-Side.