Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stencil Designs - T Shirts

Started by Jet Set Willy, October 02, 2004, 06:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jet Set Willy

I have for a while been thinking about making my own T-shirts using stencils to make actually interesting/not completely twatty designs. However I kept putting it off and off because I couldn't afford any of the stuff I would have needed.

But now I have decided to get a move on. I have a few ideas for designs that I have put together, but my attempts to come up with a few more today have been frustrating.

Now I know what you're thinking, but I'm not planning on doing this for profit! I just think it would be fun and rewarding to be able to wear something that I had made, and to 'give' them to friends (at minimum possible cost, which I'm pretty sure should be nearer a fiver than a tenner).

So I thought I'd see if you creative lot could come up with any funky designs! If I decided to make prints of any of them then obviously I would make them available to 'whores (within reason), and certainly to the designer... if they wanted one.

So anyway, at the moment I am only thinking about single colour prints- maybe I will do more layers on them once I have actually tried it out. But, the fact that they will be simple stencils puts big restrictions on the designs!

QuoteWhen constructing your image it is important to remember the fundamentals of a basic stencil, you cannot have any enclosed white spaces or 'islands' inside any black areas (fig 1.2) (because essentialy these black areas are what you will be cutting out).

You can see how to turn a photo into the kind of design I am thinking of here (using photoshop).

It would be nice if any of you could come up some designs... and of course I would never try to pass them off as my own.

splattermac

are you going to spray them on your tees?

What method of getting the image on to the material are we talking here, I'm interested.

If you go to a material store and buy a large sheet of fuzzyfelt you can cut the image out of that and then sew it on, fuzzyfelt was early vector art.

I did a stencil Hank

here's a macho Turbonegro tee for you

Sivead

My favorite Guess Who? character.

Jet Set Willy

It's true, that is cool... a possibility!

Where did you get the source image from, could do a range of the stupidest faces from guess who?

Rubbish Monkey

I've been meaning to do this for a while, what a perfect opportunity to get off my fat lazy arse and do make designs, which I will do later, probably.

Santa's Boyfriend

What would be the best spraypaint to use if you're going to do stencils that won't wash off?

Jet Set Willy

Hey you lot were meant to be giving me ideas, not the other way round!

I've thought about paints like these, or using a roller and normal fabric paint. (which would probably not work/ be a complete waste of paint)

Any better ideas/ suggestions?

Cerys

If you're going to be using a roller, could you go a step further from stencils and silk-screen it?  Get an old net curtain, stretch it over a wooden packing frame, stick the stencil on it.  Means you don't have the problem with white spaces.

I stress that this is just a thought.  I've never tried it.  Lino print girl, me.  I've got the scars to prove it.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "splattermac"If you go to a material store and buy a large sheet of fuzzyfelt you can cut the image out of that and then sew it on, fuzzyfelt was early vector art.

Appliqué.

You could use thinned out acrylic paints and a brush?

What kind of designs are you after?

splattermac

ah it has a proper name.

For some reason that reminded me of an awful (cringe) idea I had involving a velco cuff and stick on letters, the tag line was 'off the cuff' ,

I've recreated the offending item here

There was a recent thing in Marmalade magazine about kids drawing on their school shirt collars and cuffs to spruce up an otherwise boring school garment. I suppose it's just the same idea, a naff one.

haha, but with OFF instead of OF, must be weak velco and it fell off when I was taking OFF my jacket :/

mrpants

There's a good tutorial for printing stencils out onto t-shirts at //www.stencilrevolution.com.

jutl

This is extremely offensive, so apologies.  (click image for higher res psd).

Jet Set Willy

Well I had to look up who she was, and think that would be a quite good t-shirt.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe you could make the Tshirts really popular and everyone would go round wearing them as a fashion statement, completely oblivious to who she is, like people do with their Che Guevara Tshirts.

mook

Leni Reifenstahl my jacksie. Don't let Jutl wind you up, he knows full well that's the brunette from Human League. The little tinker.

jutl

Quote from: "mook"Leni Reifenstahl my jacksie. Don't let Jutl wind you up, he knows full well that's the brunette from Human League. The little tinker.

Absolutely not.

splattermac

jutl has a nazi girlfriend, ner ner ner

I suppose it's not like you want her for her mind so it's ok.

I've seen her work floating around the torrent sites but haven't dabbled beyond the clips I've seen.

jutl

Quote from: "splattermac"jutl has a nazi girlfriend, ner ner ner

I suppose it's not like you want her for her mind so it's ok.

I've seen her work floating around the torrent sites but haven't dabbled beyond the clips I've seen.

I reckon she was unfairly demonised for sexist reasons cf Myra Hindley, but unlike Myra Hindley, she didn't look like a docker in a mail-order wig.