Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,478
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Congresswoman tries to ban memes

Started by Quincey, June 27, 2015, 12:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

Human rights organisation Article 19:
On 15 June 2015, Mexican congresswoman Selma Guadalupe Gómez Cabrera, of the Green Party, submitted the legislative initiative on Civil Liability for the Protection of Privacy, Honour and Self-Image to Sonora State Congress. The draft law would consider visual representations of people (such as memes) defamatory. The initiative contains various provisions which disproportionately restrict freedom of expression and information.

The Law purportedly seeks to "protect the moral heritage" of the Mexican state of Sonora and, among other things, regulate content on social networks. The fines could be as high as USD 1,600.

Contrary to what has been claimed in the media, this initiative would not only ban the circulation of "memes", but seeks to impose broader restrictions on various aspects of the exercise of freedom of expression.

http://www.article19.org/resources.php/resource/38024/en/mexico:-congresswoman-tries-to-ban-memes

I would have a problem with memes of ordinary people, but surely people in the public eye are fair game?

She just wanted to make herself a meme.

Mission accomplished.