Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"What a very stupid plot"

Started by great_badir, July 08, 2015, 08:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

great_badir

Re-watching the rather excellent The China Syndrome last night, I started to think about films which feature "ridiculous, would never happen in real life" plot elements that later happened in real life. 

The China Syndrome was heavily criticised when it was released for scare-mongering an "impossible eventuality", but within weeks the Three Mile Island accident happened.

The Siege was labelled as a silly playground game of terrorism and an unrealistic portrayal of how a major city and the national government would respond to that kind of terrorism.  And then basically most of it happened on and immediately after 9/11.

Robocop 2 featured the city of Detroit comically declaring bankruptcy.  The city of Detroit very seriously declared bankruptcy in 2013.

Any others?

Hollow

The countless Black Presidents there were in films before Obama?

Thinking about it...it was probably all predictive programming...:)

madhair60

I used to think the Saw movies were absurdly over-the-top in their depictions of outlandish mechanical devices and traps to cause appalling human suffering, but I've been getting away with similar antics for a good few years now in me shed.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

the plot of "Debbie Does Dallas", before I met your mum.

great_badir

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 08, 2015, 01:31:36 PM
the plot of "Debbie Does Dallas", before I met your mum.

Almost as hard to believe when she did it a second time.

Ahhhh, dear old mum.  RIP[NB]she's not dead[/NB].

Hollow

Have you shagged all our mums?

She's 86 man!!!!

Serge

Well, the opening scene of 'Wild Tales' has drawn flack (from arseholes) because of its uncanny similarity to
Spoiler alert
the Germanwings crash.
[close]

MoonDust

Titanic.

An unsinkable ship made of steel gets sunk by an iceberg of all things, then it snaps in half for seemingly no reason whatsoever!

Then a few weeks later I found out something pretty much exactly the same happened.

Blumf

Quote from: MoonDust on July 08, 2015, 10:31:01 PM
...then it snaps in half for seemingly no reason whatsoever!

Built by Micks init.

greenman

The Thing, a merciless alien hides amoug us preying on human misery to further its own ends.