Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Salt of the Earth (2014)

Started by WesterlyWinds, July 17, 2015, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesterlyWinds

I'm planning on going to see it tonight as I love spending my Friday evenings in a dark room watching depressing documentaries (last week it was The Look of Silence).

It's a documentary about the photographer Sebastião Salgado who has spent much of his traversing the globe and chronicling human life, much of it through a lens of disaster and misfortune (i.e. famines, international conflicts etc). As always with material like this he has been criticised of fetishising human misery, but I think I'll wait until I've lapped it all up before I pass judgement on whether his whole life's work was a sham.

I'm hoping it will be as good as McCullin, which explored the war photography of Don McCullin and was incredibly bleak yet fascinating at the same time.

Has anyone seen this? I know we've got some budding photographers and film buffs on here, so thoughts and comments on the film are encouraged (particularly if the comment is 'shit mate, don't bother'.)