Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Contradiction: Spot the Liar!

Started by QRDL, July 17, 2015, 01:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QRDL

I thought you guys might be interested in this game. I will introduce it via a 2-part Quick Look (the ending of the second one is really something):
Quick Look: Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
Quick Look: Contradiction: Spot the Liar! [SUPPLEMENTAL]

Benjaminos

This looks splendid. Had to tear myself away from the Quick Look, as I didn't want to spoil too much of it - Jenks' "acting" is a marvel to behold. Just bought it for the iPad, gonna give it a whirl on the train tonight.

Weirdly, that's the first Quick Look I haven't really enjoyed very much - I think they got stuck in the 'this is going to be shit' mindset too early, so their nitpicking was annoying more than anything else. If you can look past the dreadful acting, lots of other people are saying it's great.

QRDL

It's quite funny because during the quick look they slowly realize that the game is actually fucking brilliant and end up completely enthralled. So much so, that they continued playing and later supplemented the quick look by another half an hour which ends in a scene that got everybody on board. It quickly became a local cult in the forums, word got out via twitter and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that GB are now responsible for the majority of sales of this game on PC. Tim Follin and the cast got in touch on the forums thanking the "community" for being the first to actually get what the game is about. A couple of days earlier they got an unfavourable review on RPS apparently.

CHECKTHISOUT

Also, the NY Team want to finish the game live this Friday, but I'm afraid that's behind a paywall.

EDIT: Also, there are GIFs and vines and forum threads a plenty, some of them started by the dev/cast. I am not kidding about a cult following:
I visited the town from Contradiction and I took photos!
Some people have learned that they live a couple minutes by foot from each other, babies are born etc.

MojoJojo

*aside* I googled "spot the liar rock paper shotgun" to read their review of it, and the first article to come up was the Peter Molyneux interview.

QRDL

I can't wait till you learn who plays the main baddie. Don't spoil it for yourself by searching the webs!

lazyhour

Really good to see Jeremy Vine branching out into acting.

Ferris

With all the travelling over the holiday season, I've been doing the bulk of my gaming on iPad and Switch and the number of great little mobile games that I've missed by being a console bore is amazing.

I played this one a few years back, but had another run through over the weekend and it is just as bonkers and fun as I remember. Everybody hamming it up to the Nth degree, looking like an extended crossover episode of the Crystal Maze, Doctor Who and Jonathan Creek.

Figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one (as I don't have much to add other than "play it, it's fun" and "has anyone else played this? It's fun"), but it's another relatively cheap game (think I paid $8 for it) for mobile that is worth your time. In an era of $80 triple-A preorder DLC, that is to be applauded. I figured CaBbers would enjoy its weird sense of humour and quirky story that... well, is unique to say the least.

Dewt

madhair60

canadagoose

I wondered why this thread had been bumped. Glad to see it was the BALDY thing too.

Dewt

It was actually Ferris posting with genuine intent, but then we came along to make a mockery of that.

Dewt

The (archived) Twitch stream in which Limmy goes around on Street View looking at the filming locations for the game is incredible too. He finds a hut which he theorises is for containing any Scottish people they find in the village, and it is just glorious.

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on December 31, 2019, 07:39:26 PM
It was actually Ferris posting with genuine intent, but then we came along to make a mockery of that.

That'll learn me!

canadagoose

Quote from: Dewt on December 31, 2019, 07:39:26 PM
So it was, too. I didn't even see Ferris' post. But now I have!

Such a shame there's no sign of a sequel.

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on December 31, 2019, 08:41:31 PM
So it was, too. I didn't even see Ferris' post. But now I have!

Such a shame there's no sign of a sequel.

It is, really - it's a nice idea for a game and the core mechanic is good but it is clearly a bit of a rush job and the ending is half arsed. I really like that kind of game - first time through I streamed onto the Apple telly and played it with mrs Ferris and it was like a board game we could play while making dinner. A world away from most video games and a shame there isn't more of a market for them. Such is life!

Rev+

The Shapeshifting Detective is worth a crack too, not least because it also stars yer man.  Entirely conversation based, but with the twist that you have the ability to transform into any of the characters you've already spoken to, in order to learn about secrets they share with others and such.  Even hammier than Contradiction, and has a bit of replay value as the murderer you're hunting down is set randomly at the start of the game.