Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2015/16

Started by finnquark, July 07, 2015, 06:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Quote from: The Duck Man on July 08, 2015, 03:43:56 PM
Sorry, does feel a bit grubby criticising the work of volunteers. To clarify, I'm not suggesting that he drop the non-league news (although the people he copies and pastes from might be), but it would be good if it were split out into separate stories.

With regard to Alty's fixture list, I'm pleased to see plenty of Tuesday night games. I didn't end up there after September last season (although I did go to Macc away).

That's a really common point that's been made about it, and I think they put a new menu in a while ago with the aim of making it easier to navigate, but yeah, it's still a frustrating aspect to it.

I'm less pleased about the Tuesday nights, as I live down south, but there are still quite a few games I'll be able to get to. Already planning the commentary schedules for the opening month, I'll probably be doing Woking and Dover away before going back for the big one against Tranmere.

thraxx

On a day of personal and professional disappointments, well done Sterling for embarrassing Brendan Rogers and doing his best to confound Liverpool's pre-season.  Really cheered me up.

Eis Nein

What did he do?

Up next from Ward: Hair product burgled, pet lemur trapped behind wainscoting, Rodgers 'looked at him funny'.

I think we've already had the last one.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Eis Nein on July 09, 2015, 01:17:22 AM
What did he do?

Issued a 'come and get me' plea to Ronald Koeman?

Tapiocahead

He wants to leave because he's fallen out with Brendan because he wouldn't let him leave.

monkfromhavana

Does anyone know of any streaming sites that cater for non-uk types who want to watch some of these Europa League qualifiers tonight? I fancy Aberdeen vs. Alashkert but I don't think any of the main streaming sites are showing it.

Blinder Data

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 09, 2015, 06:11:30 PM
Does anyone know of any streaming sites that cater for non-uk types who want to watch some of these Europa League qualifiers tonight? I fancy Aberdeen vs. Alashkert but I don't think any of the main streaming sites are showing it.

Apparently UEFA were streaming that game and a few others live on their official site. Not sure if that depends on where you're watching it from though.

Sounds like Aberdeen won it by the skin of their teeth and St Johnstone decided it was their turn to be shit in Europe, losing to a ten-man Armeninan side. Results like this win me round to the view that Scottish football should probably be played in the summer.

Deanjam

Schweinsteiger apparently signed for United. [nb]The Manchester variety[/nb]

Van Dammage

Quote from: Deanjam on July 10, 2015, 10:27:08 PM
Schweinsteiger apparently signed for United. [nb]The Manchester variety[/nb]

Confirmed now! Very excited about that.

Eis Nein

Why so, are you a podiatrist?

chand

Could be a crazy summer for United, that's Schweinsteiger, Depay and Darmian signed, and we're still intent on signing Schneiderlin by all accounts. Very likely we'll be buying a centre back too, and with Falcao and RVP going probably a striker. Almost certainly gonna have to replace De Gea too, so that could mean seven major signings. Fucking hell.

phantom_power

I saw a funny post somewhere that with Schneider, Schneidnerlin and Shweinsteiger United could have the first Pokemon evolution midfield.

What do people make of this Darmian fellow? I remember people talking highly of him in the last world cup

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2015, 10:30:32 AM
with Schneider, Schneidnerlin and Shweinsteiger

They sound like different types of German food, all of which look slightly different but taste the same.

chand

I saw a funny post somewhere that with Schneider, Schneidnerlin and Shweinsteiger United could have the first Pokemon evolution midfield.

What do people make of this Darmian fellow? I remember people talking highly of him in the last world cup
If Darmian is a remotely competent right back who can kick a football properly then he'll be an improvement on Valencia.

Milverton

Southampton lost to Valencia last night. The club Valencia. 1-0.

Schweinsteiger derives from pig farmer, I believe.

finnquark

He's fantastic. Juve and Milan were both interested. Unlike most full-backs he can defend, as well as having the fitness to attack. He's also equally adept at right-back or right-wingback.

Van Dammage

Quote from: chand on July 12, 2015, 10:10:02 AM
Could be a crazy summer for United, that's Schweinsteiger, Depay and Darmian signed, and we're still intent on signing Schneiderlin by all accounts. Very likely we'll be buying a centre back too, and with Falcao and RVP going probably a striker. Almost certainly gonna have to replace De Gea too, so that could mean seven major signings. Fucking hell.

