Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2015/16

Started by finnquark, July 07, 2015, 06:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

I'm starting this as pre-season starts tonight for Alty. We've got 14 players signed on, of whom two are goalkeepers aged over 30. The bookies have us as favourites for the drop, and they're probably right, but who cares - this Christmas we get to play Chester home and away and Tranmere Rovers!

Footy. Yay!

The Duck Man

Let's start this thread off with a bang by asking whether a new website for Altrincham is in the offing? I know you do bits of volunteer media for them, finn, I dunno if the website volunteer run too.

I go down there on work socials when they play midweek, and will pop onto their website to look for news every couple of weeks. Each time I find it an absolute nightmare to navigate, with all the news for a month on one page and the club updates hidden amongst reems and reems of news about other Conference National League teams copied verbatim from other websites. I wish they'd change it, although I seem to recall this current version is actually relatively new.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: finnquark on July 07, 2015, 06:45:28 PM
I'm starting this as pre-season starts tonight for Alty. We've got 14 players signed on, of whom two are goalkeepers aged over 30. The bookies have us as favourites for the drop, and they're probably right, but who cares - this Christmas we get to play Chester home and away and Tranmere Rovers!

Footy. Yay!

I'll pop along and buy you a pint if we win and something hot from the pie stall if we lose.

Excited to be amongst the elite of the non-league jet-set!

BlodwynPig

Great story to start the new season
After Shoulders brought attention to recent Micronesia's noble losses against Fiji and Tahiti, they go a few better and lose 46-0 to Vanuatu. A shock result in some respect as Vanuatu were the worst of the three teams they played.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33400707

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Where's the passion Clive? Where's the pride of playing for your country?

I think a few of them are more interested in driving their flash cars and collecting their big Micronesian Premier League wages.

finnquark

Quote from: The Duck Man on July 07, 2015, 07:21:19 PM
Let's start this thread off with a bang by asking whether a new website for Altrincham is in the offing? I know you do bits of volunteer media for them, finn, I dunno if the website volunteer run too.

I go down there on work socials when they play midweek, and will pop onto their website to look for news every couple of weeks. Each time I find it an absolute nightmare to navigate, with all the news for a month on one page and the club updates hidden amongst reems and reems of news about other Conference National League teams copied verbatim from other websites. I wish they'd change it, although I seem to recall this current version is actually relatively new.

The website isn't changing anytime soon Duck. I'm only involved in the radio coverage of games, but the website is done by one man who is (rightly) very protective of it. The reason for the quantity of news is that there are no websites which really bring together daily news in such volume, and for non-league fans our website is a useful resource. For example, compared to the official league site it is far more comprehensive in terms of coverage of transfer/injury news. Like lots of things at part-time teams, it is run by a guy who just loves non-league, and wants to give fans (and casual visitors) as much information as possible. I agree the aesthetics of the page aren't the best, and people have suggested changes, but most people really love the sheer quantity of news in one place.

Thursday

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 07, 2015, 07:37:41 PM
Great story to start the new season
After Shoulders brought attention to recent Micronesia's noble losses against Fiji and Tahiti, they go a few better and lose 46-0 to Vanuatu. A shock result in some respect as Vanuatu were the worst of the three teams they played.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33400707

Questions must be asked about Vanuatu, why can't they can't they put in that kind of performance against the big teams?

Thursday

Honestly though, seeing things like that, I wonder how my year 6 football team would cope against them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Barcelona may turn it on at the Nou Camp but could they do it on a sunny July Day in Vanuatu is the question.

Danger Man

Quote from: Thursday on July 07, 2015, 08:11:56 PM
Questions must be asked about Vanuatu, why can't they can't they put in that kind of performance against the big teams?

FUCKING YES!!!

I've seen Vanuatu play and have been waiting years to casually mention this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Was this in the LDV Vanuatu trophy?

(next up i'm down to take the piss out of their sea level so brace yourselves for those upcoming laughs)

Danger Man

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 07, 2015, 08:20:23 PM
Was this in the LDV Vanuatu trophy?

