Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Pulp Fiction shit?

Started by Noodle Lizard, July 12, 2015, 01:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

For what it's worth, I think Scorsese is still capable of producin Great Stuff.

I've had to go back quite a bit in his filmography to find something I actually dislike (Gangs of New York).

He was my favorite director for a while, actually, back when I was a young un. Seein Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and King of Comedy and all that for the first time within the space of a couple weeks, Jesus sure you're out for the count for days. 

greenman

The ending of the King of Comedy wasn't even that unrealistic was it? if such events actually took place the book deal at the very least would almost certainly happen and maybe some kind of TV career as well if he showed a bit of repentance.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on July 17, 2015, 06:43:54 PM
For what it's worth, I think Scorsese is still capable of producin Great Stuff.

I've had to go back quite a bit in his filmography to find something I actually dislike (Gangs of New York).

He was my favorite director for a while, actually, back when I was a young un. Seein Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and King of Comedy and all that for the first time within the space of a couple weeks, Jesus sure you're out for the count for days.

Absolutely with you on the last part and I guess you're right on the first, but I absolutely hated Wolf of Wall Street so it soured things for a bit after 'yeah it's quite good' being my reaction to most of his recent stuff before that.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah Wolf of Wall Street is horrible, so bad that it makes you think he was interested in gangsters for all the wrong reasons.

Shutter Island was a largely forgettable paint-by-numbers psychological thriller except the flashback to Leo's character liberating a concentration camp. That scene was astounding[nb]it's on youtube as "Shutter Island best scene" an all so there[/nb] and, not surprisingly, the only part of the film I remembered when it was brought up here (apart from the twist, of course).

Hollow

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 17, 2015, 11:24:08 AM
It also upped the game and lowered the stakes.  Five bags of popcorn.

Yes sorry for the clichés...but I've never seen him make a gothic thriller before and it was a success I think, that late in his career not many directors could do that.

I really like Cape Fear too...I think it pisses over the original, well apart from Mitchum of course...but De Niro's Cady had a lot of good stuff going on...it does have Juliet Lew....fuck it the original is better.

Hollow

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on July 18, 2015, 01:03:23 AM
Shutter Island was a largely forgettable paint-by-numbers psychological thriller except the flashback to Leo's character liberating a concentration camp. That scene was astounding[nb]it's on youtube as "Shutter Island best scene" an all so there[/nb] and, not surprisingly, the only part of the film I remembered when it was brought up here (apart from the twist, of course).

What about the bit where his wife turns to ashes in his hands? It's simply the most beautiful scene in film history...and one of the best uses of CGI too, the fire is gorgeous.

Yes...I've thought about it and I think that's a sincere statement...it's so nice.

Isn't it?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Hollow on July 18, 2015, 01:07:38 AM
What about the bit where his wife turns to ashes in his hands? It's simply the most beautiful scene in film history...

Room 1408 did it better! https://youtu.be/XWnN2Y6ObJc?t=2m2s

(not really, but I'll never pass up an opportunity to post that scene and John Cusack's stupid reaction)

Hollow

That film is pretty poor...I like the downer ending version better than the theatrical release...I say downer, for me it's quite good cause I don't like John Cusack...I hate him for Grosse Point Blank, which despite having the worst name in film history after To Wong Foo, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar...still manages to be utter shit...do you see what I did there?

Puce Moment

Quote from: Hollow on July 18, 2015, 01:07:38 AM
What about the bit where his wife turns to ashes in his hands? It's simply the most beautiful scene in film history...and one of the best uses of CGI too, the fire is gorgeous.

Yes...I've thought about it and I think that's a sincere statement...it's so nice.

Isn't it?

Yeah, that whole bit really does carry some of the shittiness of the rest of the film (mainly the reveal scene).