I hoping for someone like Cavani. It seems higuain is off limits now

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chand on July 12, 2015, 10:10:02 AM

Debt run formerly successful club continue trying to buy their way back into the big time. Crazy!

finnquark

Quote from: Van Dammage on July 12, 2015, 04:49:33 PM

Higuain's level is Napoli (as in if United have aspirations of winning the title and becoming competitive on the European stage again, he isn't the guy). There must have been five or six games that I saw last year where he missed a hatful of really good chances for Napoli. Thinking even of the final game of last season, he missed a penalty against Lazio which would have sent Napoli towards the Champions League. Big miss in the World Cup, big miss in the Copa this summer.

phantom_power

Quote from: finnquark on July 12, 2015, 04:21:30 PM
He's fantastic. Juve and Milan were both interested. Unlike most full-backs he can defend, as well as having the fitness to attack. He's also equally adept at right-back or right-wingback.

I saw that he was the national team player of the year in 2014, which is pretty impressive for a full back

phantom_power

Quote from: Van Dammage on July 12, 2015, 04:49:33 PM

I've never thought much of Cavani when I have seen him. He is preferable to Benteke though, which seems to be a rumour that is gathering pace

finnquark

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2015, 05:28:34 PM
I saw that he was the national team player of the year in 2014, which is pretty impressive for a full back

He was in the Serie A team of the year last year too. Torino had another good full back, D'Ambrosio, who left for Inter and has since plateaued a little there, but probably due to Inter being a mess more than anything else. Darmian is certainly better placed to do well at a bigger club.

Junglist

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 19 s
BREAKING: Liverpool have reached an agreement with Manchester City over the £49m transfer of Raheem Sterling

What an insane waste of money.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Junglist on July 12, 2015, 06:06:43 PM
BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 19 s
BREAKING: Liverpool have reached an agreement with Manchester City over the £49m transfer of Raheem Sterling

What an insane waste of money.

I wonder how quickly Liverpool can piss it away on mediocre players?

Van Dammage

Quote from: finnquark on July 12, 2015, 05:23:35 PM
Higuain's level is Napoli (as in if United have aspirations of winning the title and becoming competitive on the European stage again, he isn't the guy). There must have been five or six games that I saw last year where he missed a hatful of really good chances for Napoli. Thinking even of the final game of last season, he missed a penalty against Lazio which would have sent Napoli towards the Champions League. Big miss in the World Cup, big miss in the Copa this summer.

Oh shite I've done a whoopsie. I meant to say lacazette. Lyon apparently aren't accepting bids from anyone.

Gaitan seems next on Man U's list, apparently a swap deal with Rafael involved is in the works.

finnquark

The journos are falling over themselves to put themselves above any discussion of Sterling. It's pathetic.

Miguel Delaney ‏@MiguelDelaney  5m5 minutes ago
Can't keep up with the laughter at how much City played or the backlash that "hey, he's a good player", or the backlash against the backlash

I'm so glad he's above it all.

phantom_power

It's not that crazy really. He is a highly rated player and City need English players for the quota so there is a premium attached for that. I know the shine has come off him a bit because of the manoeuvring for a transfer but he was pretty much the only highlight of Liverpool's season

chand

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2015, 05:30:02 PM
I've never thought much of Cavani when I have seen him. He is preferable to Benteke though, which seems to be a rumour that is gathering pace
The upside to Benteke though is that he may be more open to playing second fiddle to Rooney. If we don't want to see Rooney playing midfield or number 10 (and I sure as fuck don't), then we're looking at signing someone to be on the bench a fair bit.

RDRR

I view taking on board sports' journalists views on well-known teams/players as analogous to listening to Nicholas Witchell jabber on, with the for-once articulated proviso that "Of course this is all utterly trivial, and anyone that truly cares and doesn't receive a decent salary for the pretence of it all is a fucking idiot."

But for football being a bit more fun than a horse-woman whumping out already-balding sprogs.

As a disclaimer I should add that I really enjoy football, I'm not just being a dick. Not just.