Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

help!

Started by TraceyQ, October 01, 2004, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TraceyQ

I've decided to do some flyers/posters for my DJ night ... I've got this far but it needs more... can anyone point me in the direction of what I can do to make this more eye catching?

DerryPortice

..i have no idea, but who's da hunny?

TraceyQ

"da hunny" is me. About 3 hairstyles ago.

Neil

Change the font colour?  White maybe?  Bit hard to read now I think.

P.S. if in doubt, use lens flare.  Lots and lots of lens flare.  That might be a lie.

Remember, black and white are not colours in the true sense, so try and liven it up a bit... fill the text with a colour so its easier to read, mention the radio show etc. Go find some flyers you might have from past gigs and rip them off.

Rats

That's fine as it is. Was this http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001006/eraserhead.gif your inspiration? Maybe put the address and stuff on a white background so you can read it easier.
http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/Clipboard01.jpg

untitled_london

they've all said it already, re: the text.

the bit that caught my eye, (other than day hunny) was the grey patches on the right, i guess its the hairline shadow blending into the black background. for me, its doesn't add really add much, maybe if you took that out it might help the text.

that said tho, i like it as is.

splattermac

edit:

are you thinking of B&W because you can just photocopy it, the classic pub flyer?

Ambient Sheep

Echo what everyone says about the writing.

Given that, my first question on picking up such a flyer (which I do, regularly) would be "*which* two Saturdays every month??".  How about "1st and 3rd Saturday of every month" or isn't it that simple?  If it isn't, then stick with your original wording and add the venue's telephone number so that people can check.

Good luck BTW, glad to see it seems to be taking off for you.

Cerys

Yes indeedy!  Can I have your autograph, please...?

I'm in agreement with those who say go for more colour.  Bright yellow text would probably do the trick.

Smackhead Kangaroo

If the presumption about photocopying is true I suggest you reduce the amount of grit in your whites, coz it will have a tendency to come out arse in the wash. possibly just make it clean white.

Invert the picture colours? Somehow inversion sits well in my head with fashion victim

TraceyQ

Quote from: "splattermac"edit:

are you thinking of B&W because you can just photocopy it, the classic pub flyer?

Bingo, me ol' chyna.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "splattermac"are you thinking of B&W because you can just photocopy it, the classic pub flyer?
Bingo, me ol' chyna.
OK, well in that case you still need to make the bottom line more readable.  At the moment it just hurts the eyeballs.  Either change the font (which would make it inconsistent with the top, but probably a price worth paying) or put it on an all-white or all-black background.

And add the venue telephone number... ;-)

sproggy

Just one other thing, for the people who don't know you're a DJ there is nothing to say what happens in the Wheatsheaf two Saturdays a month.

Might be lap dancing...

..I'm sure you could do without that sort of clientele, non?

TraceyQ

Bleugh.

Ok Cheers, I knew the bottom font was a bit pale so I'll get that sorted. And I'll add the phone number. :P

Thanks for being gentle, it was my first time doing anything like this.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "sproglette"Just one other thing, for the people who don't know you're a DJ there is nothing to say what happens in the Wheatsheaf two Saturdays a month.  Might be lap dancing...
That's very true.  I've been handed flyers in the street before now that give no indication what they're actually FOR.  I know it'd be uncool to give too many details out, and you don't want to make it TOO wordy, but some basic indication that it's a DJ night and maybe roughly what you play would be useful.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Thanks for being gentle, it was my first time doing anything like this.
No probs...but no need to be anything else because there's nowt much wrong with it except the finer details.

Do come back with the next version, won't you?

Rubbish Monkey

A nice outer glow or stroke effect on the writing would maybe make it a little clearer.  Graft on a cock or two and its perfect

notnotnatnats

Nice flyers! I have my first DJ set next week in Hitchin and i'm bloody nervous. Perhaps a kind whore will help me design some flyers for my next one too!

splattermac

remember this one? :)

If I could find the orginal photo I could do a much better job of it these days.

notnotnatnats

Haha! I remember that! Perhaps if I can afford to splash out on colour photocopies i'll use it next time.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "splattermac"remember this one? :)
If I could find the orginal photo I could do a much better job of it these days.
I think that's from the Bristol Meet 1 set, but the thread's unfindable, and I can't remember the URL of the webspace I used (it was Rats').  I've probably got the original on a hard drive somewhere but...yes...250 miles away.  Could get it over the weekend though, I'm back in Swansea then.