Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,349
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Happy Mondays

Started by TJ, October 01, 2004, 11:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Well, it's about time we had a thread about them.

Ciarán2

You mentioned a "withdrawn song" by them in another thread. Any more details about that? Sounds interesting.

I prefer "Pills and Thrills..." to "Bummed" - that can be my unpopular opinion on this thread.

What did you think of that clip of Manic Street Preachers sitting around a TV watching a clip of "Loose Fit" on TOTP, saying "we were a reaction against this"? They seemed to be implying that "Loose Fit" had nothing to say, I think it says as much as any MSP lyric albeit using a completely different approach.

chand

Quote from: "Ciarán"What did you think of that clip of Manic Street Preachers sitting around a TV watching a clip of "Loose Fit" on TOTP, saying "we were a reaction against this"? They seemed to be implying that "Loose Fit" had nothing to say, I think it says as much as any MSP lyric albeit using a completely different approach.

Not 'Loose Fit' as such, but they did say a lot about baggy being wilfully stupid and apolitical music, they felt it was music about nothing, and they complained about that generation seemingly being content just to get off their heads of a weekend and nothing else.

Didn't stop them covering 'Wrote For Luck', though. I think they mellowed on the whole thing.

TJ

Quote from: "Ciarán"You mentioned a "withdrawn song" by them in another thread. Any more details about that? Sounds interesting.

It's called 'Desmond', and appeared on the original pressing of "Squirrel And G-Man". It paraphrases liberally from 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da' (but with a different tune) and therefore led to legal hassles, although the Beatles' publishers didn't seem bothered about Ryder later borrowing from 'Ticket To Ride' and 'A Day In The Life'. This would have been around the same time that The Beastie Boys' version of 'I'm Down' was blocked from release, if that means anything to any Beatleologers. Anyway, it was removed from the album shortly afterwards and replaced with '24 Hour Party People' (or was it actually 'Little Matchstick Owen's Rap', which was also added to the LP at the same time?). Original copies of the album are like gold dust, and I had to admit that I hadn't actually heard 'Desmond' (which they weren't even permitted to perform live) until a couple of days ago.

QuoteI prefer "Pills and Thrills..." to "Bummed" - that can be my unpopular opinion on this thread.

Oh I don't know - I'm sure most people feel that way. I prefer "Bummed", but I suspect it's never been as widely heard as its successor.

QuoteWhat did you think of that clip of Manic Street Preachers sitting around a TV watching a clip of "Loose Fit" on TOTP, saying "we were a reaction against this"? They seemed to be implying that "Loose Fit" had nothing to say, I think it says as much as any MSP lyric albeit using a completely different approach.

The Manic Street Preachers, or at least Richey, later sang The Mondays' praises at every given opportunity. And they also covered 'Wrote For Luck'. maybe it was the drug/hedonism image they objected to rather than the music?

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Ciarán"
What did you think of that clip of Manic Street Preachers sitting around a TV watching a clip of "Loose Fit" on TOTP, saying "we were a reaction against this"? They seemed to be implying that "Loose Fit" had nothing to say, I think it says as much as any MSP lyric albeit using a completely different approach.

That bunch of self important fucking fucks can fucking fuck off. Shaun Ryder is an infinitely better poet than that fucking idiot. A reaction to what? Drug culture? Beat poetry? Music for enjoyment, not just for psuedo-political commentary? Fuck off, fuck off fuck off! Mr. Ryder may have a face like a chewed scratching nowadays but he said more about the climate of the 1980s/1990s than any of that bunch of fucking mizzogs ever did.

TJ

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "Ciarán"

That bunch of self important fucking fucks can fucking fuck off. Shaun Ryder is an infinitely better poet than that fucking idiot. A reaction to what? Drug culture? Beat poetry? Music for enjoyment, not just for psuedo-political commentary? Fuck off, fuck off fuck off! Mr. Ryder may have a face like a chewed scratching nowadays but he said more about the climate of the 1980s/1990s than any of that bunch of fucking mizzogs ever did.