21 Nov 2007 World Cup Qualifier: New Zealand 4 Vanuatu 1

John Frum scored their only goal.[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Frum[/nb]

finnquark

And here's a fantastic first video of the new thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrKx6r4I89U

Keysey! Keysey! Keysey!

Mijkediablo

Quote from: Danger Man on July 07, 2015, 08:28:06 PM
21 Nov 2007 World Cup Qualifier: New Zealand 4 Vanuatu 1

John Frum scored their only goal.[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Frum[/nb]

John frum Vanuatu?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: finnquark on July 07, 2015, 06:45:28 PM

Footy. Yay!

Your season properly starts on August 1st when I visit your lovely ground, along with Rob Page and the rest of the mighty Valiants. Have you got rid of all your ex Vale players now?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 07, 2015, 08:51:26 PM
Your season properly starts on August 1st when I visit your lovely ground, along with Rob Page and the rest of the mighty Valiants. Have you got rid of all your ex Vale players now?

Your season properly starts on Boxing day when I visit your lovely ground, along with Tony Mowbray and the rest of the mighty Sky Blues. Have you got rid of all your ex-Cov players now?

finnquark

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 07, 2015, 08:51:26 PM

We let big Kyle go, he's at Hednesford now. But we've still got Simon Richman; he's fantastic, an absolutely crucial player for us. Oh yeah and we've still got James Lawrie, who looks like a League One level player once every four games and is a joke the other three.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Mark Sampson needs to go. He's the reason nobody watches women's football.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can't wait for his successful 3 month tenure as Crawley Town manager.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: finnquark on July 07, 2015, 08:07:10 PM
people really love the sheer quantity of news in one place.

Quote of the season

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 07, 2015, 09:05:21 PM
Your season properly starts on Boxing day when I visit your lovely ground, along with Tony Mowbray and the rest of the mighty Sky Blues. Have you got rid of all your ex-Cov players now?

Enjoy that, might be a bit boring for you though. I'll be sat at the Ricoh watching the football, you FUCKING CHUMP.

I'm joining you non-league types for the first time in 16 years (Cheltenham), actually really looking forward to the season now after the worst year and a half for the club I can remember experiencing, Gary Johnson seems a decent manager and is basically starting from scratch which is what was needed.

chand

Fucking non-league wankers. Call yourself 'non-league' all you want, looks like a fucking league to me. If it's not a league why's there a table and every team has a position and you all play each other twice?

"Hey, check us out, we're non-league, not like you squares who play in a league". Pathetic.

It's a fucking conference mate. You're just jealous because we all get badges and delegate packs with free pens.

BlodwynPig

The league has become a tired place full of cliches, egos and port vale/cov bores.
Bring on Cheltenham, bring on Alty, bring on Guiseley!!

doppelkorn

Is Ice9 properly back or what then?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 07, 2015, 11:20:59 PM
Enjoy that, might be a bit boring for you though. I'll be sat at the Ricoh watching the football, you FUCKING CHUMP.

I don't care, we're already above you in the league, due to your club's slipshod decision not to call themselves Burslem Vale or whatnot.

Obel

Absolutely delighted that Spurs have signed Alderweireld. Seems like we're actually making an effort to fix up our religious defense. Hopefully he hits the ground running playing alongside Verts, Rose can maintain the kind of form he had last season and Trippier ends up being good at RB, we might actually be half decent at keeping clean sheets.
Lloris pls don't go.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAbsolutely delighted that Spurs have signed Alderweireld.

Watch him Lovren his way into absolute shite in 6 months time.

The Duck Man

Quote from: finnquark on July 07, 2015, 08:07:10 PM
The website isn't changing anytime soon Duck. I'm only involved in the radio coverage of games, but the website is done by one man who is (rightly) very protective of it. The reason for the quantity of news is that there are no websites which really bring together daily news in such volume, and for non-league fans our website is a useful resource.
Sorry, does feel a bit grubby criticising the work of volunteers. To clarify, I'm not suggesting that he drop the non-league news (although the people he copies and pastes from might be), but it would be good if it were split out into separate stories.

With regard to Alty's fixture list, I'm pleased to see plenty of Tuesday night games. I didn't end up there after September last season (although I did go to Macc away).