I agree completely. Which is more profound - 'God's Cop' or 'SYMM'?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "TJ"]This would have been around the same time that The Beastie Boys' version of 'I'm Down' was blocked from release.
Has anyone got or heard this? I've been looking for it for ages, or is there no mp3 of it in circulation?

Lloyd

TJ - get in touch - I've now got copies of 'Desmond' and 'Boom' on MP3 for you.
Cheers,
Lloyd.
quincy22001@yahoo.co.uk

TJ

Quote from: "Lloyd"TJ - get in touch - I've now got copies of 'Desmond' and 'Boom' on MP3 for you.
Cheers,
Lloyd.
quincy22001@yahoo.co.uk

Funnily enough, I was about to post an appeal for your current contact details RE: those Charlatans bootlegs!

Lloyd

Great! I'm going home now, but will mail you tomorrow.

Beagle 2

As far as I know the manic's weren't particularly having a go at the monday's, they covered wrote for luck and i've heard Wire say he likes them before, but then he does like to contradict himself every other sentence.

SYMM is by far the worst Wire lyric ever (until "collapsing like the twin towers, falling down like april showers" on the new APPALLING LP)

mayer

Quote from: "Beagle 2"but then he does like to contradict himself every other sentence.

i think the phrase was "walking mass of contradictions".

the cunt.

Peking O

The career downfall of the Happy Mondays saw a fascinating outpouring of hipocracy on behalf of the music press. At their height, middle class journo's liked nothing better than singing their praises, while fervently illustrating how their working class credentials acted as a badge of musical authenticity. Blind eyes were turned left right and centre to their less-than politically correct statements, with interviews often being cobbled together from the bare scraps of printable material. To fill the requisite word-count the scribes in question would usually pontificate endlessly on their drug use, while neatly skirting any odious bile the band may have uttered in the interview. This all came to an end when someone at NME decided to 'out' (ha!) the band's homophobic comments in an interview around the time of their lukewarm final album.

I've met Ryder a few times, and he's not a very pleasant bloke. The last time was a few months ago, in a club in Barcelona where he was supposed to be DJ-ing. Sadly this involved Ryder miming the words to 'Hallelujah' on his entrance, then waving records around in the air while someone else DJ-ed for him. He freaked out backstage because the requisite amount of pills weren't supplied for him, and when I came across him he was a fat, blubbering mess, literally shaking like a leaf at the prospect of not satisfying his nightly E habit. He looked like an oversized baby who was about to cry.

Top tunes though.

non capisco

Quote from: "Beagle 2"(until "collapsing like the twin towers, falling down like april showers" on the new APPALLING LP)

That's REAL????? Fuck me. Step aside, Bryan McFadden.

Beagle 2

Quotehe was supposed to be DJ-ing. Sadly this involved Ryder miming the words to 'Hallelujah' on his entrance, then waving records around in the air while someone else DJ-ed for him

Yeah, i saw Bez "DJ" at a club in Leicester and it was much the same. He mumbled a "coom ooon " a couple of times into a mic and then just stood there getting off with these two slags. I think he did a tiny bit of freaky dancing but it was basically a drunk grey haired twat sweating behing a DJ booth.

Sean Ryder has bored the crap out of me for years  now. I concede he's been involved in a couple of great records, but I hate the way people try and make out he's this really interesting person.

edit, hang on that was a bit arsh of me, he has written great lyrics and songs. I even really liked the first black grape album, just saying I could do without the type of people in then front row of his recent awful solo outings giving it "we're not worthy" at the physical wreck giving poor value for money just because they're there to see the legend Ryder, purely due to his hellraising/drug intake reputation, paying little attention to the tunes.

woollyback

I actually happen to think the first black grape album is bloody brilliant actually, and seems to have been overlooked more and more as time has passed.  That said, the constant HM 'reunions' are getting embarassing...they were billed as doing one this summer

axel

Ryder is DJing soon in Leeds at a Madchester night. Sounds appaling.

Surely the guy could do with a lie down, whenever i see him on TV or in a magazine he doesn't look long for this world. Mind you if thats the case i suppose he might as well enjoy it while it lasts.